Topic: Tuning a Mando as a Uke

Here I am in good old Hanoi and have just bought a mando

But I don't want to relearn all of my uke chords

Has anyone ever tuned a mando to uke tuning and if so how do you tune the second of each of the strings?

Looking forward to uselful advice

Cheers

M

Re: Tuning a Mando as a Uke

Update:

I managed to tune the bottom 3 strings as GCE tuning ok but the top string is too thick to be wound up to A

I will go and get some new strings and re string this string to take an A but in tuning it I have not tuned any difference between the "pairs" of the strings

Does anyone know what they should be to get the instrument to sound OK?

Cheers

Michaelc

THe blinding silence here is remarkable but?

I got some new strings and restrung it Uke style

Now I have to get a pick but I find that my fingers are very big on the fret board

More detail to follow

M

lol

Hi Michael,
yep it is very quiet on this one.

I would have replied earlier but the first post I read when i was in work and could not reply, the next two I just missed and the third I saw just now while flicking through all the sections to see what i have missed.

My father in law retunes a lot of instruments different. i.e uke to banjo, banjo to madolin etc. not too sure what he does exactly, but he did retune his 4 string banjo to the same as a mandolin and it sounded great.

I think you could experiment in anything and retune anything you want but I would think you might need different stings as the uke strings are different, or swap the strings about?

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

I've never heard of a mando being re-tuned as a Uke. It would be interesting to hear what it sounded like. As UYK says, you'd need to swop strings around, particularly the G, although you may be storing up problems as the nut is cut to take different size strings.

UYK, tuning the 4 string banjo to mando tuning is the classic Irish / Celtic tuning. In that tradition Mando is more of a melody than a chordal instrument.

"Don't play what's there, play what's not there." Miles Davis

Yes, once I'd put smaller strings on I found that they easily slipped off the neck when I played an A chord

But it does sound original and very different

theres nothing wrong with different and certainly nothing wrong with original.
If you can play an instrument that has been modified and it sounds good then you are on a winner

It is always good to hear or see something different getting play

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Michaelc54,

Not being a mandolin player myself, but having played a time or two with one in the group, the pairs of strings are tuned to the same note.  I remembered that because I played twelve string guitar mostly back in those days and at times wished tuning the "twelve" was as easy.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Yup, I tuned it up to the same note for each string and away I went, but the old big finger problem soon reared it's head

But I persevere and it is fun to muck about with

M