Topic: Gibson Les Paul, KNOB replacement

What's the secret to removing the control knobs from this wonderful instrument ??They seem to be the push off and on type but wont budge, I had this same problem with another les Paul and just left the old ones on ???Thanks anyone, " FiveO "

Re: Gibson Les Paul, KNOB replacement

Three ways to get them off:

#1, Stewart & Mc Donald sells a special designed knob puller that as you put the slotted fork type bracket on the bottom of the knob the top has like a bolt that pushes up the knob of the knural of the shaft of the pot.

#2, Put the end of your tee shirt around the bottom of the knob and twist the tee shirt end until you can' t twist any more. Than proceed to pull up the tee shirt end until the knob comes off the pot shaft. (it's hard alot of times they don't come off easy).

#3, And I don't recommend this if you are not going to replace the knobs. Get a piece of flat plastic( like an old pick guard or a piece of a waste basket) place on the guitar. With a flathead screw driver pry up the knob until it losens and take off the knob. If you do not have a thick enough piece of plastic you will put a dent on your Paul's top. Also the bottom of the knobs get chewed.

Good luck.

Bootlegger.
Bootlegger guitars.

Thanks , I appreciate it , I am replacing them so am not concerned about the old knobs, just didn't want to damage the pot shaft, by the way does Gibson glue them on, can't understand why they are on so tight....I'm used to replacing Fender Tele knobs, spoiled I guess...anyway , Thanks again...FiveO

FiveO wrote:

Thanks , I appreciate it , I am replacing them so am not concerned about the old knobs, just didn't want to damage the pot shaft, by the way does Gibson glue them on, can't understand why they are on so tight....I'm used to replacing Fender Tele knobs, spoiled I guess...anyway , Thanks again...FiveO

No the knobs for a gibson usually are what are called high hats (because they look like a high hat cymbal) and the straight one's are called speed knobs because you can wrap your pinky finger around them and turn them fast. They have a smaller hole than the fender high hat knobs so when pressed on they are tighter (like a gorillia put them on).

Bootlegger.