Topic: Tascam Recorders

I have the Tascam GT-R1 recorder (http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-GT-R … 1401677.gc) ... does anyone have something similar?  I did some recording without hooking my guitar up to it and the sound is extremely low ... however when I plug my guitar in and put the headphones on and record the volume is fine

Also, does anyone know of a good microphone to use with mini-recorders like this?

"Rhythm drives the Rock-n-Roll train"

Gibson Les Paul/PRS Custom/Ovation Celebrity Koa
Line6 SpiderIII 75

Re: Tascam Recorders

try useing a 1/4" female to 1/8" stereo male and plug the small jack into the headphone output and use a guitar chord and plug it into the female adapter and into your amp smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

as i understand your predicament, you cant get a decent volume without using direct inject, may i suggest, if your not plugging in, rest the recorder on or near the guitar, it's probably out of range of the mic.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

All good thoughts, but may I put out another?

The GT-R1 has a condenser microphone built on, and it may be that it is also equipped with an internal OPL (output limiter).  Condensers are very sensitive (usually), and if it is too close to the source it may be triggering the OPL and choking down.  So if moving it closer to the source does not get you more volume.... try moving it farther away.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I have a Tascam DR-1 recorder. Do you record in wave or MP3? I want to down load my recordings to my computer to burn CD's.  But when I do this they want play in my car.
Can you help me with this?
Ron

Ron wav format is generally a better sound but consumes more megabytes on the hard drive and I'm not sure if media player can burn a wav format but the mp3 is easy and takes up less space and the fidelity or sound quality is not really noticeable and will be easier to burn I use the Nero program to burn my Cd's it is a better program then media player smile

runout68 wrote:

I have a Tascam DR-1 recorder. Do you record in wave or MP3? I want to down load my recordings to my computer to burn CD's.  But when I do this they want play in my car.
Ron

Hi Guys, I believe you must convert to .wav to be able to play your recordings in you car. Although there are car stereos that can play .mp3, most of the older vehicles cd players will not. I know that my truck(2000 Dodge) cd player will not play .mp3 (I've tried). You can usually get 15 to 20 recordings on a cd in .wav format, but if your looking to put more than that on one cd you might think about getting one of those portable .mp3 players and an adapter for your car stereo. Hope this helps smile

"I'm not going to buy my kids an encyclopedia. Let them walk to school like I did." Yogi Berra
"It's like deja vu all over again." Yogi Berra
and my personal favorite Yogi Berra quote: "Ninety percent of this game is half mental."

fatstrings that's interesting I have always used a portable CD player that could tune to a vacant FM frequency and play thru the car radio so if he needs to convert to wav can media player burn a wav format? I dont think it can I know the Nero program I have wont even recognize a wav file so if he renders all his songs to wav I'm not sure how he can burn them to disk unless he leaves them as mp3's and uses a player like you describe or like the one I use smile

the Tascam DR-1 recorder according to specs I looked up can record in wav format so were back to the original question how to burn a wav onto disk smile

runout68 wrote:

Ron

Hi runout
The best way to go is to save your songs to Mp3 if you can or convert your wave files into Mp3 with Audacity or a wave to mp3 converting app.
Then use the windows media player. You drag and drop you Mp3 files to the burn section. Then burn them to a disc windows will automatically convert them to a CD format which will play on an ordinary CD player.
I've done this with my stuff and it plays ok on the car CD player.
Don't burn files as MP3 as they won't play on a bog standard CD player..
Hope this helps
ark

I just read this post, so hopefully I'm not too late.

Sound file conversions are easier than ever nowadays.  Windows media player can burn a CD from either a WAV, WMA, or MP3 file.  All you have to do is to create a "burn list".

The nice thing about the TASCAM GT-R1 is that you can record to either WAV or MP3.  However, overdubbing can only be done in WAV file mode.

Thanks for the information and welcome to Chordie Greg,I may have issues with my media player it has problems with the "burn list" I just use my backup pc and burn everything with Nero the HP runs a windows xp home edition and I have a lightscribe drive its a lot slower then my Gateway vista but still reliable I like the Nero program all the songs are normalized to the same volumes and spaced two seconds apart it would be nice if the media player worked right I transfer everything I want to burn onto a 1 gig stick for me its easier wink