Topic: Chords G, C, D songs

After many months of practice I feel very comfortable playing songs with chords G, C and D.  I play mostly country and church songs. I can make my chord changes pretty fast, clean and without looking at my fingers.  My question is how can I find more songs that use only these 3 chords.  I know I should be learning and practicing with different chords and I will, but I would first like to get really good with say a dozen songs that use these 3 chords.  In the song section of the forum is there a way to search for songs that only have these 3 chords in them?  Anyone have suggestions on country or church songs with just these 3 chords?

Thanks,
Tony

tonyespo / 63 year old NEWBEE

I better learn to play fast, I'm already an old fart.

Re: Chords G, C, D songs

You can change the key by useing a capo. Some one had posted a sheet here a while ago. You can also go to Ultimate Guitar and they have a transpose function at their site.

Why not look in the Public Songbooks under Absolute Beginners? You should find plent of 3 chorders there and you can transpose them if need be to G.

Also look to the songs with 4 chords in to give yourself a new chord to learn as a way of increasing your chord knowledge.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

This is known as the I IV V chord pattern. Here's a little something on background...

http://musiced.about.com/od/beginnersth … merals.htm

Basically the 3 chords taken from the I IV V are the principal chords of the song. Many many, some would say nearly all, country and gospel songs use I IV V. The good thing is that it applies to any key. If you look at the table from the link you'll see that G, C, D is the I IV V pattern in the key of G (you probably knew that already). So if you come across a song with the chord patter A ,D, E or C, F, G or D, G, A -  these are all I IV V patterns and using your capo you can change the key so that the chord shapes you are playing are G, C, D.

So if the song is in D (D, G, A) and you put your capo on the 5th fret and play chord shapes G, C, D you are still playing in D. Or you can simply just change the key to G and play it open.

I hope I have explained this clearly enough. If not please let me know.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

tonyespo, i did a little search on some of my music and found a lot of old country songs that have those chords and if you can introduce yourself to two more chords, Em and A7, you will greatly expnad your music playing abilities.  They are both simple two finger chords.  Give it a try.  Good luck to you.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I remember years ago when I was teaching myself (well... re-learning actually after taking lessons as a kid) I used to buy books that were a "made easy for guitar" series. So they had different artists or genres and they were presented with super tab in a really easy to play format. There are many 3 chord songs in those I'm sure... I'm just not sure if they still make those books - geez, I'm feeling old now!

Anyway - the only other thing I would very strongly recommend is that if you can play those three chords fairly easily (and it sounds like you can) you should definitely start to expand your base a bit.
Start with an Am, which is just one finger movement from the C. Then, if you can do that then move all three fingers all up one string and viola - you have an E! and if you can do that, then the Em is right there... soon you'll see that you can quickly expand your G,C,D knowledge into 8 or 10 chords pretty easily. As you do this your level of enjoyment will bloom along with your ability to take on more and more tunes!

Good luck with it - keep playing (that's the biggest thing you can do for yourself).

tony, you can play any song with the G, C and D chords - as long as thats the key you (or whoever) is singing in. You have to play to the person(s) who is doing the singing in order to be in the proper key. If you know G, C and D chords there are thousands of songs to play. Now capo 2nd fret and play G. C and D chords - you are now playing in the key of "A" (A, D and E). Capo 3rd fret and play your G, C and D chords - you are playing in the key of Bb . Capo 5th fret and play the G, C and D chords - now you are playing in the key of "C".  So now you can play songs in the key of G, key of "A", Key of Bb and the key of "C" - and you only know 3 chords. Knowing those 3 chords has now went from thousands of songs ot an unlimited number just by adding a capo.

Nela

Glad to hear of your progress Tony. Makes you feel good huh? I agree with Tak. Look for songs that include a fourth chord along with your G C D. It should be very easy for you to add one new chord in with the 3 you already know. Em G C D are in lots of songs. Sounds like you're at the point where you can move on.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you everyone.  I went to the song books on Chordie and I found other songs that have G,C,D and also as suggested other not too difficult chords.  What I am trying to avoid while learning is songs that have fast chord changes.  I have a Capo but I have never used it.  I'm going to have to read up on how to use a Capo, and try it to see if that will work for me also.  If it wasn't for Chordie I most likely would had quit long ago.  This is a great forum with great people.  Thanks again to everyone.

Tony, I've been wondering how you were doing with your playing.  I'm glad to hear you're still trucking along!  Don't forget about justinguitar.com for lots of free lessons to get those other chord shapes down well.  I would say look into A, E, Em, and Am as some good ones to work on.  Here's a few in my book,
- If you put the Capo on the 4th fret, and learn the SUPER SIMPLE Em, you can do "I'm Yours" by Jason Mraz (G, D, Em, C).
- If you want to try "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty, it's just C, G, D ... but those are super fast changes (good practice!). 
- "Blowing in the wind" adds a Dsus to your G, C, D ... just set your pinky down to make the sus chord and then lift it back up to go back to the D... it's really easy to do, try it, I think you'll like it!!
- Capo on 2nd fret and you can do "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat (G, D, C, G pretty much the whole thing)

I know these are not country or church music, but they're fairly well known songs you might want to try smile  Good luck!  Oh, and here's a link to a "cheat sheet" for using that capo!  http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=15164

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

11 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-07-25 17:36:56)

A wonderful video:
http://vimeo.com/2534639
This is a four chord song titled "Stand By Me'.
Around here we call the chord progression ( C,AM, F and G) the "Blue Moon" turnaround [From the song "Blue Moon" (You saw me standing alone). The progression may be easier in Mekidsmom's suggested (G, Em, C and D).
This video has American street musicians playing "Stand By Me" in the key of C. He records this and then travels to many other nations, slipping a headset of the first recordings on a local musician and having him or her or them, play and sing along to what's recorded. He then records the total of all that and is on to the next country and local picker(s).
There are many songs written using this progression making it great for any jam session.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

12 (edited by zguitar 2010-07-26 01:00:43)

That's the first song I learned to play toots.  Very simple slow tempo song. Check that one out for sure Tony. And it's a classic so you can't go wrong. There are lots of video lessons on it too.

Grandpa Elliot was awesome!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

MeKidsmom, I haven't given up playing and don't intend to.  I did take some time away from the 6 string to play around with a 4 string Cigar Box Guitar.... Big mistake, it is so totally different.  It's fun to look at and play around with, but it requires a whole new set of skills that I don't want to tackle at this time.  I started using the Capo today.  I learned you don't just clamp it on and expect to hear great sounds.  I have really learned to respect the people who play guitar so well.  Practice, Practice, Practice....  Ohh, the bone bridge still sounds great.  Did you get one yet?

Excellent video there, toots.  Got goose bumps at one point.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

The Mavericks - "Hell to paradise" and "what a crying shame"
Ronan Keating - "When you say nothing at all"

Those 3 songs are played using G, C And D chords

tonyespo wrote:

MeKidsmom, I haven't given up playing and don't intend to.  I did take some time away from the 6 string to play around with a 4 string Cigar Box Guitar.... Big mistake, it is so totally different.  It's fun to look at and play around with, but it requires a whole new set of skills that I don't want to tackle at this time.  I started using the Capo today.  I learned you don't just clamp it on and expect to hear great sounds.  I have really learned to respect the people who play guitar so well.  Practice, Practice, Practice....  Ohh, the bone bridge still sounds great.  Did you get one yet?

I am happy to hear that Tony!  I was a little concerned with that Cigar Box Guitar... I get the impression that they are two completely different animals (so to speak).  Good to hear you're trying out that capo too!  When you wrap your head around the theory just a little and use that conversion chart, it'll open up a whole new world with just those couple of chords you already know well. 

No, I didn't get a bone bridge yet.  I just changed my strings on my steel string for the first time, and at first I was happy with the sound.  Now, not so much.  So, I am working on finding some strings that I really like over the course of the next few months.  I am thinking maybe once summer is over I'll look into that again.  wink (guitar playing and wedding anniversary time you know)

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

What a great,great video from tubatooter, loved it.

I'm a beginner too and I've been practicing Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window".  Most of the song is G,C, and D chords.

Alot of Buddy Holly songs are GCD and 80% of bluegrass can be played in G

Toots, thanks, incredible feeling in this clip.
Pete, like you i got goosebumps.
Cheers
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

NELA,

How do you make those conversions? Although I am making progres with G,C,D I started out with A,D,E. I would like to know the capo conversions for these 3 chords. Any help would be appreciated...

Scott aka caromshot

Hi caron when you go into the forum section here under acoustic you'll see several posts in green; mekidsmon posted a capo conversion chart that you can download and print out. Lots of luck

I looked through my book and found that most GCD songs I have also have Em or A in them. Neither are hard chords to learn and would open up many songs for you. Here are some I play with just GCD.

Alan Jackson Drive
Heres a quarter Travis Tritt
Chicken Fried Zac Brown
Neon Moon Brooks and Dunn
Down Home Alabama
Song of the South Alabama

If you like Hank Jr or Skynyrd I can give you some more.

Eagles song -  Already gone  G D C through the whole song!

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, But how to dance in the rain... smile

junas wrote:

I'm a beginner too and I've been practicing Melissa Etheridge's "Come to my Window".  Most of the song is G,C, and D chords.

I've been working on this one lately also.  You're right;  most of it is G-C-D, but there are A minors and E minors in there as well.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.