Re: New acoustic guitar

While I agree with you as far as the set up goes and there are reputable music stores out in the world that will do a set up for you.(although they will charge you for it)  The point I want to make is that there are less experienced persons who read this thread than you and or I.

My comments were made for information and education not to mock or tear you down. Both you and I have learned from our mistakes. Alvee33's orignal thread was asking if a new acoustic needed an action set up or not. On other post in this thread he mentioned that the bridge was cracked and sloppy, hence forth the repair comments.

Your advise to the new to find a guitar that just needs tuning if they just want to play is very sound. No rocks thrown just clarification.

Bootleger

Bootlegger guitars.

Re: New acoustic guitar

Hey again.

Just so you - and everyone reading knows, no offence was taken at all. I hope that the end result of this discussion is that people in the market for a new guitar will have some good things to think about before putting their cash on the counter.

By the way, I'd like to add that I've had some very expensive guitars and some pretty inexpensive ones too. The only one I've kept through it all is an Ibanez PF-10 that I bought about 20 years ago brand new for about $250 Canadian. It was all set up and ready to play right off the shelf and it has never required any tinkering or adjustments. The action and intonation is as good now as it was 20 years ago and it has been through the party, pub gigs, and travelling around scene. If anything it sounds better with age. Maybe I'm a tad sentimental about it, but the reality is that when I think about the couple hundred I could get for it today it's worth so much more to me than that. My most recent buy was the Takamine (thus my user name). I bought it through an ebay dealer who set it up before shipping and included the 9v battery for the on board electronics - all included in the price which, after shipping was still about $25.00 cheaper than the 3 different shops I checked. There is of course some risk when buying from ebay - caveat emptor - but I am very happy with this guitar for the money.

Come to think of it, we're probably making the new buyer's decision even tougher - ther is a lot to consider. In the end just be happy and make music.