Topic: BOB DYLAN

His lyrics are they poetry? I guess so.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by Guitarpix 2009-06-06 05:06:15)

Re: BOB DYLAN

Poetry?? I wouldn't say so.. I'd say some were poetic though. IMO When It's put to music it's lyrics not poetry. He's a great songwriter for sure, but I could never get past his voice. It's slightly annoying to me.

Hope all is well with you Doc! -Pix

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Poetry?? I wouldn't say so.. I'd say some were poetic though. IMO When It's put to music it's lyrics not poetry. He's a great songwriter for sure, but I could never get past his voice. It's slightly annoying to me.

Hope all is well with you Doc! -Pix

I'll second that. Also, if you read his lyrics, it's barely poetry. If you compare his prose to poetry it pales in comparison.
But, while I'm on a rant, he's far better lyrically than Jim Morrison ever was. Brace ourselves Doors fans....Morrison gets WAY TOO much credit for his lyrics. And teh band never got any credit. Without them, he'd be just another California 60's kid.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Here all along I thought Jim Morrison was THE GOD OF HELL FIRE!!!

Later, Wayne P

I don't like to compare musicians I have so many I love and respect.It is a gift to be musically creative and the ones that make an impact all seem to have a style all their own. Even if I don't like someones style I respect them.I can copy alot of folks by covering their songs but when you start trying to put a song together with some hooks,great lyrics and riffs and good rhythm it is a very tough deal.

"It's a long way to the top if you wanna Rock'n Roll"

Like his voice or not,Bob Dylan is a very creative writer and musician and has givin alot to his generation.

Later, Wayne P

Dylan has always had a terrible voice in my opinion, yet I have listened to him faithfully since the 60's and I really love his music.  He would never get past Simon Cowell, that's for sure.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Don't the call him "the nose"?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

One of my favorite Dylan tunes...

Cry Awhile - Bob Dylan

Love the lyrics... "A nasty, dirty, double-crossin', back-stabbin' phony I didn't wanna have to wanna deal with..."

and I like his tempo changes in this piece as well...

Embrace what you love.
Start with you.
Do the next right thing.

WHAT ABOUT LEONARD COHEN?