Topic: Any good acoustic songs. (Think "Bad Moon Rising")

Hi All

In getting a set together, we've ended up with a lot of really nice songs that I like playing and Clare Likes singing, but most of them are slow. e.g.

Diamonds and Rust. When you say nothing, Speed of the sound of loneliness.

As nice as these songs are, they aren’t what we need for 11'o'clock on a Saturday night in a lively pub or bar.

Anyone got any thoughts on some more upbeat songs, Folk, country or pop and not to hard to play.

Think along the lines of "Bad Moon Rising" and "The Boxer"

If you want to know a bit more about us and our tastes, have a look at the website

Thanks
Howard

http://www.francisbell.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/index.html

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

Re: Any good acoustic songs. (Think "Bad Moon Rising")

If you are looking for songs like Bad Moon Rising then search out a lot of the CCR songs. We run into the same thing, trying to find upbeat songs.  Many of the old classics are "guy songs" so they are tougher for a woman to sing. We have a female singer also so we toy with this from time to time. Other songs might include Me and Bobby McGee, We'll sing in the sunshine, Jambalaya, Kansas City, Margaritaville, When will I be loved, Mustang Sally, she also does Don't be Cruel.

I have listened to your music and you might want to try a few Shania Twain songs, I think they might fit Clare's voice and most of them are pretty easy to play.

Hope that helps.

We did an acoustic set as well.  We included Into The Mystic, As Long As I See The Light; some James Taylor, Jim Croce; Vincent (Starry Starry Night) - with an upbeat tempo, Blues Traveler, Crossroads, and Pink Floyd seems to go over well.

Thanks for those.
I think it's a problem. Finding up beat songs for a female singer.
When we first thought about it I remember saying "there must be loads" but remembering them is another story.
The problem isn't just good songs, it's good songs for that last 30 mins in a loud and busy pub where the people are out for a "good time" and want something they know and sends them home feeling happy.
Keep them coming and thanks for taking the time to post. It's really appreciated
Cheers
Howard

My acoustic trio Website
[url]http://www.accidentallyacoustic.co.uk/[/url]

There are lots of great songs out there that can be sung by either sex, but these are easy to play and work well for a female lead singer:

Angel of the Morning (Juice Newton)
Baby It's You (Beatles)
Both Sides Now (Joni Mitchel)
Different Drun (Linda Ronstadt)
Give Me One Reason (Tracy Chapman)
I Love How You Love Me (Paris Sisters)
I Will Follow Him (Little Peggy March)
I'm Sorry (Brenda Lee)
Killing Me Softly (Roberta Flack)
Me and Bobby McGee (Janis Joplin)
Mercedes Benz (Janis Joplin)
Ode To Billy Joe (Bobby Gentry)
Sing In The Sunshine (?)
Soak Up The Sun (Sheryl Crow)
Somebody To Love (Jefferson Airplane)
The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Roberta Flack)
The Loco-Motion (Little Eva)
The Rose (Bette Midler)
Those Were The Days (Gene Raskin)
To Know Him Is To Love Him (Emmylou Harris)
Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler)
Will You Love Me Tomorrow (Carole King)
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield)
You Keep Me Hanging On (Dianna Ross & the Supremes)
You've Got A Friend (Carol King)

6 (edited by patdoyle 2008-04-20 14:03:34)

try that song by the hollies. I think it's ''long cool woman''

If your butt stays warm at night... Thank a coalminer
                                                     Patrick Doyle

One really fun one is the upbeat "Runaway Train" by Soul Asylum, I capo it on the 4th fret so it has a great accoustic sound.if you want something newer, "At the bottom of everything" by Bright Eyes is great for the same reason.............Keep On.....justasinger54