1 (edited by jets60 2009-05-11 01:51:50)

Topic: What chordie means to me

I came to chordie when I was first learning to play the guitar. I learned by looking up the songs I grew up hearing, tinkering with them, figuring them out and challenging myself. That gave me the motivation I needed to push myself and try and learn more. Without chordie I would never have written a song much less recorded one. I have a long ways to go as a musician but I enjoy music now so much more because of chordie. My good friends Roger, James as well as the rest of the chordie faithful helped me along and I am very grateful but I never could have found chordie without the vision of Per. Thanks.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: What chordie means to me

Absolutely! If Chordie had been available when I started learning many many years ago i may never have abandoned learning as I did. The confidence from learning one of your favourite songs is amazing and Chordie has helped with that. Not to mention the family on the forum. I have had so many problems sorted by these guys I can't count them. This is a fantastic place to learn and without Per's wish to make it all so much easier then I'd be lost.

Long live Chordie!

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

A few years ago I found chordie after stumbling upon it while searching for a few new songs to do. Chordie looked quite a bit different then and has progressed the past few years for the better.
When it changed again to more what it looks like today and Per added a forum in I put myself forward to help moderate the site as I knew one person alone would find it quite hard to do. I done this because I loved the site so much and I was on it every day and also I like to help others when I can. Soon after I joined James then joined too so we could spread the moderation over the globe, then Roger came on board and things were on their way. Now we have quite a few moderators from all over this tiny planet to help it be what it is today.

Chordie to me is more of a wee online community, not just a place to get songs from. I do get a bit sick of things sometimes and reading boring posts ( boring in my opinion only). Not everything in the forum will please or interest everyone but there is I think something for everyone. This is why I love this site and forum so much, so many folk like to help each other as well as helping new members find their way round the place, not that it is that difficult if people spend the time to look for things smile but still I will reply to them.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thank You So MUCH ! smile

I love this site and my mom has a hard time keeping me off it. lol

Ben smile lol cool  wink wink wink wink wink wink wink

The world is only going to get worse!

I too think that Chordie is great.

From first finding the site, reading the posts on the Forum, eventually plucking up the courage to post my first message (then not being able to stop posting them smile) and then being invited to help Moderate the Forum with Ken and James has been a wonderful experience for me. I have recieved all sorts of help on the way, made many friends from all corners of the globe, and helped (well bullied probably wink) several people into recording their songs.

One of the most exciting thing for me came after Russ started the Recording section, and I was able to be involved in the writing and recording a song in which 5 members contributed to the writing, 6 to the recording of the music and 4 to the recording of the vocals. Many, including me, were sceptical as to whether it would work but the skills and efforts of those involved made Chordie history.

There is no other site like Chordie.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I love the international "flavors" of music and perspective.  It certainly helps to understand what is just music, and what is a perspective on music.  Also, y'all are cool.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have Chordie to thank for renewing my desire to play when it begins to wane. And the forum is lots of fun. Like Zurf says above, I too enjoy the international perspective not just about music but all things. I like to mix of age groups too. Thanks to all that spend their time making this site happen. I for one appreciate your efforts.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

8 (edited by arkady 2009-05-11 17:34:38)

What does chordie mean to me? I guess a lot…
Came here as most people do to find chords and tabs etc lurked the forum for while took the plunge and started to post learnt from people who knew about guitars and playing than I’d hope do in a million years and after 2and half years as member I’m still learning..
It inspired me to write songs again. Gave me the information to start computer recording which opened up to me a whole new world of recording possibilities, and also the opportunity to collaborate with first Russell and then with Roger and other members on different musical projects.
Thanks Per and to all the members of Chordie for making this one great worldwide online guitar playing community and long may it be so….
ark

This is the first forum I've ever had anything to do with.

The one thing we all have in common is that we are all brothers and sisters of the sixth string (or 4, 5, 8 or 12).

Recently I found I was chatting with one of my best M8's brothers in Oz without ever having met him!!! How good's that?

Also I found some psts from another guy from Bristol who (I think) has been out to our Monday night shindig a good few times!!! How good's that???

