Re: Chicken and Buttermilk Biscuits

Just for clarity, the same person has not owned the Leesburg Restaurant since the mid-1800's. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

AAaahhh Lena I do have sympathy!  Although I've not had to deal with a weight control issue myself... my Gem has constant tirades for me and my culinary capacity.  Yes I do cook and well! 

I've put together a Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe that is to die for.... AND whittled the calories down to about 200 a slice, cut the fats by 2/3, and it is very edible.  Sadly I cannot share it at this time as I have had an offer from a commercial entity to purchase it for distribution through their food system.  If their offer was a little better.... I'd deliver a slice or two to you personally!  At the moment I must keep the formula close until this all gets sorted out.

I'll dig around in my notes and see if I can come up with something not too sinful that will fill the void in the interim.

Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

It's OK Doug.  We won't tell anyone.  We promise. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Mz Lena, you Old Doll, I just read a few posts back that you were having a little problem with your "little rear" swelling up since you been eating them bisquits and I wanted to offer some solutions.

If you are eating too many bisquits just try making them bigger. Then you tell everyone you cut down from 4 bisquits to 2 bisquits per sitting.

Never take a bisquit thats ready for the baking pan and deep fry that rascal. MMM-MMM good

Never add cheese to the bisquit dough prior to baking. This'en will make EVERYTHANG swell up.

Never add uncooked bisquits to your favorite fruit cobbler recipe before placing it in the oven. (Apple, pear, peach, cherry, strawberry) This will cause you to hurt yourself.

Never add a good sweetened cocoa powder to your bisquit recipe. It'll turn'em brown.

Nela

55 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-04-20 02:19:38)

Note to Doug, Zurf, MKM and the Old Doll Baby:  Probably the two best things I ever make when cooking is my homemade sausage gravy over biscuits and my pecan pies.  Any pie I make gets rave reviews, primarily over the flaky crust.  My sausage gravy is seasoned soooooooo well that it just melts in your mouth.  I put waaaaaaay tooooooo much sausage in my batches, but it is what I like, so damn it I make it that way.   And MKM, I love spices, hot stuff and apply liberal amounts to most of my cooking.  Since I am trying to lose weight, all I can do right now is talk about food as I am staying away from most of it, or as Doll might say, nae having any!   Old Doll, thanks for the headsup on the soup recipe; it is very similar to something I have been making and it sounds delicious.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Zurf... sorry to hear about you missing your dear Grandma.  Do try Lena's brown bread recipe.  It is DELISH... especially toasted with a glob of butter.  MMMMMMmmmmm

Nela... when I make my Chicken Wing Soup... I make "Red Lobster Style" Cheddar Bay Biscuits to go with.  Just take that biscuit recipe and add in a ton of cheddar cheese to the mix... spread upon the tops a little "Chicken - Better than Bullion".  I hope everyone can find it in their grocery store.  If not... look for "Miners" brand bullion.  Both come in a container and are a "bullion" paste that must be kept in the fridge after opening.  It is superior to any bullion you will ever find (and I personally like my soups and such stronger than any purchased stock).  At Red Lobster they actually top their Cheddar Bay Biscuits with a powder mix that they use to make their shrimp scampi ... my version works great and everyone else thinks they should put garlic and butter on top and still don't know why their biscuits aren't quite the same.  I am in LOVE with those biscuits!  Oh yes... making some today with my soup!

Doug!!!  I wish I could send you a piece of my cheesecake I made yesterday so you could tell me just whats missing!  I took a few recipes that were rather different and tried to make one my own... but something just isn't right.  Don't get me wrong, it's good... my husband is THRILLED that I will HAVE to try again.  I'm thinking maybe another egg, a little less lemon peel, and a bit of salt.  Hmmm... I sure would love to see your recipe.  You keep us updated on when that might be available to the general Chordie public!  smile  Just ONE QUESTION... do you bake it in a bath???????  I've never tried that and wondering if it will really make a big difference???????

Bass Viking ...  Take some Brussels Sprouts a bit of olive oil, sprinkle of salt and lots of garlic and BAKE with a few Taters in the oven... they don't need to be coated in oil or butter... just toss em in the oven with skins on (they'll still get a little crispy)... grab yourself a chicken breast and season her up reallly good with your fab spices and broil (or throw it on the grill)!  Have yourself a few glasses of ice water with a bunch fresh lemon and a dash of your favorite hot sauce!  Of course, nothing compares to good ole fashioned exercising... I'm with Old Doll... lets all start jogging in place during our meals!  big_smile

Of course... a little romaine salad never hurt anyone (unless you are like me and tend to turn every salad into an antipasto of sorts! LOL)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Hi MKM,

No!!! Well maybe you could bake it in a bath.... but only a cheesecake.  Anything with a pastry crust needs to heat rapidly so that the steam coming out of the pastry drives any moisture from the filling out of the crust so it is flaky.  It took me over three years and countless variations to come up with my version of cheesecake.... hence the secrecy.  I may have goofed and e-mailed it to Old Doll a year ago before I came up with the final "diet" version.  I bake in a convection/microwave for a mere 1/2 hour at a lower temp than I would in a conventional oven and let the radio waves work their magic to get the center done without turning the eggs into a Souflee.  Were you having difficulty with the finished texture?  or?  Drop me a line with more info & I might be able to suggest something.  Those folks made a reasonable offer at $30K, but balked when I countered with that and 5% of the gross sales..... I'm thinking they decided to "reverse engineer" it instead, the greedy so-n-sos!

