Topic: Sound file Formats?

Just wondering what format to use when sending files via the internet for collaborations. Do Mp3 files lose alot ? Once compressed are you still able to work with them ?

Thanks

Later, Wayne P

Re: Sound file Formats?

Hi wayne
Always used MP3 recorded at 128bit rate for my collabs. Reasonably sized files with not much loss of quality and email friendly.
wav files are huge and other types of sound files are not widely used now in the amateur world.
I've not encountered much trouble using them for mixing etc.
ark

Thanks alot Ark,

That's kinda what I figured, I'm still stumblin and bumblin in this hi-tech world smile   At times seems like the world is flyin by and I am strugglin to hitch a ride.

Later, Wayne P

4 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-06 16:38:31)

Size is a big issue when it comes to sending anything back and forth via email... check with the person you're sending the file to.  I know my ISP (road runner) will only allow a max file size of 5mb at a time.  I'm sure there's online places to share files with others if you need to upload and download bigger files than that. 

edit Just looked this up quick, and this one looks like a good one:  http://www.mediafire.com/  ... they'll allow file sizes of 200mb each which is HUGE... and the site is free (you can upgrade and pay to share files up to 2 gig).   That is, if you need to send the file in a different format or can't email it due to size issues.  I haven't used this myself... any time I've needed to share a file that's huge, I usually do some sneaky stuff on my website hosting plan and do it that way cuz then I have FULL control.  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Mediafire is the way to go with large files...me, Russell and several others on here use it...you can also password the files so only people you give the password to can download it......

Thanks Folks,

I will check out mediafire.

Later, Wayne P

Mediafire will allow you to use .wavs if you choose. They are slightly better although with my playing there are far bigger issues!!!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello