Topic: Need recommendation for best $100 acoustic guitar

Hello Chordites.
I'm looking for a second acoustic guitar and I only have $100 to spend.
I understand this is far fetched but does anyone have a good recommendation?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Need recommendation for best $100 acoustic guitar

Craigslist and on-site playing/testing are your friends...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I don't know the market over there, but I believe the prices equate the same regardless of exchange rate.

Bearing that in mind, there are Solid Top guitars (of unknown quality) for around £125. If you can cobble a little more together you will get more second-hand and new.

Post a pic of what you get!

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

4 (edited by Detman101 2009-05-14 19:33:55)

Sorry, I know of guitars that sell for 100 dollars but I cannot, in good faith, recommend you to them.
I remember how hard it was for me to learn on my first guitar, which was a 100 dollar guitar.

Coincidentally enough, my current guitar is a 70 dollar guitar (Fender original pricing) and it plays better than anything I've ever picked up.

smile

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

You may want to try the Takamine Jasmine S-35 for $99. While it's not a solid top it is one of the best  lower end guitars you will play. I've had mine for 10 years now and i love it. I actually play it more than my more expensive solid top. Just lower the action on it and put on some phosphor bronze strings and you will be sure to love it.

This Epiphone is a real nice guitar for <100$. It comes in natural, sunburst, and black, you get to choose, have a look......

http://www.music123.com/Epiphone-DR-100 … 9.Music123

Good luck in your search,
Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.

i say get an ephiphone gibson, it caused me $129. But i live in Canada so the price range is probably different.

Smoke On The Water and Fire In The Water

I picked up a '95 Fender g10 acoustic dreadnaught. Plays like heaven's choir. $100 even with case from a local pawnshop. You literally can do no wrong with it, and it's a Korea mfg. If you find a fender acoustic g10/11 give it a strum. You'll hear the difference between other acoustics immediately. Good luck!! - Shane

sshields hit on a good thought, if your firm on your price that you can pay, pawn shops are the way to go, but take somewith you to look over the guitar if your not sure what your looking at, sometimes, you find a really nice deal, good luck, let us know what you do.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Rogue.  Trust me.  $79.99 for the plain acoustic, $129.99 for electric/acoustic.  Throw on a set of quality strings and you'll sound great.

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

i bought a Jay turse acoustic guitar for  a  campfire beater for $100 canadian and am amazed with it. the thing has never seen a case, gets banged around by the kids, was left in the car for about 3 days in the dead of winter and the damn thing stays in tune and has ok sound for a cheap guitar.

All the above ideas are solid. In your search don't exclude Alvarez. They make some pretty fine low end acoustics

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I've only been playing about a month.  I have started off with a $100 guitar.  However it quickly turned into a $115 guitar after the first week and about 8 hours of work and lots of helpful advice from Chordie members.
You will most likely need new light weight strings.  A good set of light weight strings cost $15.  You will most likely have to set up your guitar.  I had to adjust my truss rod, file the string grooves in the nut and lower the saddle.  Now my guitar sounds good and is much easier to play.  That said, if I had to do it all over again I would.  I have learned so much about how to maintain my guitar by having to adjust my own.  I know what to look for when I purchase my next guitar.  I will bring my ruler with me to measure the string height at the 12th fret.  I will bring my straight edge to see is there is warp in the neck. 

If you don't want to go the set up route then I would buy a used guitar from a pawn shop or Craigslist but be sure to have an experienced player go with you to check it out.

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

In my limited experience, a good brand and second hand will see you right.

Get friendly with the local guitar shop and ask them to let you know of any they get in on part-ex, you could get very lucky and pick up a lovely bargain which they don't want hanging around.

As there isn't too much you can do to improve an acoustic, as regards to a set-up (unlike a solid body electric), buying quality really counts.

15 (edited by Strumbox 2010-03-12 14:09:48)

This is an excellent guitar for $100.00 new. They come in sunburst, natural and black. Buy one and get started. (Epi AJ-100)

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh215/Fadedepi/Epi-AJ-100.jpg

Strumbox...

T@SBGTRWKS

My vote goes to any of the Epiphone entry level models.  Both the DR-1000 and the PR-150 are great guitars to bang around on.  Those who dismiss $100 guitars as junk haven't played one lately.  Certainly the quality of build is not the same as a $800 instrument, but with good strings and good set up you'll reday to go.

I second the "Jasmine S-35" by Takamine for $99.00 at MF. Bought one for my son. Worth every schilling!!!

At a $100 price point, make and model isn't going to make any difference, as the build quality will vary so wildly that you can't guarantee anything without playing it.

So go play a whole bunch of them, and buy the one that talks to you.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

May I suggest Takamine? I think its a Jasmine or something like that.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I played a Rouge Dreadnought and suprisingly it was a decent guitar, musicans friend sells them for $89.00 I bought my bang around acoustic at guitar center, A Yamaha F335 it cost a little more ( $125.00) but it plays and sounds great for the price.