Topic: My new chords algorithm

On my web page I have new chord algorithm, based on chord piano.
If it will help someone, I will be glad.
It is my little investigation on music staff.

****link edited***** Russell_Harding (unsolicited adds) 4/1/09 12:33 hrs cst

Re: My new chords algorithm

Branko this is your 1st post please do not include any more links to this web site

"Growing old is not for sissies"

OK, sorry!
I am update my website link.
If someone need my music chord algorithm, it is on 13 page.
If this is prohibited too, I sugest to delete my acount.

Thanks for your cooperation Branko j and the algorithms would be a welcome contribution that could benefit members who aspire on keyboards smile

I'm curious about the algorithm.  Could you tell us about it here?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

6 (edited by BrankoJ 2009-04-27 06:25:58)

It is just numbers from -6 to 6.
It is graphical system for keyboard.
Keyboard has white key: C, D, E, F, G, A, B
And 2+3 black keys.
First C, D, E has 0, 2, 4 number, and G, A, B has 1, 3, 5 number.
F is -1 and is starting point to negative numbers (black keys).
It is graphical easy to see some arrows.
Example: Song is in G major key.
G is number 1, and on music sheet it will have 1 #.
Most important chords in that song will be:
0 = C
1 = G
2 = D
You can see G in middle.
That are most important major keys in song. From that major keys is easy to found minor key: just move 3 keys (black or white) to left on keyboard.
Counting from C it will be Am (I use lower case 'a' writing system for minor chord).
Example2 (hardest):
Music sheet has 4 # in the begenning of sheets. It will be in 4 = E major key.
Counting 3, 4, 5 will be A, E, B major keys.
Counting from A, E, B (3 keys to left on keyboard) it will be Fm# (black), Cm# (black), Gm# (black) minor chords.
Most songs use this 6 most important keys (or less).
Sometimes songwriter transform minor to major (from that 6 main chords), or simetimes use chord from upper or lower numbers, but it is very rare case.
Using 7, sus or something else, are just a little modification of that.
It is best to use picture for understanding. And it is easy to memorize (it is logical).
Guitarists use circle form of this system, but it is hard for memorize.
My system is mathematical and graphical, and easy when someone understand it.

BrancoJ it would take me some time to memorize this new system of yours and I dont know if it would benefit my playing to account for the time spent learning,I'm sure it works well if you understand it but it seems like you enjoy doing this kind of mathematical exercise and it may well benefit others but I'm still working with standard notation and its enough to handle but good luck with this smile

8 (edited by BrankoJ 2009-04-28 05:57:44)

It was benefical for me.
When I seek chords from music sheet, I just use 'bass' notes, and than write chords (it is first approximation).
For example, if song has bbbb in sheet it is -4, than I write 3 major chord and 3 minor chords (that are lot of black keys from keyboard). Than I eliminate high changing chord, and found chords melody for that song.
Last step is writing in paralel 6 chords, but transpose it four octave. It will bi very close (with sounding), but it will become  -4 +4 = 0 ( 0 represent C ),  and song will be easy for play.
It is easy to transpose every song to different key: Just write 6 (or more) keys like this:
Example for song in Ab to C:
-5 Db   Bbm      ->      -1   F   Dm
-4 Ab   Fm        ->       0   C   Am
-3 Eb   Cm        ->       1   G   Em

Just Db become F, Bbm become Dm, and so on.

or maybe this would be simpler, and pre-existing..............
http://www.ducksdeluxe.com/nashvillenumbersystem.html

Give everything but up.

It is to complicate for my mind, and it need tables.
My child has 9 years, and she can transpose every song to another key (from her mind, and without complicate tables). It is easy to memorize that 2 black keys has 0,2,4 numbers (C,D,E), and 3 black keys has 1,3,5 numbers (G,A,B).
From F which is -1 go -3, -5 to 2 black keys.
Where are 3 black keys, from right to left go -2, -4, -6.

Because of her, I use my apostrophe system. It is easy to write 'A for Ab, or f ' for F#m.
It means just 'look to left from A white key' and 'look from F to right, and it is minor'.
This is just for her easy understanding.
But it help me too.

When she see four sharps (####) in music sheet, she know that it is song in E major, because she know that 4 is E major. She easy found main minor chord. Just place her finger on E, and count to left 3 keys. And her finger know that it is C#m (she write c').

I see lot of question about this staff on internet. This mathematical system is so easy.
I am not good musician (I am scientist). I just see beautiful mathematical harmony in music chords.

It's funny, I've been playing guitar now for 30 years and just learned by ear. Somewhere along the way I found that I could almost ~see~ (for lack of a better word) the intervals that make up chords when I hear them, and it was very easy for me to learn to play anything I heard.

I went on to have a decent career as a profession musician before I settled down to get a "real job" (as my now-ex-wife so nicely put it). After all that, several years ago I decided to go take lessons so I could learn theory, scales, chord construction, etc.

OK... I felt like an idiot! How can I play and instrument for so many years, and yet have such a hard time grasping the theory behind it?

Being a programmer and a bit of a geek, I sometimes find it easier to learn something when I am teaching it to someone. So I started this giant Excel sheet and plotted out how the chords were made, that's when things started to click into place for me.

"Do one thing. Do it exceptionally well."

Your link was removed because there is a fee this is concidered spam do not provide this link in the future unless you pay for the advertising

zippybackflash wrote:

It's funny, I've been playing guitar now for 30 years and just learned by ear. Somewhere along the way I found that I could almost ~see~ (for lack of a better word) the intervals that make up chords when I hear them, and it was very easy for me to learn to play anything I heard.

I went on to have a decent career as a profession musician before I settled down to get a "real job" (as my now-ex-wife so nicely put it). After all that, several years ago I decided to go take lessons so I could learn theory, scales, chord construction, etc.

OK... I felt like an idiot! How can I play and instrument for so many years, and yet have such a hard time grasping the theory behind it?

Being a programmer and a bit of a geek, I sometimes find it easier to learn something when I am teaching it to someone. So I started this giant Excel sheet and plotted out how the chords were made, that's when things started to click into place for me.

Hello BrankoJ, and Welcome to Chordie!

First I would like to thank you for sharing your mathematical perspective.  After reading your posts,I think I have a grasp of the concept.  Kind of a linear representation of the "Circle of Fifths".  I will dust off my keyboard and experiment a bit with it.  Always looking for another approach to musical understanding.

Thanks again, and Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare