Re: What was your first song?

My teacher taught me "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" needless to say the 15 year old version of myself was not amused.

Guitar: Jay Turser "Statue of Liberty" guitar
I've decided to name it (drum roll please) Liberty.
I'm a noob guitarist but I have the love of a pro.
I want to learn everything I can.

My first song was Knockin' on Heavens Door, by far the best song for an aspiring guitarist to learn.

I've only been playing 3 weeks but using an easy song to start kept me from becoming frustrated and throwing this rewarding experience away.

CURRENTLY LEARNING: HEART OF GOLD - NEIL YOUNG

First Song: I Walk the Line by Johnny Cash. Try it in every key

My first song was taught to me while I was in Qatar on an Army base.
My friend and I would go to the TOP OFF club and sing songs with the guitars they had there.
My first song was real easy; Horse with no name by America

Watch your top knot

Smoke On the Water

Rock and Roll Never Dies,,, It just passes out for a while: George Thorogood

"Used To" by daughtry. some other easy 1s r "every time we touch", "gotta be somebody", "getting into you"....

{{***~MuZiK LuVeR~***}}

My first song was " come now is the time to worship" It is such a powerful song...altho it took me forever to pick up on strumming patterns and timings:)

I'm afraid that mine was 'House of the Rising Sun'.... It was the one song my dad could play and the only one he wanted me to! :-)

crazy clue was accually invented for the purpose of being a skin adhiesive. i just used it for the first time on my toes, don't ask. anyway my first song that i say i could play all the way through and accually play and sing happened today. after 6 years of playing , with cracked voice, no rythym and whatever else never worked. i found some voice deep down somewhere, i guess i was sitting on it for all these years. now i'll work with what i got now ans see where it takes me.

roberto85 wrote:

My first song was Knockin' on Heavens Door, by far the best song for an aspiring guitarist to learn.

I've only been playing 3 weeks but using an easy song to start kept me from becoming frustrated and throwing this rewarding experience away.

hey roberto
start with the easy songs so you don't discourage yourself and give it up. through time you'll pick up different chords here and there plus they will get easier to play and reach. its not an overnight thing. easy into it!

City of New Orleans.  My dad played it and I wanted to learn it.  He taught me chord by chord.

It's not the first song I learnt but the song that inspired me to start playing was Day Old Blues by Kings of Leon.  It's a gentle, quiet acoustic tune with squeeky chord changes and the chorus has a bit of an edge to it.  Anyway, shortly after I started to learn I realised it was pretty difficult with a few relatively obscure chords so moved on the "usual" starters.

Yesterday I listened to the tune again and suspected it can't be that difficult so I found the chords here on chordie and I've been practicing for 2 days and I think I've got it.  I'm off to bed now with a massive, broad smile on my face and can't believe I can play it! 

Come on!!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

House of the Rising Sun by the Animals.
At first I was just strumming chords, but later I tried to do some picking and I was amazed to hear how well I can play my favourite song!

We accidentally replaced your heart with a baked potato. You have three seconds to live.

mine was better man by robbie williams

the first song i properly played and sang at the same time was black horse and the cherry tree - KT tunstell

'woohoo' is the greatest lyric ever thought up - it can be put into any song!

Seersha wrote:

My teacher taught me "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" needless to say the 15 year old version of myself was not amused.

everyone learns that no matter what instrument you learn on. i did it on double bass!

'woohoo' is the greatest lyric ever thought up - it can be put into any song!

Well... as I'm just starting out and have managed to get the basics of just D, A, and E... I'm working on "Leaving on a Jet Plane" as my first song.  Darn how I wish there were a few Jim Croce songs with just three chords!  As for all you "60's children" ... don't let the music from your youth age you ... Let the music from your youth keep you young!! I love the music and it's what I grew up listening to my dad play and therefore what I would LOVE to play! In fact, if what you played actually aged you then my father would be aging himself at least a few decades with "White Cliffs of Dover" and "Rock Island Line" to name a few.  "House of the rising sun" will NEVER go out of sytle!

.... says a girl born in the mid 70's....

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

First Song: House of the Rising Sun
Last Song: Jolene

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

My last song was "One meatball" as played by Dave Van Ronk

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

95 (edited by sexton guitar jam 2009-09-19 20:25:01)

The first complete song I learned was House of the Rising Sun, ala Eric Burdon and the Animals (giving away my age there, huh?) My uncle had a Kay arch-top f-hole guitar that I didn't appreciate so much at the time. I play a Martin D-1 these days. I played in a band in Texas and Southern Lousiana for years until about age 25... when I realized that path meant a lot of time in bars!

Let's add to this thread by adding your most recent tunes -- for me, Montgomery Creek Blues by Rita Hosking (and other from that same CD... just saw her this summer at the Kate Wolf Festival at the Hog Farm in Laytonville, CA and she was awesome... a voice like an angel and a great songwriter)...

Casey

It's interesting to note, casually, that "House of the Rising Sun" has been the first or very close to the first song/tune that a majority of us have learned.  I may be wrong, but, it's interesting and I wonder why that is.  ??

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Here's my first complete song. Written when I was 17 years old and played the same way ever since. In 1983 I made up a harmonica part for it.
This recording is from February 2008 and includes the harmonica part:

http://tinyurl.com/l8damj

Original Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/thegilsongs
Cover Songs on YouTube:   www.youtube.com/All1Song

One of us from joan osboren

The first song I learnt was "Love Is All Around"......but my first Johnny Cash song is "Home Of The Blues"

I am performing at a variety concert in two weeks time and gonna play "Heart Of Gold"-Neil Young....wish me luck!

Uli

Uliman74 wrote:

The first song I learnt was "Love Is All Around"......but my first Johnny Cash song is "Home Of The Blues"

I am performing at a variety concert in two weeks time and gonna play "Heart Of Gold"-Neil Young....wish me luck!

Uli

good luck.......   Badeye      cool

one caper after another