Re: What was your first song?

Jamaica Farewell back in 1963 or so.  Whoa

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Arkady ,
   Yes that recording did turn out very nice .. I used a touch of chorus on the guitar picking , the viola with no effects and then the violin with a little chorus also .. People who heard it said it sounded as if there was an orchestra behind the guitar ..
   Some day I would love to get some of my stuff up somewhere and share it , ( particularly my original stuff ) , but that is so far beyond my tech capabilities at this time .. I am gonna go through my old recordings and find that Greesleeves instrumental though , and who knows , some day ??
Thanks for the encouragement ......
                Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

Mine was 'Zombie' by the cranberies and well it still seems to come up as a singalong song around the campfire.

G S E wrote:

Some day I would love to get some of my stuff up somewhere and share it , ( particularly my original stuff ) , but that is so far beyond my tech capabilities at this time .. I am gonna go through my old recordings and find that Greesleeves instrumental though , and who knows , some day ??
Thanks for the encouragement ......
                Jerry

If you can send me have a copy of that recording I can post it on Friends of Chordie for you if you wish.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

"Early Morning Rain" by Gordon Lightfoot and "House of the Rising Sun" the original blues version were covered my first lesson.  Strum for "Rain" and finger picking for "House".

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

31 (edited by bob campeau 2009-03-04 04:27:14)

Horse with no name by America off the record, learned Em all over the neck. Ended up getting the book and learning the the whole greatest hits album. It use to take days to figure out a song off the record especially not knowing about tunings and a capo. lol. I started subscribing to Guitar for the Practicing Musician when it came out, it always had 3 Tabs a month, I thought I died and went heaven even though I usually only liked 1 out of the 3 songs in each issue.

Hi all
I'm too old to remember the first song I learnt - it was probably something like 'blowin in the wind' BUT
does anyone know that tune that I'm told all guitarists into a bit of picking learn from a tab that sounds clever and classical? The only way I can think of describing it is that after each note of the tune you play an open high E.
Oh! I've just thought - maybe I could add a bit if tab here. If no one knows what I'm on about I'll give it a go.
Cheers
Chris

Hi oldbinky
Welcome to chordie.
The piece I think you mean is maybe "Malaguena" which uses a continuous open high e through opening bars.
Sounds cool and not to hard to get... link here http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.l … aguena.tab
Hope it's the one your after.
Ark

I saw Roy Clark play that solo when he appeared with the Boston Pops Orchestra with the late Arthur Fiedler.  Awesome piece. 

It was a show called "Evening at Pops".

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Mine Was Pressure; Paramore

My 1st song ever was on Baritone Uke - Johnny Cash's "A Boy Named Sue".

I learned it off my Dad's "Live at Folsom Prison" LP when I was 13. He'd take me down to the American Legion and I'd sing it for all his war hero drinking buddies. They really got a kick out of me "Bleep"ing the "Son of a BLEEP" line. (We weren't allowed to cuss...only Hell and Damn...)

On guitar, it was Don McLean's "American Pie". What a chore remembering all those lyrics!

Get your slide and let's get it on!

Hi Arkady
Thanks Malaguena is definitely the one but having listen to some previews on iTunes there's more to it than I ever thought. I learnt it off an old BBC vinyl record 'Learn the Guitar' course my Grandfather bought. So I must have known it for about 30 years without ever knowing the title.
Brilliant, I'll now continue teaching it to my daughter.
Cheers
Chris

My first song was Country Roads by John Denver. I must have played it 5 million times by now.

Greensleeves

Oasis- Songbird was mine.

"every rose has its thorn" very easy to play and the chicks love it!

As a teenager in this part of the world, you were nobody if you couldn't play House of the Rising Sun and the Smoke on the Water riff.

Cheers to all,

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then is not an act...it is a habit.        Aristotle

REDEMTION SONG - BOB MARLEY!!!

First song I played (over and over and over) was Gloria. Was just 3 chords, E, A, and D.
Bob

First song  Tobacco Road

"little red riding hood"about 1966,still love it !

Ah, Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs, a classic!  <grin>

Wildwood flower was my first tune at 13 yrs, quit playing for 11 yrs, woman sure can distract a person. At 24 with a wife and 2 kids I needed some piece and quite. So I picked up a guitar learned my first song, a finger picking style version of A Lesson Too Late For The Learnin' by Doc Watson, Then, Tennessee Stud. So much for piece and quite. I've been makin a terrible racket ever since.

Ron   :-)

Ron

In 1981 my flatmate had the girl and the guitar, when he took the girl out I would cheat on his guitar.  I taught myself "A day in the life" by The Beatles.  I can still hear the orchestra.=)

When I was overseas in the military , we would go to a local hangout on base. I started hanging out with the soldiers on R&R and would listen to them play the acoustic guitar. One of the guys I was stationed with taught me how to play my first song. America (Horse with no name)
Needless to say I was hooked. From those two chords I have expanded to about 100 songs I have in a book from this very site. Thank you for teaching me the lyrics along with the chord changes.

Watch your top knot