The word "inferno", and similar words, have several meanings. It came via Italian from Latin ''infernus'', which means "being underneath".
* Inferno, an alternate word for Hell, a place or a state of painful suffering according to many religious beliefs
* Inferno, is an alternate word for a large Fire
* Inferno (broomball), the name of an American broomball team
* Inferno (operating system), an operating system for creating and supporting distributed services
* Inferno, a brand of Brunswick bowling balls
* ''Infernus'', a Swedish submersible RIB boat (see subskimmer)
* ''Inferno'', the first volume of Dante Alighieri's ''The Divine Comedy''
* Inferno (DC Comics), a member of the Legion of Super-Heroes published by DC Comics
* ''Inferno'' (Doctor Who), a serial in the British science fiction television series ''Doctor Who''
*Inferno (Exemplar), a supervillain in Marvel Comics.
* ''Inferno'' (Marvel Comics), a crossover in which the X-Men battled demons led by Jean Grey's clone Madelyne Pryor
* ''Inferno'' (novel), a 1976 science fiction novel written by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle