Topic: Over packing my recordings

I have this latent tendency to over record my songs, and then I want everything forward in the mix, I like this bit bring that up, oh I like that bit make that louder, I cant hear the guitar...etc etc, any one else suffer with over packing?

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Over packing my recordings

Yes me, lol I know the feeling,sometimes its hard to not do it, because of the same reasons as you, but I could suggest what I do about it and that is to make several copies of the same song with different mixes and sit on them and after a while listen to them one at a time but not all in the same day and one will standout as the best and the nice thing is you still have the other samples so if you change your mind you can switch them,mixing is the hardest part and what I do is visit myspace pages of notable artists and make a log of where the drums are or the bass or vocal,keys,guitar in the pan, like center,left of center etc.. also I pay attention to the volume of the individual instruments and the one thing Ive noticed is it varies with the song so this tells me the engineers mixed it on the fly so to speak and probably had several samples of mixes to choose from plus almost all tracks are sent to a remix factory that specializes in this,we dont have that resource not to mention the expensive equipment eg. mic's, pro tools,professional engineers so its understandable why there results sound great and added to the talents of the artist who record the song its hard not to sound really good but once in a while we mere mortals produce a masterpiece in spite of our limited resources and that's what keeps our spirit alive and nurtures our faith in ourselves,keep on doing um phill ya sound great to me. russ

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Your such a lovelly person Russ, and your right of course, no matter how good it sounds tonight, tomorrow it'll sound crap.

keep the faith...rock on

phill

Phill
I'm no pro but I'll second Russell on that.
Ya got a grreat voice laddie and a keen sense of how to write a song.
You just keep on keepin on. smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

thanks jock,

may your porridge be warm your bag pipes dry and your sporran...well wink

phill

Ok im gonna ask,I know I shouldn't, but im compelled by my curious nature and I will most likely regret it, but what in blue blazes is sporran? and if the answer is to graphic for chordie send me an email I have a sneaky hunch its something to do with the reproductive system,just a hunch lol

Phill Williams wrote:

thanks jock,

may your porridge be warm your bag pipes dry and your sporran...well wink

phill

Russell your mind is working on overtime again lol.

A kilt has no pockets so a sporran is the (often furry) bag that a Scot wears around his waist to keep his loose change and ciggies in.

Here check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporran

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Aye laddie I musta hada wee bit o the ice cream in me head lol

Roger Guppy wrote:

Russell your mind is working on overtime again lol.

A kilt has no pockets so a sporran is the (often furry) bag that a Scot wears around his waist to keep his loose change and ciggies in.

Here check this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sporran

Roger

Thanks for the explanation Roger, but having worn a kilt at my son's wedding [in Scotland 2 years ago] I can confirm that there is another wee jobby they perform, which has to do with the reproductive system...keep it warm...ahhhh  cool

Phill

Yes Phill that is very important lol especially in wisconsin where the temps get to -25 below but I dont think you folks across the pond will ever have to deal with these temps. and none but the brave would wear a kilt in winter here smile