Where else can you find the song you're looking for AND chat to people from all over this big wide world who you've already got something in common with before you've communicated?

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

hi chordies before joining chordie i just existed and only wrote two songs in twenty years,then i invested in a computor,three to be exact,mainly to help the kids with school work,the kids gave me some pointers and i searched for artist/musician sites ,i found chordie,registed and started browsing,after i had read numerous posts i started writing songs,i wrote 11 in two days,i just needed that kick start it seems,i have been a member now for two years on the 17th and have accumalated 194 songs,this is all thanks to this amazing site,and also the warm and friendly players and learners out there that make this site what it has become today,i'd also like to thank per and all the moderators for their amazing work.....stay cool forever

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Life's funny that way. Sounds like a song title.  I will explore the possibilities.

Any how. Chordie has definitely helped me and my self improvement, motivation, and confidence.  I was introduced to Chordie from an acquaintance. The rest is history and want to thank all who create, moderate or investigate here that it is and will always be a good idea.  An official 'Salutation' from one guitar player to others.....

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

Chordie keeps me going and adds to the pleasure of playing! 

Thanks to all who keep this place around!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

i found chordie by accident! i googled "songwriters" not expecting any replies, chordie was top of the list...i never got to the second!

i've been on other sites..."yahoo answers" and got totally narked by the apparent 10 year olds, swearing and acting like, well 10 year olds, make that 5 year olds, even the youngsters here act like adults!

after browsing the songwriting section for a couple of days, i thought i might contribute a song, then kept getting bombarded [or bullied] by roger [thanks rog, i need a push at times to get me going] to record the subsequent songs i posted...after a lot of false starts and help from said roger, i managed to set up a myspace page and up-loaded some tracks.

now i've been writing and recording for 30 to 40 years, but i believe my writing and recording have improved exponential since joining, as the standard was so high, i was afraid to shame my-self, so [as you do] i got better, not yet to a standard i aspire to but getting there.

so a big thanks to chordie and especially to per for his foresight and patience with me and a lot of others.

i would also like to thank, ken from sconny botland, kenny from canada, and not least for his help and greatly appreciated friendship russel harding

thanks again

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

***A-hem,(knock,knock)A-hhhhemmm!!!***

Thank you........

First off, let's not fool ourselves here. Chordie is a great way to learn new tunes without having to spend hordes of money of songbooks and/or sheet music. Thanks a ton for this fantastic tool for the financially challenged. I mostly always buy CD's from the artists( that I like) who make their musical offerings available on the net. Those who don't , I personally choose to avoid their product(and all associated with said product). But hey!, that's just me and to each their own............

Secondly, Chordie is the first (and only) forum in cyber land that I've personally participated in. I figured with all of the valuable information I've  gained from Chordie ( new tunes,etc... ) I needed to give a little something back. I've been a full-time musician for most of my adult life and I'm happy to pass on some of the knowledge I've gained throughout my musical adventures. I've also consumed tons of wonderful information from my fellow musicians out there in Chordie land who stand, or have stood in my shoes, and know the tremendous pleasure and pain that playing music for a living dishes out. So to all of you wonderful human beings, I say "thank you" with sincere heartfelt thanks and appreciation. And to those of you whom I've clashed with in the past I say " thank you" to you as well. Artists are infamous for being oversensitive and easily offended, so I forgive all of you out there who have offended me or argued with my unique modus operandi. (haha, that means I'm just joking, relax y'all).

And finally, in grand conclusion, Chordie is just flat out cool as hail. The friendships I've made on this one-of-a-kind site exceed verbal or written description. Do you folks all realize how cool and special you are? I do. A wise man once said, "music is the universal language". What better proof of the validity of this statement is there than Chordie. Thanks Per, no matter what  becomes of this juggernaut of all musical web-sites, I'll always think of Chordie as the best of all-time...........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

I visit lots of sites looking for guitar music throughout the week, but Chordie is the one I visit mostly because it has most of what I am looking for and lots of great people to talk to.  I visit Chordie every day to see what is new.  It is just the best all around site out there.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

