Topic: Hey Southpaw 411

(Or anyone else)

Now that I have your attention and did not get any comments in the accesories forum, I need feedback on the Fender Acoustasonic JR. DSP amplifier.  I have a chance to get this one or the Marshall AS50R (not AS50D); both used but in good condition.  Have not been able to try them out.  Marshall just a little cheaper.

Thanks,
David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Re: Hey Southpaw 411

Hey David,
  I own the Marshall acoustic amp, 2 actually, and love 'em. I also use a Behringer Acoustisonic with the Marshall. The two amps together, stage left, stage right, work real nice as a pair. I tried the fender acoustic amp in my local music store and personally preferred the Marshall, by a ton. Just me...........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks for the quick reply Southpaw.  The guy wants $275 for the Marshall which I personally think is too much vs retail of about $380 for a new one.  I I might as well take a look.  I'll let you know what I decide.

Hi David,
  I agree with you. $275 is a bit too high unless the person just bought the amp and it's still under warranty. Obtain the original receipt and warranty papers. Check the amp thoroughly before you buy it. The reverb is usually the first thing that goes( at least on the 2 I own). Make sure it works, check all of the knobs and buttons, while powered, then offer 'em $220.00( have cash on hand, those hundred dollar bills are very hard to turn down!.....)

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Well, I got him down to $250.  He says he bought it new in 2004 and it's hardly used and near mint having set up for a "few" years at his mother's house.  I'm a 2 1/2 hour drive away and am going to try to get there this weekend.  Thanks for the input.

Well, I got the AS50R and used it yesterday as a stage monitor and I gotta say this little rascal more than holds it's own.  Had to crank it up to 5 but had no distortion or feedback problems and it cut through 2 keyboards, a bass, drums, a les paul (through a tube Marshall half stack) and another acoustic just fine.  Plugged a cheapo ($400) Tak acoustic/electric into channel 1 and a Fender mandolin into channel 2 with just a little reverb and got a very nice acoustic sound by boosting the bass a little and cutting the mids a little.  Even used a BD-2 blues driver pedal to play a couple of spot leads using a cheap rubber sound hole plug to kill the feedback from the pedal.  Sounded just as good as the more powerful (80w vs 50w) and much more expensive Acoustasonic Jr. our other acoustic player was using right beside me.

Thanks, Southpaw!

David

Cool David, glad it worked out for you. I've played through mine (2) for the past 5 years or so. It's, thus far, been a very durable, reliable amp. I have mine on 1' stands(home made from stair scrap wood and door hinges) angled around 30 degrees upward. This really helps the projection span.
     Continued sucess to you and your little Marshall buddy!!

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

Thanks Paw!  I built a stand from scrap 3/8" plywood.  Got it about 4 inches off the floor tilted about 45 degrees.  Worked great on our tight sanctuary stage with the amp close to me.  Will get to try it out on a larger stage in a couple of weeks with it a little farther away.  If the angle is too high I can easily use a couple of shims to bring it down some.

Thanks again and peace back atcha and keep on giggin!  I keep up with your gigs in the other forum.

David