Topic: burning CDs

Hi everyone.
I have a Sony seperates system, and true it say's that it wont play home recorded CDs.  But was thinking, I just put my music into the Meda Player and burn to CD, they will play in the car, but skip and jump on the Sony, so it will play them, of a fashion.
I was thinking that if I used a better burner, say Nero, would I get better results or not.
So what is the best (deepest burning ?) recorder to get.
Thanks TonyBlue

man is the dream of the doliphin

Re: burning CDs

Tony I had similar problems with mediaplayer burnning CD's and DVD's I got Nero and I have not had any problems,mediaplayer can rip ok but the DVD's it burnned were incompleat)missing segments) same with the CD's otherwise mediaplayer is ok I would recomend Nero or a quality program that is similar,it also could be your drive I had my old one replaced sometimes the drive in a older pc like anything wears out smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Russell, I will down load it today
Tony

Always burn at NO MORE than 2 x speed; 1 x is better.

People will argue.

To them I retort: - "Do your CDs play fine for a while and then skip and display other effects of glitches?" (usually get a "Yes!" here) "That's because you burned them too quickly on cheap CDs!" (Usually I get a "NOOO!" here, but............

(See first line!)

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

thanks kajima.
i will one day become ok at small things
tonyblue

heres a thought , you can improve the bit rate and try thar first

ukulele's unite!!

bit rate ?
tonyblue

you need not worry about the bit rate thats an adjustment first see if the CD records and plays back ok smile

thanks russel,
i am finding it hard to pick which nero i want, they all look quite dear, and seem to more for recording dvd, but i will once again pay for featurs i dont want
tonyblue

Tony the Nero program offers more then DVDs or Cd's they also have a cover design program with the ability to take one of your photos and add it to the cover as well as let you add text the best cover design program is one I have from AVS which also has a great video editor the video on my website videos "keep on riding" was made with this program video within a video effects and you never know you might one day want to film some of your performances or sessions and the Nero program will come in handy for making the DVD and cover designs to put in empty jewel cases for your friends just a thought.. smile

tony eaves wrote:

thanks russel,
i am finding it hard to pick which nero i want, they all look quite dear, and seem to more for recording dvd, but i will once again pay for featurs i dont want
tonyblue

Once again Russell you are right, thanks,
tonyblue

CD is a standard (like MIDI which was established in 1984) that was agreed upon by Philips and Sony (any others?) to make sure the CDs they produced would play in any machine and any machine would play any CD.

This agreement created the Red Book Standard of bit depth of 16 bit and a sample rate of 44.1KHz.

The bit depth is a binary number or word 16 binary digits long. With greater bit depth you get greater signal to noise ratio (louder recording = quieter signal) but any Stereo audio file done at 24 bit will not be Red Book Standard and therfore will not play on most CD players.

Sample rate of 44.1KHz means the recording device is taking "sound photographs" with a word length of 16 bit at a rate of 44,100 photos each second. As with bit depth, greater sample rate means changes to the audio, in this case greater sample rate = greater frequency response. 44.1KHz equates to approximately 20Hz - 20KHz (20,000Hz).

To make sure your CDs don't have glitches and play on any machine, you need to ensure the burning software creates Red Book Standard CDs.

Also Ensure that your CDs are of the best quality you can afford (I once (and once only) had these imitation CDs and they wouldn't play anywhere, but the burner and software were the same.

AND, of course, BURN AT NO MORE THAN 2X speed (1X is better).

>>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

Hi Guys,
I have a Boss BR 900cd recorder which has an integral burner. The CDs I use to record stiplate to record at  x12 (are there any others which have slower speeds ?). The recorder give you the choice of x8 or x4. I have tried both and there appears to be very little difference in sound quality..... although there may be other factors which are masking any differences. Which speed do you guys recommend I use for the best sound quality ?

Hey Mikeshead!

Best to go with 4X.

I don't know about other CDs, I always use HHB Gold and I've never seen any burning speed recommendations on 'em. These CDs are master quality, have never not played on any machine (except a tape recorder big_smile ) and are appreciated by people in the biz as a sign you take things seriously.

The Boss site has info on CDs and burning and talks about burn errors due to the lack of quality and pre-used CD RWs, slower burn + Hi quality CDs = less burn errors.

Hope this was helpful and look forward to hearing some tracks from you!

I use a Boss BR-8 and there is a choice of 3 different speeds and I found out theres no difference between any of them if there is its not noticable enough to make a difference in the recording quality if I want better quality I go to the recording studio and they have Pro Tools which makes my setup look like what it is a home recording device to get fairly good results but not the best so it really comes down to choice if you have the money who wouldnt choose a recording studio? smile

Hi Russell,
Do you mean you take your mixed demo to the studio for re mixing or do you mean you do the whole recording process in the studio ?

One the whole the best (but also the worst) recordings I have heard locally have been by guys on home recordings. Local studios here seem to have produce some very mediocre stuff which  (in the scheme of things) seems quite expensive.

Hi Kajima,

Many thanks for the info on CD RW. Iv never seen the ones you mentioned in the shops but Iv just checked and found them on the net so I will give them a go.
cheers

Actually there are members signed up on Chordie that have volunteered to help with just that look in the "members willing to help" topic in gray in this forum and if the results in the studios are poor or mediocre why spend the money? in order to have someone mix your tracks here you would have to render(make) mp3's of each track and send them to whoever agrees to mix them for you from the list of engineers smile

mikeshead wrote:

Hi Russell,
Do you mean you take your mixed demo to the studio for re mixing or do you mean you do the whole recording process in the studio ?

One the whole the best (but also the worst) recordings I have heard locally have been by guys on home recordings. Local studios here seem to have produce some very mediocre stuff which  (in the scheme of things) seems quite expensive.

Ta, Russell, I will try that a bit further down the line when Iv learned a bit more.

You can learn a bit more here,if you have the free audacity program you can make single mp3's of each track smile

mikeshead wrote:

Ta, Russell, I will try that a bit further down the line when Iv learned a bit more.

Yep,
will do

The reason that a slower burn rate is more reliable than a faster has to do with the way that bits are recorded on the CD.   A CD records a bit of data by "burning" a small hole where the laser will read a one or a zero.   If the recorder is writing more data (at 4x or 8x) speed, it has less time to "burn" the hole into the disk.   It's like if you have a water hose and you're trying to soak a bunch of kids.  If you only soak one kid, you can get him pretty wet.  If you have 4 kids, you can't get them as wet in the same amount of time.

Now, as recording technology progresses, this will (and to a certain degree already has) become less of a problem, and I'd expect that in the future, you'll be able to burn disks reliably at higher and higher speeds.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

The reason that a slower burn rate is more reliable than a faster has to do with the way that bits are recorded on the CD.   A CD records a bit of data by "burning" a small hole where the laser will read a one or a zero.   If the recorder is writing more data (at 4x or 8x) speed, it has less time to "burn" the hole into the disk.   It's like if you have a water hose and you're trying to soak a bunch of kids.  If you only soak one kid, you can get him pretty wet.  If you have 4 kids, you can't get them as wet in the same amount of time.

Now, as recording technology progresses, this will (and to a certain degree already has) become less of a problem, and I'd expect that in the future, you'll be able to burn disks reliably at higher and higher speeds.

Yep! MSB LSB!

Very well said, sir!!! cool

I presume everyone (that is everyone but me) uses quality rwr discs such as KajiMa suggests (hhb gold).

What does everyone else use ?

I just use whatever is avaliable in the store most cd-rs are pretty much the same the quality of what you record,equipment,expertiese in mixing, talent will determine how good your finished product is "cant make a silk purse out of a pigs snout" smile