When I first read this topic and the subsequent posts I was reluctant to add anything as it sounded like a requiem for Chordie given all the problems Per has had to deal with to comply and keep this ship afloat,and to be honest I too owe much to this entity we have all come to love as a family, and with any family there will be squabbles and disagreements and it matters little if you were right or wrong that's human nature,Chordie has provided me with the opportunity to introduce a recording forum and collaborate with musicians from all over this world in addition to making cyber friendships with many members so I do not intend to say "I will miss Chordie" that would be like abandoning a ship that is still floating I only will say may she keep sailing with a stiff wind in her sails to new horizons smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

This site has more accurate info than any book or musician I've ever read or met! The previous posts are so useful. A question will be asked and several answers from different perspectives will give you a thorough grasp on something that moments before was in complete darkness. I've not been here long, but I thank PER for his efforts in forming this site. I thank all the moderators for the work and valuable info. And all the members for their contributions.
   I've never participated in a forum before, but since I've joined this one I've learned so much about music theory, recording and note value, time signatures, open tunings, links to music info sites and so much more, in only three months. I cannot express my gratitude enough. big_smile
   Thanks to all who are CHORDIE!!!

Ron

aabb wrote:

This site has more accurate info than any book or musician I've ever read or met! The previous posts are so useful. A question will be asked and several answers from different perspectives will give you a thorough grasp on something that moments before was in complete darkness. I've not been here long, but I thank PER for his efforts in forming this site. I thank all the moderators for the work and valuable info. And all the members for their contributions.
   I've never participated in a forum before, but since I've joined this one I've learned so much about music theory, recording and note value, time signatures, open tunings, links to music info sites and so much more, in only three months. I cannot express my gratitude enough. big_smile
   Thanks to all who are CHORDIE!!!

Agreed.  And I wasn't kidding, if this site ever needs monetary support, tell me.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Russell_Harding wrote:

When I first read this topic and the subsequent posts I was reluctant to add anything as it sounded like a requiem for Chordie given all the problems Per has had to deal with to comply and keep this ship afloat,and to be honest I too owe much to this entity we have all come to love as a family, and with any family there will be squabbles and disagreements and it matters little if you were right or wrong that's human nature,Chordie has provided me with the opportunity to introduce a recording forum and collaborate with musicians from all over this world in addition to making cyber friendships with many members so I do not intend to say "I will miss Chordie" that would be like abandoning a ship that is still floating I only will say may she keep sailing with a stiff wind in her sails to new horizons smile

Aye Aye Captain....I started coming here for the tabs but I think the forums are even more useful. Even if all the tabs get blocked, I say FLOAT ON!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I was going to reply to this because there was another thread like this, so I'll just say I love this site. Started out just looking for tabs, now I just use the forums. What I like about Chordie is all the advice I get from players alot more exprienced then I. Like others have said, I get more inspireds to write when I come to this site. It got me motivated to actually record my stuff. This wouldnt have been possible if it wasnt for the help of Arkady, Russell Harding, Getfiddle,  Stransongs, and Kap54. Whether or not they know that or not, I do not know. But thanks to all for the help and inspration

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I stumbled upon Chordie in 2008 looking for chords and lyrics cause I wanted to try and revive my interest in playing and writing. I found the songs I was looking for but more importantly I found the forum. After lurking for a real short time I joined up cause it seemed to me there was a genuine interest for the love of music here. An added bonus was everyone is real friendly and they keep the forum clean. (Great Job by the Mods) It wasn't long before the encouragement I received got me writing and recording. I'm not going any where with my music but that doesn't matter to me, the point is Chordie got me writing again which in turn has enriched my soul.

Not enough words to say Thanks to Per but if he needs something from me...he's got it. smile

What makes this site unique is all the friendly and helpful people here from around the world.
Kudos to Lena (Old Doll)...Where are ya girl. I hope all is well with you.
             Roger Thanks for the boot
             Russel Thanks for the help
             Phill  Thanks for the inspirations
             Southpaw for your great stories
             Daddy...Man!!! you write a lot of songs
             Ark smile Thanks for your music and your help
And the list goes on.. and on..and on.
If I've been a help to anyone then that is a bonus to me cause it means a ton that I can contribute here.

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)