Topic: Poems are not Songs

Please post Songs (lyrics & chords) here in the Songwriting section.

Please post Poems (words only) in the Poems section of the chordie forum.

This rule is not 'Anti-Poet', rather it is 'Pro-Songwriter'.

Thank You!

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: Poems are not Songs

that may be so, but saying poems are not songs is kinda heavy... Bob Dylan prooves you wrong

Poems are poems, when music is added, it then is a song.

my 2 cents..  Badeye.. cool

one caper after another

4 (edited by getfiddle 2009-01-30 23:04:01)

I agree with stevie ray. The Doors did alot of music based poetry. I have some Doors Cds where Jim Morrison did poetry while background music was playing. How do we explain that? But I'm glad we have the poetry section! So all is good. My 2 cents!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle wrote:

I agree with stevie ray. The Doors did alot of music based poetry. I have some Doors Cds where Jim Morrison did poetry while background music was playing. How do we explain that? But I'm glad we have the poetry section! So all is good. My 2 cents!

Very easily explained. Music + lyrics+= song. Lyrics + no music = poetry.

Give everything but up.

6 (edited by vagabondramblers 2009-03-04 20:14:43)

I consider myself both a poet and a songwriter....where the hell do the words(lyrics) come from other than in poetic form??? Yes, I do agree that some songs are written for musical progressions ....However, take a look at all of the great songs(like the ones that you just can't get out of your head) They're all based in poetry. This is my whole Quarter!!!
KS/TVR

I know I am bringing up an old topic here but...

What about hymns or other songs that don't necessarily have music with them or music that breaks in near the end? Some
A cappella gospel-bluegrass songs ring a bell. "Wayfaring Stranger" is one that I just listened to.

You have to wonder though, seeing as how this is a guitar forum, how often would somebody post an A cappella song?

Really I am just playing devils advocate here, but it's something to think about.
I liked the idea of the poetry section anyway, you just need to be careful when you say what is or is not music.

cheers,
AW

Mandolin>guitar

Well I believe that songs are forms of poetry. They have a rythm and flow, just like poetry does. They (can) rhyme just like poetry. They may not be written with poetry in mind, but if you think about it, songs (the words) are just poetry with added music.

SouthPaw41L wrote:
getfiddle wrote:

Then by your own reasoning, A person who sings songs with no musical accompaniment is only reciting poetry! They might differ with you on that one!

A musician is someone with too much time on their hands! Thank god I'm a musician!!!

getfiddle wrote:
SouthPaw41L wrote:
getfiddle wrote:

Then by your own reasoning, A person who sings songs with no musical accompaniment is only reciting poetry! They might differ with you on that one!

Singing is music. I guess I needed to be more specific.

Music + lyrics= song.  Spoken lyrics + no music = poetry

Give everything but up.

11 (edited by getfiddle 2009-05-06 17:32:15)

Okay, just trying to understand. That explaination makes sense. I do consider the human voice an instrument. Thanks.

when you really get down to it you can think of the music itself as a poem, and the notes the words. you have rythme, a asigned beat, and if its good enough you can make the listener feel what your playing.

I have to put my 2 shillings worth in...

In Wales there is a tradition of the BARD. The bard, was a kind of troubadour, that would travel the highways from town to village singing songs of great battles, sometimes with the aid of a harp sometimes without.

It was often said that as the bard recited a poem that his voice was so beautiful that the sound was like angels singing. This tradition continues to this day with the Welsh National Eisteddfod, which began due to the South Welsh had sweet voices, and the North Welsh had the gift of poetry.

The song is there, it is for the listener, or reader to hear it.

Phill

I think songs and poems should be categorized for easier access.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Have you heard Wynken, Blinken & Nod?

Have not logged on for a while and am trawling through old posts and this is the funniest post I've ever read.
Surely it started out as a request to simply post appropriate material in the appropriate forum and has ended up a high-level philosophical discussion.
Oh to be a moderator.

POEMS: are poems.
SONGS are songs
BUT THEY ARE OFTEN USED TO ADD NOTES AND YOU HAVE A SONG, an example is BOB DYLAN.

Definitely not a poem is: "baby you can drive my car....beep beep love"

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Poems are Poems and Songs are Songs thats it!!

I deleted the spam links from your personal information please do not post them again

"Growing old is not for sissies"

rhddd3uu wrote:

Poems are Poems and Songs are Songs thats it!!

***links removed by moderator Russell_Harding*** 5/27/10

"Growing old is not for sissies"

ha ha poems are like Shakespeare status!
and songs are more like billy joesl

we have so much more to win then we could ever lose!- The Afters

You guys are crazy! Here y'all are arguin' 'bout whether poems are songs or not when the answer is right in front a you.......umm...it was here a second ago.....once I find it I'll let you know.:)

hi all i don't know why you are all debating on this issue,JAMES HAS EXPLAINED CLEARLY WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO,he's 100% right so follow his direction and you can't go wrong,so concentrate on your POEMS OR SONGS and put them in the correct catorgory,thank you all.....stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

He may be right but some song writers just do their lyrics because they haven't created music for it yet or they only sing acapella so it may be poetry but before you go around bashing it as poetry I would make sure they mean it to be songs before you post stuff on here because I know a lot of bands and famous rappers, etc. that sing only lyrics but no music....

Poetry should have scansion & metor, without a melody it ain't music. Music can sustain a word for a number of beats, poetry can't. Whether Rap is Music....well, maybe I shouldn't comment!

You can't take more out of life, than you are prepared to put in.

I gotta add that difficulty can occur while forming a song strictly from poetry, having it fit the music and structure is quite difficult. I've tried and didn't quite get the desired results, so the only way around it is modifications. These days the music comes first with a whole lot of adlib. William Blake would probably appreciate Classical music over any type of music I would think.  My first time at Forum I'm a novice yet.