Topic: Chord notation question

Hey, all.  The rookie is back with another question.

I picked up some music recently (in a published book) and saw some notation that I've not seen before and I'm hoping you can tell me what it means.

The song is "Crazy" (Patsy Cline) and the version I have is written in G.  There are two chords in it that are unusual:

G#o7, shown as XX0101 (see side note below)

and

C#o7, shown as XX2323

The "o"'s in front of the 7's are actually superscripts such that they look like degree symbols (as in degrees F or C), but I don't know how to show that here.

Side note:  The chord finder shows this as Do7 (not G#), so my music may have a typo.

Anyway, two questions:

1.  What does the degree symbol mean?

2.  Which is right, the music or the chord finder?

Thanks.
'nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Chord notation question

Howdy,

I think what you are looking at is a G# 07(like in superscript), which should indicate a Diminished 7th as opposed to a +7 which would be Augmented 7th.  In those four note chords the 7th would be flatted to diminish the voicing.

My handy guide shows the G07 as xx5656  , so the G#07 would be something like xx6767
  G0 called the G Diminished triad would be xx5323.

A Diminished chord consists of : 1st, b3rd, b5th
A Diminished 7th chord consists of:  1st, b3rd, b5th, (and double flatted) bb7th

Hope that is not too confusing, someone else might have a clearer answer so keep tuned in to this channel.

Take Care,
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug:

Thanks for the reply and the information.

The engineer in me has to ask:  Any idea why, if a "+" means augmented, diminished isn't designated by a "-" (minus)?

Astro

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Yep. That's a diminished chord.

The reason the chord finder is confused is because of an odd artifact of diminished chords.  If you take a look a the notes you are playing in that chord.

D G#(Ab) B F

If examine what notes are in a Ddim7 (D F Ab B), you'll find all those notes.  If you examine what's in Ab dim (G# B D F), you'll find all those notes.  If you examine what's in Fdim (F  Ab  B  D), you will likewise find all those notes.   So in a very real sense, a G#dim IS also a Ddim, and a Bdim, and an F dim.

It's like learning one chord, and getting three more for free.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

so its kinda like what set of notes (dim form) sounds best with the arrangment ( voicing) interesting information there Jerome smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Yep.  And because the chord is made up of minor 3rds, if you want another voicing for the same chord, you can just move up or down the neck three frets, and there you are.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

it reminds me of the song "along came Jones" on the breaks "he grabbed her and then" etc.. the chords are diminished moving up the neck I kind of place the diminished chord as a chord that needs resolution like a sus chord or possibly a 7b9 the chords have tension in them smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi Astro,

The engineer part is correct as well, as I have seen chords written with a "-" to indicate a flatted 5th, 7th, or 9th also.  The reasoning eludes me, but I have noticed unusual symbols on other music, often on scores originating overseas.  Kind of like what we consider common is an "Americanized" version.

Always helps to ask though.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare