Topic: Electro Acoustic advice..

Hey guys,

Sorry if there's a thread on this but I couldn't even find a search function on the forum!

I need some advice.. I can strum/pick a load of songs but am trying to get into fingerstyle more..  Folk/Rock stuff..  I have several guitars but I only play two of them..  They are the Yamaha FG730S and an Ovation Applause AE28 whatever.. Time to sell that one I think.. I'm in the market for a decent electro acoustic and I am swaying towards a Takamine but I'm open to suggestions.. I don't really want to go over £300 and any cheaper would be a bonus. Obviously I would prefer a solid top and lowish action would be a plus. I know that electros under £200 are pretty crap but I'm hoping I could get something half decent in the £300 range..

So.. Any suggestions? Lets hear them!

Many thanks in advance..

Regards,

Joe.

Re: Electro Acoustic advice..

I have a Takamine EG561C betweeen 400-500 US $. I absolutely love it. I've had it about 5 years or so. It has a TK-4 pick up in it. Sounds great unplugged or plugged in. I haven't heard much bad about Takamine. I've played a 1/2 dozen. There all pretty fine. Try Alvarez too. Fantastic quality for the price

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks mate.  Appreciate it..  Any that stand out from these pages?  There seems to be quite a varied range for my budget..

http://www.nevadamusic.co.uk/Guitars/El … 5_pg0.aspx

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/p.php?n=176

I play a jumbo acoustic electric - Takamine - and it plays great. Regardless of what brand acoustic electric guitar you decide on thats only half of what you need. To get a good acoustic sound you will need a good quality acoustic amp. You will not get the sound you are looking for with an electric guitar amp. Playing through a PA system will work as well as a keyboard amp but an acoustic amp is the way to go. Do your research as there are many choices out there. I use a Roland AC-60 acoustic amp and and it has a really good sound and volumn.

Nela

Thanks Nela.

If I'm honest I'm not very good so I don't know too much about acoustic amps..  I appreciate the advice though.  Never gigged or anything like that.  I've had my Ovation plugged in.. I can't quite get used to the bowlback though..  It seems pretty awkward but it was one of my first guitars..  The amp is a Marshall G15RCD.  I can pick things like Tracy Chapman's Fast Car/some Springsteen acoustic stuff etc..  That's about my level..  Love playing though! 

Cheers,

Joe.

6 (edited by flester 2009-10-20 15:28:13)

Don't eliminate a US-made Ovation i.e. not an Applause or Celebrity. They are a totally different animal! Expensive new though but good value used

Have you considered just adding a pick up to the fg730s. They are great guitars and I think if you were to add say a K&K pick up to it you'd have a very nice acoustic electric. $100 for the pick up and a little more to upgrade it to bone saddle and pins and you'd have a great sounding guitar plugged or unplugged IMO.

Both Takamine and Ibanez are great bang for the buck guitars with excellent electronics. I'd try to go solid top and full size to keep a decent unplugged tone. I don't care for the slim models personally. Bottom line, It's your choice and I'd recommend trying what you can and seeing what sounds best and plays the most comfortably for you and your style of play.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I have been playing a Takamine EGS330-SC for about 6 years or so, and I LOVE it! Highly recommend it...

Hey Joe,

How do you like your Yamaha? I got a Yamaha APX500 electro-acoustic just over 2 years ago and have fallen deeply in love with it. Lovely sound and nice easy action. Lightyears ahead of the Fender I used to have.

Long time users of the forum are now fleeing in droves - O here he goes again, he's always bleatin on about his Yamaha - Only cos it's a fantastic guitar for 200 quid.

What I will say is - make sure you try before you buy, whatever you go for. And for you're price range I'd stay away from Guitar Guitar in Glasgow. Guitars on show are in a shocking state, unless you're spending in the region of £1000, in which case you get all the special treatment.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum. And yes, there is a search facility tongue

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

I like Ibanez' electronics.  The guitars themselves can be hit or miss, so be sure to play the very one that you'd be buying. 

I've like Alvarez guitars in the shop when I've played them, and they seem a good price.  Mitchell is another brand that I've played, but only the twelve strings, and they've sounded pretty good.  If the fit and finish (of which I am a poor judge) are any good, then that's a brand you can check out. 

I like the suggestion of electrifying your current guitar that you like.  It's already an old friend of your fingers. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks again guys..  Some excellent advice there! 

I love my Yamaha Alvee..  At first I thought the neck was a little thin but I'm used to it now..  And the sound is fantastic..  I got my FG730s (Tobacco Sunburst) from Imuso for £190.  What a steal! 

Funnily enough I was back home at the weekend and I went to guitar guitar..  Twice!!  Didn't buy anything though..  They don't really stock that many in my budget..  Only one G series..  Staff were pointing me towards a freshman but it didn't have that wow factor..

I bought a SD Woody HC soundhole pickup to give it a try..  It arrived yesterday..  Maybe you guys could help me with some amp settings??

I just want a kind of standard plugged in tone to begin with..  I have a Marshall G15R CD.. The settings are as follows..

Gain 1
Gain 2
Treble
Contour
Bass
Master Volume
Reverb

What should I set them to between 0 and 10?  (Roughly)

I play mainly rock/folk..  Strumming and Fingerstyle..

Thanks again for any advice..

Cheers,

Joe.

Just mess with it until you get something you like. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I like Ibanez' electronics.  The guitars themselves can be hit or miss, so be sure to play the very one that you'd be buying. 

I've like Alvarez guitars in the shop when I've played them, and they seem a good price.  Mitchell is another brand that I've played, but only the twelve strings, and they've sounded pretty good.  If the fit and finish (of which I am a poor judge) are any good, then that's a brand you can check out. 

I like the suggestion of electrifying your current guitar that you like.  It's already an old friend of your fingers. 

- Zurf

Im with Zurf on this one.
I was in the market for the Yamaha APX500 until I tried the same model by Ibanez. Better electronics with a tuner/mixer on the guitar as well. Acoustically, they sounded alike, but when plugged in.....wow, the ibanez just blazed ahead of the Yamaha!!!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I just bought one of the Yamaha APX 500s.  I sold my dreadnaught as it was causing me shoulder pain; I wanted a smaller-bodied instrument.

So far, pretty impressive.  This one has the built-in tuner and 4-band EQ as well, and I like the external battery port.  (my dreadnaught involved reaching in through the soundhole to swap batteries).

For a small guitar, it has a nice, balanced acoustic sound and works well amped as well.