Topic: Baritone Uke Strings

I'm getting frustrated with my strings.

I use Aquila strings and they sound great on my uke but the G string brakes much faster then any other string.
It always breaks right over the 2nd fret. I realize that fret gets played a lot in strumming chords but I find it is a real pain to constantly change strings especially on uke because they need to stretch a lot.

I tune like this:
D
G
B
E

I think that is standard for a baritone uke.

G string breaks after about 20-30 hours of strumming. (really rough estimate)

Anyone else have this problem with Aquila strings?

Any suggestions on other brands of strings?

Am I expecting too much out of my strings? I'm a Bass player by birth and don't change bass strings very often at all.

Thanks

Luke

I never need more then 4 strings.

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-06-02 00:25:56)

Re: Baritone Uke Strings

Check the fret really well and make sure it's smooth. Make sure your fretting finger nails are cut short and are smooth. They can nick the string causing premature breakage... I use aquilas on both of my baritone ukes and have never had any break issues in DGBE tuning. If you want to try anouther brand, Worth strings would be my next choice.

G strings have the smallest core diameter of any other string and are always easier to break. The winding just makes them look thicker than say the B & E strings but they are still the most fragile... -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

There is some ware on the frets in that area. I'm thinking a fine grit sandpaper will smooth them out.

I will also get some worth strings and see how they work out.

Thanks for the help!

BTW

This site rocks!

Luke

I never need more then 4 strings.

If you have an extra say $25 -35 bucks, I'd recommend ordering a crowning file for the frets. You'll find it very usefull in the long run, that is, If you can keep track of it lol I seem to have to order one every few months. Stew-Mac or Luthiers merch. are both good suppliers. Sanding them removes the crown and can cause intonation issues and or buzzing, not to mention the fact that you will have to replace them much sooner. Here's a link to the one I usually use  http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_su … _File.html Though, there are are less expensive ones available that work well also...  -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I play baritone ukulele and also have preferred the Aquila strings and have found the g string breaks most often.  This has been wwith any type string though. I just got a new ukulele and I have a set of KO'OLAU GOLD STRINGS on right now, but I think they sound a bit dull compared to the Aquila.

I'm having a new pickup installed and I'll go back to the aquila.

Cheers

I thought G C E A was the Baritone Uke standard tuning?

G C E A is standard for Soprano, Concert. and Tenor size ukes. Baritones are tuned the same as the highest four strings on a guitar - D G B E.

Don’t let short-term frustration make you feel that your life exists in just this volatile moment.

I have the same problem and am so glad it's not just me. I returned my first uke because I thought there was a defect. My second uke still has the same problem. I'm picking more so it's not happening as fast but I was going through a new G every week when I first started out. I sent my uke out to a guitar repair person and he said there was nothing wrong with my uke, so It seems to be nature of the beast.