"The Mahones" are a Canadian Celtic punk band, whose blend of Celtic folk with alternative rock was a popular draw on the Canadian live music circuit in the 1990s.
The band was formed in Kingston, Ontario in 1990 by Finny McConnell and Barry Williams, as a one-off band for a St. Patrick's Day party. The name was chosen to rhyme with The Ramones; the band's cited influences included The Clash, The Pogues, The Who, The Waterboys and Hüsker Dü. The group's lineup has changed a number of times, with McConnell and Williams as the main constant members. Pogues members Terry Woods and Phil Chevron joined the band on tour in 2003.
In 1999, bassist Joe Chithalen died in Amsterdam shortly after a concert. He had accidentally ingested food containing peanuts, and did not previously know that he was allergic.
* ''Draggin' the Days'' (1994)
* ''Rise Again'' (1996)
* ''The Hellfire Club Sessions'' (1999)
* ''Here Comes Lucky'' (2001)
* ''Live at the Horseshoe'' (2003)
* ''Paint the Town Red'' (2003, compilation album)
* http://www.themahones.net/ The Mahones