Sorry, Love to cook and naturally eat the results, but I'm one of those..... you know the type.... six foot and just under 160 forever no matter what goes in.  Janet on the other hand just sees me grab the flour bin, and feels her jeans getting tighter!

Happy Cooking!
Doug

58 (edited by mekidsmom 2010-04-20 23:08:05)

Ahhhh... now I'm getting some ideas... I will stay away from the water bath, I've heard that it's the "only way" to bake a cheese cake because of it being "like a custard" ... but I don't like mine with a "custard" texture.  I like the somewhat dry "NY Style".  The texture was ok on mine... I think it needed a little more "fluff" to it without being more moist however.  That's why I'm thinking another egg or so.  The taste is a little off however.  It just doesn't have that... overly richness to it that I like!  wink 

OLD DOLL Here's my Mom's Recipe... turns out it's actually My Grandma's recipe ... who knows where she got it!  This recipe is sooooo different than any cheesecake I've ever made!

Cheese Cake from the kitchen of Agnes Violet Henry (Froebel)

1 1/2 Cups (about 20) Graham Crackers - Crushed
1/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Cup melted Oleo (crisco)

1 LB Cream Cheese
3 Eggs
1/2 Cup Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla

1 Pint Sour Cream
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 Cup Sugar

1. Mix first set of ingredients to form crust. Press into pie dish.
2. Blend eggs into cream cheese one at a time.  Add sugar and vanilla.  Mix well.  Pour into crust and bake @ 350 for 25 minutes.  Cool 10 minutes at room temperature and an additional 5 minutes in the fridge
3. BEAT 3rd set of ingredients for 15 minutes.  Pour over top of slightly cooled cake.  Bake for 10 minutes @350.  Refrigerate immediately.  Cool overnight before serving

OK - I've got to chime in here. You gals (and guys) are killing me here. I want to be first on the list for "cheesecake around the world" and "brown bread around the world". I'll pay shipping!

My wife doesn't bake and I can't find an apron that fits. big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi MKM,

Got it!  I think what you are looking for is that New York Style recipe for sure!  Everything you have so far is really close to the NY recipe I have hanging around... only difference is real vanilla (like from a bean, with the seeds) and the cheese to egg ratio is a bit off.  Generally you would use only one egg per 8oz of cream cheese.  Try 2more packs of "Philly" and substitute powdered sugar for the granulated bumped up by 1/4 cup to adjust for the volume change.  The corn starch in the powdered sugar will change the way everything creams together and should get you a bit more loft while binding everything together for a slightly "drier" result.

Beat it to death!  Like frosting, the more the better.... final mix should be fairly stiff about like decorator icing.  Almost needs to be "pressed" into the crust with a spatch and manipulated like icing a layer cake.  It will melt and level out while in the oven so it doesn't have to be really "pretty".  The only other thing I would do is drop the temp 25 degrees and add 10 minutes to the time to make up for the cooler temp.  The eggs tend to puff up and get sponge-like if cooked too fast, which is why most custards and things like Flan are baked in a fairly cool oven around 300 or lower, or in a water bath.

Hope that is helpful.

Have Fun;
Doug

Hey Top, I got one that you could do.... and doesn't even require an oven!  How about a Peanut Butter Pie?

This one will knock you off your diet, but yesterday was my oldest boy's birthday and I asked him what kind of cake he wanted, as I usually bake and decorate something special for the kids.  He requested a Peanut Butter Pie, and this is the recipe I have for this easy confection:

1  9" deep dish prepared graham cracker crust (I use Oreo cookies! crushed with the filling removed and mixed with the melted butter)

1 1/2 Cups Peanut Butter (creamy or crunchy your choice)

1 Cup Powdered Sugar

1 8oz package softened cream cheese

1 8 oz tub of non-dairy whipped topping (straight from the freezer)

Mix everything together in a bowl except the whipped topping until well blended.  Add  the topping cut into manageable chunks and beat well with an electric mixer until uniform.  Trowel into the prepared crust and refrigerate for at least 4 hours.  Serves 8 easily!
Drizzle on a little chocolate ice cream topping if you want to.... tastes like a "Reece's".  NOT for those sensitive to peanuts!

