Re: Evil B and the high e string

some people physically cant play it and sound the E.

Um...the high-e string is usually muted when doing the A-Shaped Barre for chords.
You're fine...stop worrying dude.

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

All,
This string is a riot!!  You guys are hilarious.  I actually know a guy who plays this barre with his 1st and 4th fingers...talk about a mutant!  I gave up on the high E-string on this chord long ago...and, I'm okay with that.  I've won other battles (I beat that nasty high E on a hammer-on / pull-off from the open C chord as in James Taylor's Fire and Rain - HA!  Take THAT, E-string!!).

Caracena
> One of these days I'll think of a clever signature <

Caracena wrote:

All,
I've won other battles (I beat that nasty high E on a hammer-on / pull-off from the open C chord as in James Taylor's Fire and Rain - HA!  Take THAT, E-string!!).

That'll teach it! 

I'm working on the intro to Rocky Mountain High and it's got pinky hammer-ons (there should be a law against having to hammer-on with a pinky) and pull-offs and power chords and all manner of inhumane whatnot.  Then I remember that John Denver played it all on a 12 string and feel even more humbled.  But at least there's no Evil B chord in Rocky Mountain High. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

30 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-08-17 21:26:31)

Hey Zurf, I'm sure that if you want to get the e string to ring clearly you will in time... I remember several months back you said the Evil B chord itself was impossible to get, except for the mutants of course smile Now here you are a mutant yourself wink It may seem out of reach at the moment but anything is possible with practice (IMO) once you build up the strength in your barring hand you'll be freeier to move the fingers around a little and get it if you want it....

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Hey Zurf, I'm sure that if you want to get the e string to ring clearly you will in time... I remember several months back you said the Evil B chord itself was impossible to get, except for the mutants of course smile Now here you are a mutant yourself wink It may seem out of reach at the moment but anything is possable with practice (IMO) once you build up the stregnth in your barring hand you'll be freeier to move the fingers around a little and get it if you want it....

My mutation is incomplete.  Not until I can use it in a song and keep the beat will I have mutated.  However, it does appear that I've been injected with the B-chord serum and that my DNA is beginning to change.  My fingers are beginning to look more like Russells gnarled appendages sound like they would look (what the?...).  I'm not sure if that's the guitar playing or the ravages of time and hammers.  If I could hammer my fingers and be able to sound the B chord clearly......... well, I guess I'd still be wanting for the B chord because there's no way in heck I'm hammering my hands on purpose. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Here's my penny's worth of adivce for A-shaped bar chords...I like to bar whatever fret I'm on with my pointer finger and play the A-shape with my ring finger and pinky.  You cover the D- and G-string with your ring and the B-string with your pinky.  Or...........you could just play an E-shape B-chord at the 7th fret (7-8-8-9-7-7).  Some people who truly are mutants can play the A-shaped B-chord just by barring the 2nd fret with their pointer and laying their ring finger across the D-,G-, and B-strings while still managing to keep the high e-string ringing clear.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Hi zurf,stop messing with the dog and get a divorce and you will not have too wear awedding ring any more,think that will help? ( I hope you know I am joking ) ,as I do not have a good solution too your problem      dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You know, I'm about to start practicing A shape barres on the A string and I've been trying to get my head round how do I get my ring finger to bend enough to clear the high E?  I guess there's no need to worry anymore and just mute it!

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

crevs.1972 wrote:

You know, I'm about to start practicing A shape barres on the A string and I've been trying to get my head round how do I get my ring finger to bend enough to clear the high E?  I guess there's no need to worry anymore and just mute it!

Plus, Russell extended amnesty!  That's exactly the problem I've been having. 

- Zurf

I still love that B7 chord Zurf.  evil B

Badeye cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

I still love that B7 chord Zurf.  evil B

Badeye cool

It's jaaaaaazzzzzzzzz, baby.  wink

john lee hooker say;s   in that ole' blues draw draw  " Thats Rite ". 

love it    cool   Badeye           

ah ..,, Finished a big swimming pool job today, pool,  deck  .pump house,   fence. big           terrazzo,   pavers,   on time,....     time off. all working good.    Cell phone turned off, vacation starts       .........,,,,   NOW....

off to camp,    guitar, harp ,..  check,..         beer...  check.....       have a good one

Badeye   TOO cool

one caper after another