Topic: computer recording

I use a Boss micro br recorder, which I love, but it has some limmitations, ie the drum unit is off or on all the time.

I have a lap top and wonder just what I would need to use a computer as a recording studio.

how fast
how much memory
what cards
what conections
what software (I have downloaded Audacity, but in truth I don't understand it)
what do I need to learn (technically)

Thanks

TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: computer recording

tony I have a series of video tutorials on audacity and there free to download from my mediafire link at the bottom of this post,I would suggest downloading 1,2,3 and 4 from the Audacity folder they are visual aids that will answer your questions regarding Audacity,I think if you can download a minimum of 35 MB you should be alright and they do make jump drives to store music you process with audacity that adapt to a USB port with regards to connections the videos are self explanatory they can provide the information regarding what is needed and any questions you have just ask and I will do my best to help and if I dont know the answer there are many here who do and would be just as eager to help smile

tony eaves wrote:

I use a Boss micro br recorder, which I love, but it has some limmitations, ie the drum unit is off or on all the time.

I have a lap top and wonder just what I would need to use a computer as a recording studio.

how fast
how much memory
what cards
what conections
what software (I have downloaded Audacity, but in truth I don't understand it)
what do I need to learn (technically)

Thanks

TonyBlue

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I would suggest using reaper....REAPER is a fully featured multitrack audio and MIDI recording, editing, processing, mixing, and mastering environment...and can be evaluated with full functionality...
http://www.reaper.fm/
Computer specs for reaper
Recommended system: Multiple processors, Windows 2000/XP/Vista with 1GB RAM, >1GB free disk space, 1280x1024 in 16.7M colors, ASIO sound drivers

Minimum system: 500mhz processor, Windows 98/ME/2000/XP/Vista/WINE with 128MB RAM, 10MB free disk space, 800x600 in 256 colors or higher, Windows compatible sound hardware

AUDIO
get yourself a 1/4female-1/8 male adapter to plug from your instrument to your soundcard (mic input or line in input) and you are good to go..

there are audio interfaces out there that you can use to record instead of going into you audio card on your puter....some are USB interfaces and some are Firewire interfaces....From what ive read...the firewire is the way to go...but you will need a firewire card installed into a pci slot on your puter if you dont already have one..

MEMORY and Processor
The more you have the better...when i started i used a 1.2 ghz laptop with 128mb ram and 30 gig hardrive on Windows XP....about 4 tracks was all i ever used then but i wasnt using alot of effects...and it held up fine....

Learning
Play around with it....getting started sections are a good way to get the concept of how the software is setup...

riddler I always know I can count on you for all the tech information and sound advice, if you recommend reaper please walk tony thru all the steps he needs to get up and running as you and Scott are up to date on this software if this is what he chooses to go with,if not I can help him with the audacity program ether way the important thing is he will be able to get going smile

WOW the second answer is very good and detailed, but as I partly konw a bit about Aduacity I will try the first one first.

Thanks Russel I will download the information

ok tony after watching the video tutorials if you have any questions both riddler and myself can help provide answers good luck smile

tony eaves wrote:

WOW the second answer is very good and detailed, but as I partly konw a bit about Aduacity I will try the first one first.

Thanks Russel I will download the information

Cheers Russell
I have downloaded all your files and found them very helpful.  Alas I now know that if I turn off the computer the files are lost.
I will starting from tomorrow to download just one file and make notes as I need them
Once again thank you very much
TonyBlue

your welcome and cant you store the files on a jump drive like a 1 gig stick? either way good luck with it and if you need any assistance you know where to find me smile