Topic: Lordie, I'm trying.

Hey ho, how's everybody doing?

enough small talk.

I've been playing bass for about 5 years now (more like three, there was a period there where i just couldn't make time for it) and a few months ago, i bought a cheap acoustic (washburn, oscar schmidt.  not terrible, average sound, decent play, in case you were curious, and economically priced.) And i gotta tell you, this is a hard transition.  I basically just want to learn the major chords and things of that ilk to help my bass playing, help me with songwriting, etc.  I like the way the guitar sounds, but I'm a bass player, through and through.  It's definitely my passion.

ANYWAY...

I guess what i'm trying to say, is are there any sorts of tips for becoming barely competent at the guitar, just enough so that i can get a feel for a how a song will sound will i'm writing it?  I know i can do that with the bass, but it just lacks that certain "je ne c'est quai" without being able to hear it represented on the guitar.

Re: Lordie, I'm trying.

Yo Eddie,

You will get allot of help here, but you can check the "Resources" Tab at the top of the Chordie page for chord charts, etc.

There are Chord charts and Tab charts, available on the web as well.

I don't know if this is too simple, but I am not sure where you are in your progress.

I have many sites in "my favorites" you can use, but I am not on my own PC right now, I will check back and post a few that may help. These are good for free lessons and information.

I know you are a Bass player, but if you start to play the acoustic, you find yourself playing and singing your favorite tunes.

Good Luck,

Jerry

When I first started playing guitar back in the day, I was orrigionaly a bass player too. The way I learnned was I learnned 3 note power chords (real big in rock, metal, and punk). Since the shape is the same for any power chord and I already knew the fretboared from playing bass it was pretty easy. From there I learned to make the full barre chords (a little tougher but with the power chords I allready had half the chord made). By then my hands were strong and flexable enough to make open chords and lead licks came pretty easy because I was alreedy used to playing melodic bass lines. Hope it helps you.

- Mike

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

start with your major chords, they aren't hard to find.

DJ Cormier
[url=http://www.bigdjindustriez.tk]www.bigdjindustriez.tk[/url]
myspace.com/bigdjindustriez