Re: Baseball Opening Day

selso wrote:
crowellb wrote:
selso wrote:

I second that

I don't know if I agree. I think you can call records from other eras into question as well. Was Babe Ruth really playing against the best of the best as he didn't play in a fully integrated league? Many of the pitching records were set when the mound was 6 inches higher (Bob Gibson's dominance forced MLB to lower it). Baseball has evolved over the years so it's not fair to compare stats and players across eras, and therefore, not fair to single out something different about the era and declare that they can't be in the HOF as a result.

I honestly feel hypocritical (and MLB should too) screaming about steroids in baseball because steroids put baseball back on the map. I turned my back on baseball after 94 like a number of other fans did. What brought me back? McGwire and Sosa...everyone knew they were juicin'...and no one cared because we all wanted a reason to watch baseball again. The casual fan loves the long ball (I dig the fundamentals and "small ball" because I grew up watching the Twins...and that's all they've ever played), so MLB, owners, and players looked the other way when it came to steroid use because: more HRs=more fans=more ticket/merchandise sales=more profit to team owners and higher salaries for the players. Basically, MLB and players put a product out there that we wanted...how can we be so irrate about steroid use now?

Don't get me wrong, I wish roids had never become a part of the game so players like Griffey, who most people believe did it the "right" way, could have been highlighted even more. We will never be able to separate users from non-users so I don't think steroids should be a factor in HOF voting. Now, with better testing procedures etc, we can be more confident that users will be caught (except HGH users) and then we could start keeping roid users out.

I agree with you to a point. Babe Ruth wasnt playing with the best because of racisim, thats a little different from whats happening today. I understand that the game has evolved, But changing the way its played is alot different then a bunch of guys"juiced" up. If they do it right and fair then no problem, But if they have to use a preformance  inhancer, then weres the sport in it? I also think the use of steroids has put a dark spot over what was a great game. All players are in question now, because of a few who couldnt do it on there own. What are we teaching our kids? If you cant do it, then cheat?
When I was a kid I so looked up to guys like Ken Griffey JR, Nolan Ryan, Orel Hershiser, Now I have to watch soccer! I love the sport and all ways will. GO CUBS!!!!

I hate the fact that steroids and other performance enhancing drugs have become a part of the game just as much as anyone else. I just don't think that if a player who played BEFORE MLB started more stringent testing (or even banned performance enhancers in the first place) should be kept out of the HOF if he is suspected of or admits to using performance enhancing drugs. Quite frankly, MLB turned a blind eye to steroid use in the 80's and 90's. Once a few players started juicin', other players started juicin' to be on a level playing field and to make sure that teams would want their services. Once a few started juicin', we started seeing roided out players with watermelon heads everywhere! Then Bud Selig gets pulled in front of Congress and acts surprised and upset that so many players were juicin'. Yes, using steroids is cheating, but I don't think the players should be penalized for a problem that MLB created in the first place.

Now, I think anyone caught juicin' NOW that MLB has banned performance enhancing drugs should be banned from baseball for life...no warnings...no exceptions...no HOF. If Pete Rose is banned for life for qambling (which was illegal for players and managers when Rose got caught), steroid users should be banned as well. It just goes to show that Bud Selig and MLB still don't care that much about roids...they consider gambling (a disease) to be worse than steroids. Put Charlie Hustle in the HOF!

LesPaulGuy, yes, baseball needs a salary cap!

"Do or do not, there is no try." Yoda

Re: Baseball Opening Day

Roids in any sport are not acceptable and should be banned along with the player.Building body mass to power a ball out of the park is so obvious to all fans that only the commissioner can be  blamed for this embarrassment to the game by letting it get out of hand.
In Babes days drinking was a big part of the game. Did that effect his swing? He did strike out a lot.

Griff Jr is home now and I wish him the best.
Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)