Topic: GUITAR BODY SHAPE

We all are familiar with the GUITAR BODY since decades
There is an amazing resemblance compared to a WOMAN'S BODY, but this is probably a coincidence.
In analogy with the Electric Guitar, having normal to weird shapes, the acoustic guitar didn't change a lot.
- What is the purpose, the benefit of the ACTUAL guitar shape?
Is the "classic guitar body" (I use here very good wood) made in that particular shape to have an optimal sound, created by that typical shape?
I know that the wood used for the top is responsible for generating sound waves, also the sides and back, but compared to the top how important are they.
I tried to find since long information, and the only conclusion I have is almost PHYSICA: sound waves, air compression....
- What result would we see if an acoustic guitar, made of the finest and best woods, is a square box, or has a square shape? What about the sound coming out of that squared box shaped guitar?

SINCE A FEW MONTHS I TRY TO FIND DECENT INFORMATION, BUT I JUST GOT IT IN ELECTRIC GUITARS, the "BO DIDLEY" square body.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: GUITAR BODY SHAPE

I've wondered about this too but I just ended up thinking that the shape we know and love is just because it is more comfortable to hold and rest on the knee. Also just because we all know and love the shape. It's like if they bring out a very different looking car, with odd shape or odd light positions. No-one likes it cos it doesn't look like a car.

And maybe the whole resembling the female curves thing has more to do with it than we like to admit.

Now, come on, some smarty pants, and tell me it's all to do with tone and sound quality.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Alvee, glad to see that I'm not the only one. About electric guitars, it is like "normal" the different shapes, sometimes really extreme, but we don't discuss about that. The question about the guitar shape of an acoustic, is quit interesting as is the "woman"shape too. I know that in the acoustic department of a guitar store, that I saw a YAMAHA, as ELECTRO-ACOUSTIC.
I'd love to know what is most important: an electro-acoustic, you can really use as an acoustic at home, without an amp. My Martin D-1 is el-ac and plays as loud as the others. Ovation: lf played without amp, very different.
My guess about the acoustic shape is physica, you can determine sound waves, a sound spectrum, and about a square box body, it is a lot easier to make I think. WHERE ARE THE SCIENTISTS HERE? It is so normal the actual shape and because of this there has to be a reason.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

well,
the reason for the shape on an acousitc is because the man that invented this shape was going away from home for lengthy periods without a woman, so he made it this shape to remind him of his wife. At that time it did not even have strings on it or a neck, it was just a body so he could hug into it at night to feel like he was in his own bed. A few months later he added a neck and and a head so he could kiss it goodnight. After another few months he was getting bored as the guitar was just lying there like a plank of wood as some wives do ( so I am told) He did not like this so he thought for a while then decided to put strings on it to twang away with.
Tarrra, we have the guitar!
this is why it will remind some men of a woman's body, and if it is in perfect working order it always has a g string on lol

yeah, you guessed it, I have no idea either why it is this shape but I would say for the tone and for comfort.
If you look up pics on google for a baby ozark guitar you will see they are not all the same shape. the baby ozark is more like an paddle for a boat. This was invented by a  tribesman in the amazon, he was bored with his paddle and decided he could do more with it so he made......... OK, I iwll not go into that again. I have no idea why the baby ozark is not the same shape as most guitars lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

KEN, let's grab our stuff and we will live in a cave. I slept in a cave, I believe in 1974. They issued train tickets, priced $100, and you could go where ever you want, even to MOROCCO. There was a rule: 1 departure in ONE station, so going somewhere, returning to the train station in Brussels for some days, leaving again was not possible. I went with a friend to Greece, and Crete, (your on the road for at least 24-36 hours). In CRETE, in a place called MATALA .
During the 70's the caves were hosting an international hippie community. That was a cultural shock for the local community, which had met no tourists before the hippies arrived. Also
Great musicians like Cat Stevens and Joni Mitchell have been here for some time composing beautiful songs about the beauty of the bay of Matala..  When I went there, the hippies started to move, and because of almost no tourists, that cave was great. 2 years later, they closed the the caves.
About cave men, a woman has a lot more difficulties to orientate than a man: CAUSED by a kind of compass in a men's head, because they left for hunting and it take weeks before they returned. A MAJORITY was playing guitar.

