Topic: OVER THE RAINBOW

I would like to give a little background on this song before I video tape my instrumental arrangement of it,the music was composed by Harold Arlen and the Lyrics by E.Y.Harburg in 1939 and sung by Judy Garland in the movie "The Wizard of Oz" I found the chord changes here on Chordie under "Over The Rainbow by Olivia Newton John" I have taken the liberty of re- arranging the basic chord structure by adding some additional minor 7th and diminished chords because the arrangement lacked a flowing transition to suit my treatment.I pre-recorded the basic guitar track so I could play a lead to it with my Boss RC-20XL loop station the lead solo is kicked through a Boss ME-50 using delay and distortion (fat setting on tone and rat on distortion) this was fed into a stereo Phonic pa, there are no other tracks added I will upload it later to myspace and provide a link to the video. smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Re: OVER THE RAINBOW

my apitite wetted, i wait in complete anticipation

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Russell....what's happening here? Where's the Rock and Roll? I'm dying to hear this....please tell me you're going toughen it up a bit?????  smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Russell,

I have been working on this song for awhile also. I am doing mine I should say trying to do a Eva Cassidy style. It takes alot of practice to play and sing this one. I am trying to get it down with just a vocal and guitar. Such a nice song smile

I will keep an eye out for yours smile

Later, Wayne P

well this is no Eva Cassidy to be sure but its my arrangement a few minor boo boos but I left them in just to show you I am human lol besides overall I was pleased with it and re doing it again and again dilutes the original feeling hope you enjoy smile
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea … =102760401

That was really good, Russell.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Very Good Russell !!

Later, Wayne P

Russell ,

One of the best things about music is the different twists people do with great songs like this smile

Later, Wayne P

Thanks for taking time to give a listen I appreciate all your comments smile

Hey Rusell---another fine job, enjoyed your take on the lead. I mess around with song occasionally.   Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Now I liked that!...

hey Mike thanks its fun to mess around with songs like getting your hands into some soft wet clay lol

papaguitar wrote:

Hey Rusell---another fine job, enjoyed your take on the lead. I mess around with song occasionally.   Mike

Randy its been a bit how ya been? glad ya liked the tune it was fun arranging smile

riddler wrote:

Now I liked that!...

Yer can still have yer rock n roll geo big_smile this is my favorite version,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFm_yoslKs

cool Dont Stop Kid Keep Rockin'  !! cool

Strange, beautiful music.  Nice job with it!

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

Thank you Stephen smile

06sc500 wrote:

Strange, beautiful music.  Nice job with it!

Russ you are on a roll my friend that was excellent.
The arrangment for the strat was right on the money with the FX set just right. Upbeat without going over the top.
All in all one of your best covers.
Thanks
ark

Excellent Russell... I agree with Ark... just right and not over the top... in fact, I will even say it was beautiful!  I think even Judy would have liked your version!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Very impressive Russ, someday I hope to be able to understand the guitar like you. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Ark its nice to hear this thank you this song has always been a favorite and untill I got the effects and loop station I most likely would not have attempted it thanks smile

arkady wrote:

Russ you are on a roll my friend that was excellent.
The arrangment for the strat was right on the money with the FX set just right. Upbeat without going over the top.
All in all one of your best covers.
Thanks
ark

MKM thank you even tho it is a older song there is a lot of emotion in the melody and Judy was able to bring it out I loved that movie (I still have a copy) glad you liked my take on it smile

mekidsmom wrote:

Excellent Russell... I agree with Ark... just right and not over the top... in fact, I will even say it was beautiful!  I think even Judy would have liked your version!

Cam it takes a while to feel comfortable with an instrument but once you do music is a real joy  I appreciate  your thoughts smile

cameronkl7 wrote:

Very impressive Russ, someday I hope to be able to understand the guitar like you. Thanks for sharing that with us all.

Cam

Well done Sir. Excellent job (as always) I really liked your version.

I was expecting that strat to growl at some point though!! Another classic for your wedding band!!  smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Geo thanks for commenting my strat can and will growl on songs that have a little more drive and edge to them this I felt needed more sustain and tonal quality looks like I may have to order the cumber bun (no way lol ) thanks for taking the time to give a listen smile

geoaguiar wrote:

Well done Sir. Excellent job (as always) I really liked your version.

I was expecting that strat to growl at some point though!! Another classic for your wedding band!!  smile

Lovely stuff Sir,

With a nice glass of red. i say Slainte " My tipple for tonight, as i stayed home .

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !