Topic: What's this tuning called?

E
A
G
D
A
A

You tune the 2nd string B down to an A, and the bottom E string down a full octave below the 5th string A.  I'm not sure what it would be called, however.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Re: What's this tuning called?

I'm not quite sure what to make of that!  How does it sound?

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I'm not quite sure what to make of that!  How does it sound?

I don't know how to explain it other than if you listen to my newest recording....

Switchfoot

Stephen I google up this tuning and there really was no name other then alternate tuning,the several references I found were contained in threads from sites and the fact that some people use this tuning but there was no significant name attached to it like drop d or c I would think the key you apply this tuning to could factor in some way in regards to what its called smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I see...yeah, I was just curious to see if it did have an actual name, like "open A" or something, but I've seen other tunings before that don't really have a name either.

Switchfoot

Michael Hedges used a similar tuning on the 1996 release of "The 2nd Law" off of  Oracle. He used this;
D
B
G
D
A
A

If you're interested in open tunings, google Micael Hedges open tunings. He used over 40 types of various tunings.

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Michael Hedges used a similar tuning on the 1996 release of "The 2nd Law" off of  Oracle. He used this;
D
B
G
D
A
A

If you're interested in open tunings, google Micael Hedges open tunings. He used over 40 types of various tunings.

Wow, I'll have to look into his music! Thanks!

Switchfoot