Topic: "Crazy" Cover of a Cover

Hello,

This is a cover I did of Shawn Colvin's "Crazy" turns out hers is a cover also. Gnarls Barkley did it first and I am not sure if he wrote it. Has some pretty cool lyrics in it.

I used a HD-28 acoustic guitar with a Fred Kelly Slick Pick thumbpick and recorded the guitar and vocals with a Shure KSM-27 condensor mic and then went into a Peavey non powered mixer then into my computer and used Audacity to clean up the sound I didn't add any effects, just me and the guitar. It's kind of tough getting the mic placement right when recording with only one mic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGWXiEJs7Io

Later, Wayne P

Re: "Crazy" Cover of a Cover

Great cover of a cover of a cover, wlbaye.  Sounds good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

You nailed it!!!!!!!!!! I was familiar with the Barkley version (my wife listens to alot of pop music) and when you mentioned it I thought how cool it could be....well sir, you exceeded expectations. You made that song your own....well done!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks, Benson !

No, Geo
You need to listen to Shawn Colvin she nails it, I get goose bumps when I hear her play and sing this song.
Thanks for the Kind words smile

Later, Wayne P

Hey Wayne, What can I say but once again great job!! I liked the balance you got--sounds good. I'm still messin with an old Tascam 4 track. Need to upgrade but too many other needed things first. Some times my work takes me to Wy. Last year we were at Peetz, Co. and drove thru Wy. Who knows--I might get to see you live singin-n-pickin!       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

I am unfamiliar with the term "cover." I see it used in the comments all over You Tube. What does it mean?

Thanks,

Gits

Well done Wayne - I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Epiphone DR500
Taylor 710Ce-Ltd
Epiphone SG400
Fender Squier CV50 Telecaster

Left you a comment on the tube!  Fantastic Wayne!  I look forward to learning this one while playing along with your recording!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

4gits&counting wrote:

I am unfamiliar with the term "cover." I see it used in the comments all over You Tube. What does it mean?

Thanks,

Gits

I cover means that you are playing the song as it was originally played (maybe with a little twist of your own)... it's not "your own"  original song.  That's why Wayne called it a cover of a cover... he's not playing it the way Gnarls Barkely did... but instead the way Shawn Colvin did!  smile

10 (edited by wlbaye 2010-03-02 21:01:27)

papaguitar wrote:

Hey Wayne, What can I say but once again great job!! I liked the balance you got--sounds good. I'm still messin with an old Tascam 4 track. Need to upgrade but too many other needed things first. Some times my work takes me to Wy. Last year we were at Peetz, Co. and drove thru Wy. Who knows--I might get to see you live singin-n-pickin!       Mike

Hey, Papa

Thank you, I sure don't have any thing fancy the little mixer I plug my mic into is just a little non-powered peavey about a $90.
unit and I go into my mic input on my computer and use Audacity and it is a free recording program you can download off the net.
I used a couple of different interfaces but returned both of them, they record with less noise I think but I'm gonna wing it with what I have for awhile.

You can see me live and pickn at the Bighorn Mountain Festival www.bighornmountainfestival.com   July 9 -11   
In Beautiful Buffalo Wyoming.
I usually have a group playing at our campsite smile

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Chevo !

MKM ,

Thanks for all your support, and for clearing up any confusion, over a cover of a cover of a cover "Craziness" smile

Later, Wayne P

I don't know if I'll EVER be able to play as well as you Wayne... but here's my "simpled down" version!  smile  I really ENJOY singing this song!  Thank you again for the suggestion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojAQWnFYS5o

Howdy Wayne,
That is a real nice cover of a cover of an original. I just listened to the original and original cover and I prefer your cover hands down.
Thanks for sharing big_smile and a real nice mix to boot.

Kenny

Hi MKM,
For someone that's only been playing a short while that is an excellent cover of a cover of a cover of an original.
Kudos for playing and posting it up. big_smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey thanks alot Kenny !

Amy,
Man you are doing well, I am so proud of you. That is not an easy song and I'm sure you been workin hard on it.

Later, Wayne P

Hey Mek, Very good. You have a great singing voice. You noted that you were playing your guitar
       with the simplest of pick/strum. In my opinion.....simple can be the best way for some songs.
       Keep up the hard work-hope to hear more.           Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Both jobs well done! MKM is easier on the eyes. IMHO!  HA HA!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Come on....What about a duet???? Easily done through the internet and some good competition for Harding/Williams!!! Seriously, your voices could be fantastic together. It could be easily mixed. MKM could re-sing her part to Wayne's timing.

MKM your playing is coming along...amazing progress. Your voice is really, really good.

How about that duet??????

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks guys!  You've got me blushing with all this "great voice" and "easy on the eyes" stuff!  wink  I did post in Wayne's thread rather than start my own to make sure that he gets lots of credit!  If he hadn't suggested this song with my voice I probably wouldn't have ever tried it.  Geo... I like your idea of a duet, but I don't know if a standard computer microphone or a junky old camera recording will hold up to Wayne's awesome little set up!  I'm wondering what will be a better choice for future purchases... a new guitar... or some recording hardware... hmmmm.... perhaps I'd best start playing the lotto!

Hey Wyane and amy
Prowling around the recording forum I came across your covers not familiar with the song but you both sounded really nice..
I guess most guitar player's and singers find the acoustic value of the bathroom at sometime smile
Well done
ark

Sorry i missed this post earlier  Amy,

Maybe because its on Wlbays thread. I Just listened on the tube. left a comment for you..

I love the song, loved Wlbays cover. Your version is  "Just wonderful"  also, simply played and beautifully sung.
You 2 should really try get together somehow. I just know you'd make a magical sound together.

Go girl.. Oh ! and Wilbaye of course. lol

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old doll is right again. Love Wilbaye's music and Amy's. Amy looks great, though, and I believe Wayne will concur.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

22 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-03-26 10:25:59)

Thank you! 
Ark - Sometimes the bathroom seems like the only quiet place in the house... I was playing in there while my 2 1/2 yr old was taking a bath and decided to just record... so I sent her out to watch "Dora The Explorer" and just brought the camera in since I was already there!  LOL!

Old Doll - Thank you... I posted in here, still hiding in the bathroom so to speak!  smile

Tuba - wink  I did put a little makeup on just for the camera... but my goodness, my hair wasn't even done!  LMAO!  Thank you.

I aspire to be capable of playing half as well as Wayne does!

Wow! Both versions are beautiful & original takes on the song. Thanks for the share.

Wlbaye, that Martin's sound is incredible. Wish I could get my hands on a hd-28...

Thanks Mrjay,

I have a love hate relationship with this guitar, sometimes I get so frustrated with it and other times it is the best. If you don't use a flatpick or a thumbpick with it the bass seems to take over. I am starting to learn how to control it a little more.

Thank You everyone for your nice comments smile

Later, Wayne P

nice job of singing and picking for both versions but I must agree mekidsmom is easier on the eyes lol

"Growing old is not for sissies"