Enjoy;
Doug

Okay, it is official!  Too much Chordie can be hazardous to your health.  I just weighed myself after reading about these cheesecakes and peanut butter pies and I gained a pound just by reading.  I guess I will have to give up reading all this deliciousness........NOT!  Just kidding about the weight thing.  I actually lost weight again this week.  Being on here keeps me from the bored eating that I sometimes do in the evening.  Thanks all, helping me to try to be a better guitar player and losing weight also.  Keep up the good work.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Doug... The recipe I put up was actually a totally different recipe than what I'm trying to do... BUT... your suggestions still help and will make a difference in how I make "mine" next time... I actually used 4 packages and 2 eggs and 2 yolks ... so I will try it with another egg and switch to powdered sugar.  My crust actually also has almonds and cinnamon in it.  The crust was so good, but there needs to be MORE OF IT!  LOL!  When I get MY recipe worked out the way I want it I'll be sure to share.  Could take a bit however... after all yours took 3 years!  ha ha ha!  Sooooo... um.... you're selling a recipe... are you a famous pastry chef we should know about?????  smile

Jeff!  Next time I make something that will travel well, I'll have to drop you a line and get your address.  Cheesecake won't do it I'm afraid... and I'm sure you can get some good buttermilk biscuits near you there in the south.  Maybe my Hazelnut Chocolate Biscotti will make it though!  Perhaps I'll put that on the list to bake next week.  Yummmmm

Mekidsmom,

I love that recipe. I will try when i have time soon i hope..

Doug Smith ! I have searched my files and nothing comes up for your email or recipe. I even searched my cookery organizer.
Thats a job and a half i tell you, theres so much  in there.
I do love the pecan Pie recipe. Thats another on my list to do. As for the peanut one !! I wont be making, i'd eat all of that one myself. Love peanut butter.

Nela !  lol Ya nutter !  Thanks so much for caring about my derrier lol In all my years i have never put on weight there. Everywhere else Yes!
This is a simple sauce for whatever you feel like putting it on. ! Its gorgeous with most food. lovely as a dipping sauce, for bread,
or baked spuds, fish, chicken or red meat. Im gonna link the link here, [saves me typing ]
Mojo Chicken and sauce.
http://dinner-recipes.suite101.com/arti … jo_chicken
Green Mojo.
http://www.theworldwidegourmet.com/reci … uce-green/

I discovered this in the Canary islands many years ago. Ive been making it since then. So easy  to make and beautiful to eat.

Have any of you used "Italian 00 flour " it is one of the lightest and best to use.. In Italy you get the thinnest lightest crust on Pizza because they use this flour. Pizza in Italy and a glass of red wine ! Id leave home for. Bellissimo.
Its pliable and so easy to work with.
Now all i need is {un grande figo- a real hunk] to share it with lol
In your dreams Old Doll.

Get back to that kitchen !

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Old Doll... that Mojo Sauce looks like something I'd best stay away from trying to make.  I'm positive that I'm clumsy enough in the kitchen to promise a grease fire pouring liquids into the hot oil!  I'll bet it's delish however!  smile

I've never used "Italian 00 flour" ... light hmmm?  I'm using "bread flour" (high gluten content) for my yeast doughs now and it's ability to make airy breads and especially delicious pizza dough is amazing.  I wonder if it's anything like "cake flour" which is very finely ground for the lightest fluffiest airy cakes?  I do think that sounds as though it would make for a very thin crunchy pizza crust.  Speaking of "pizza", we made calzones this week.  To say my eyes were bigger than my belly is an understatement.  It was fun; we all stuffed our own with ingredients of our choosing.  The family all together in the kitchen was a fun and very messy time!  smile  Last night was a "Cheeseburger Casserole"... sort of a homemade mac n cheese but with egg noodles and burger added.  I ate too much again.  sad

I think I've gained 5 pounds since the start of this thread!  I might need to slow down a little with the baking!  Ha!  By the way, I did add more flour in the chicken wing soup recipe to thicken it more, I also added more hot sauce and a bit more parsley and basil.  Otherwise I think the recipe is pretty good as is.  Of course, all of those additions will be easy for any decent cook to figure out!  I hope everyone enjoys as much as we did (it disappeared too fast, I will have to double it up next time for sure)!

66 (edited by Richard_Johnson 2013-02-11 06:24:01)

It's really nice discussion about chicken and buttermilk and also really nice above comments, guys, i also really like chicken with buttermilk, but specially, like spicy chicken with buttermilk because, it's yummy and tasty and i really like yummy and tasty foods...
Shuck Restaurant

20  Tedder  Ave  Main Beach QLD 4217 Australia

Phone: +61 7 5528 4286

shuck.com.au

Located on the Gold Coast at Main Beach on the famous “Tedder Avenue”, Shuck Restaurant & Shuck Bar is the perfect corner position for people watching, whilst enjoying a cocktail or some of our wonderful food.

[url=http://shuck.com.au/]gold coast dining[/url]

Any of y'all ever eat chicken n dumplin's ?
My wife, of the Dixie persuasion, makes it for me every few weeks in the winter. Southern comfort food!

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

Absolutely Randy!  The kids don't like the dumplings as much as the biscuits though.

She makes black-eyed peas, butter beans, cornbread, sausage gravy and biscuits, jambalaya and lots and lots of other good stuff. Southern cooking is a lot like French- Canadian cooking. Lots of ham hocks and pork fat. When I met her, 15 years ago, I was a trim 185 lbs with a full six pack. Today I have the whole KEG!

Randy

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

70 (edited by dino48 2013-02-02 02:46:03)

This all sounds so good!!,but you are really driving us bachlors nuts!,send me some of those homemade goodies I am getting tired of my cooking.Topdown if you get some please send me some.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman