Topic: Electric guitar amp for cheap

Hey dudes.  Long time, no post.  I need an electric guitar amp and only have $300 to spend.  Playing with our church's praise team; mostly rythm and a little lead now and then.  Have OD and distortion pedals.  Currently playing my Hamer SATFP90 through my Marshall AS50R acoustic amp and it delivers plenty of power for what I do.  Get a pretty good clean sound but now I'm ready for an electric amp to get the most goody out of the Hamer.  Suggestions please............

Thanks in advance,
David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Re: Electric guitar amp for cheap

Hmmmm, thought I could get all kinds of comments here......oh, well

Hi Livebaitman,

This is the Market Place so you are only likely to get comment if someone has goods for sale that fit your description. If you are just looking for comment and suggestions on what amp is likely to fill your needs then you should post in the 'Guitars and Accessories' section and not here.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

I moved it here Russell smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Sorry if I posted in the wrong forum.  Don't understand the "Market Place" comment though.  I thought I posted in the Electric Guitar forum. 

Oh, well.  It all worker out.  I scored a sweet brand new all tube 40W Fender Hot Rod Deluxe on Craigslist for $450.  It's more than I wanted to pay but when I did my homework and realized it sells for $700 I couldn't pass on it.  It has way more power than I will ever need but I like the head room. 

I know there are some bad reviews out there as far as reliability but a lot of good ones too.  I have a friend who has had one for 8 years with no problems.  Mine is exactly what I was looking for.  I play mostly clean.  It has beautiful clean sound and great reverb.  Haven't messed with the drive channels much but the clean takes pedals nicely.

I would be interested in hearing any comments/suggestions from anyone who has had any experience with this amp.  I am still pretty much a newbie in the world of electric.

Thanks, David

Livebaitman I had one for several years great amp lots of power and sound no problems with it its a Fender and I originally moved your post to the market place as I thought someone might have a amp for sale and give you a jingle its a new forum and the guidelines are still being laid out so the fault is mine this is where Roger suggested the topic should be so I moved it here good luck with the new amp smile

OK, I understand now.  Thanks.  Completely new to tubes though.  Any suggestions for do's and don'ts?

not really tube amps are reliable just need to be handled with the same care as instuments I like the "warm" sound of tube amps over solid state and the hot rod delux is one kick a** amp economics forced me to sell mine or I would still have it (rent) but I have some newer equipment now but I still miss the hot rod smile

This is one of those areas that outta generate lots of opinion...tube vs solid state, etc.  I agree with the others that a tube amp can give the ultimate sound but the technology is awful close with the solid state units. Also you mentioned playing in church. Does your church have a sound system that you can either line out into or mic your amp? My experience is with Peavey and Fender amps and really like both. Unfortunately the tube amps are expensive and maybe out of your budget requirements.  Peavey makes a series called Transtube that are more affordable and sound great. I have a Transtube Bandit 100w that really sounds good...those are around 250-300 dollars. Also have a Peavey Classic 30 Tube amp that I've used a lot in my church. Those run $500-600 dollars. Another amp (sorta seem silly till you try it) is a little Roland Micro-Cube that sounds absolute great! I've also used it in the church but needs to be microphoned into the PA to get the needed volume...

I guess the best answer I can give you is to take your guitar to a store and plug in and try out amps until you find one that suits your needs.

I think a Peavey Classic Tube Amp or a Fender Hot Rod Delux along with a Roland Micro-Cube would do it all for most of us!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Gigged the HR Deluxw last night for the first time.  It's definitely a keeper.  Going through the PA or micing not necessary at all; plenty of volume with plenty of head room to spare.  Clean with a little reverb is unreal.  Didn't use the drive channels at all.  Used a distortion and OD pedal with the clean for a couple of songs with excellent results.   Unbelievable how powerful 40 watts of Fender tube power is.

Fender tubes are delicious.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I own a Hotrod Deluxe also and it is so cool. I also use it with my Yairi WYSB-1 acoustic at times and set where it just starts breaking up it will almost make you wet your pants smile

Later, Wayne P

I'm gonna try my Tak A/E with it soon.  Hope I don't wet my pants.

wlbaye - did you use ch 1 or ch 2?  Seem like I read that ch 2 uses less gain.

I have pretty much just used channel 1,

No you won't wet your pants but you may lose control and go into a 20 minute solo that includes some nasty guitar faces and some uncontrolled spastic like spasms smile

Later, Wayne P

Sounds like fun but if I could play a 20 minute solo that would probably happen to me without an amp.