Check this site out about the history of the guitar.

http://www.guyguitars.com/eng/handbook/ … story.html

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

texan,
that was a superb link,
thanks for sharing it.
Very interesting parts in that.
I am now thinking apart from the scottish the egyptians are also fantastic inventors, so much came from there thousands of years ago and although changed through the years, they started a lot first.

cheers

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

texan - I agree with UYK - that was a very interesting link. Thanks a bunch.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

AMAZING!! THANKS FOR THE LINK.
I surf a lot, mainly on sites about guitars, or bands, but that one is unknown to me.
Concerning sound: I have a MARTIN Backpacker, the body has a triangular shape, difficult to play when you sit, and a thick guitar neck PRODUCING A FUNNY, SPECIAL SOUND.
Were/are there luthiers who made a square body?

I don't know about the rest of the shape and such, but I can tell you why Bo Diddly plays a square guitar.  It's an homage to his father.  They were poor and young Bo wanted to play guitar.  His father couldn't afford a guitar, but he built one for young Bo using a cigar box he found.  Now that he is capable of purchasing any guitar he wants, or having any guitar he wants built for him, Bo Diddly retains the square shape as a thank you to the ingenuity and interest of his father. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Doc,
   Very interesting topic . May even be able to shed some light .
   The accoustic guitar is shaped the way it is to produce the tones that it does .
    The top bout produces the treble , hence refered to as the treble bout . Lower bout produces the bass , ie. bass bout . The waist produces midrange .
   That is why the dreadnoughts have a very strong mid , while jumbos have less mid and stronger treble and bass tones .
   Of coarse there are many other variables that come into play such as body depth,
and the tone woods that the instrument is made of whether it be maple back and sides , rosewood back and sides , or mahagony .
Tops or soundboards are usually tight grain spruce , but there are variations on this also .
Very interesting that you would think of a square or rectangle shape .......
I have heard a fiddle played that had a rectangular shaped body ( they called it a cigar box fiddle ) I thought it lacked tonal definition , as it would if the above is true .
hope this helps.........

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

GSE is probably closest...  I read an extensive history of the guitar a few years ago, tracing it's roots from primitive gourd-banjos and similar instruments made by tribal musicians up through the present day.
The earliest "guitar"-shaped instruments, as we think of them today, are likely from the vihuela family, which in turn descended from the slightly earlier "guitarra latina".
We're talking 15th and 16 centuries here.     
The shape is both practical and visually pleasing.   There is a nice balance between treble and bass tones with most designs, and it's easy to hold and play as well.
It's interesting to note that tradition likely acts as a brake on more radical developments; I imagine that the standard flat-top steel-string guitar is still the most-sold, and it's existed pretty much in this form for well over 100 years.
When I started playing back in the 70s, it was pretty hard to find an acoustic guitar with a cutaway....

I have a slim hollowbody 1960 Gibson ES330 that has enough sound to practice without an amp. The female shape is most comfortable when I have to play for a long while. It is my axe for life.
My mid-70's Yamaha dreadnought acoustic is comfortable to play while sitting. The big body rests comfortably on either knee.
I finally got used to holding my skinny Martin Backpacker down with my right wrist and forearm so it won't rotate on me. It has a full neck so I can play most anything I do on any guitar. It has good volume despite the odd uke sound and is easy to travel with.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Go into aguitar shop with helpful staff. Try an electro acoustic with a relativley shallow body, then a concert acoustic, a Drednought and maybe a good parlour guitar if you can find one.  You will then see what the differece is.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.