Re: Guitar purchases: gaining spousal approval

I prep the battlefield almost daily so I'm as prepared as I can be for the next purchase. Currently I'm poised to purchase as soon as I find the ONE...for now. I really want a Jumbo but I picked up a Guild Dreadnaught the other day and WOW. I didn't think to check the model number surprisingly as I'm usually a stickler for details such as that but I will go back to look.

What is it about guitars and the accompanying unassailable desire to purchase "just one more"? Does anyone else ever just pick up their guitars and look at them? The construction, finish, and sound are the closest thing to art appreciation I've ever experienced.

One marriage rule I've always lived by

Better to beg forgiveness than ask permission!

A musician must make music, an artist must paint, a poet must write, if he is to be ultimately at peace with himself. What one can be, one must be.
Abraham Maslow

Tell her it is an investment.

I'll bet a lot of Americans in mutual funds wished they had put that money into Martins, Fenders and Gibsons.

Never mind the artisan guitars.

They keep their value ro increase with good care.

Sue

Best advice I every got was to keep it fair. My wife really likes books and movies so I just try to not spend (too much) more than what she has spent on her stuff since my last purchase. Actually I think I may be running behind....

"Every shortcut is a toll road"

Topdown that was hilarious. I read your entry aloud to my wife for the past two nights and she laughed both times! "Now go make me a sammich!"  That's awesome!

Now available in 5G !

^ Glad you enjoyed it tandm3. I get the same reaction from my wife, she just laughs at me too big_smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Hi All ,
    You guys have no idea , L O L ...
    I have nine guitars in my little collection , and just lately I've been looking at the Guild F-47 R ........ It's 2250.00 , But if it stands up to what I've experienced with my other Guilds , it would be worth the price .... Will let you know , L O L ...........
                                  Jerry

" Just reading the lyrics , it's hard to hear the song , but if the words tug at the heartstrings......it's enough for now........... "

I suppose im lucky i dont have to ask anyones permission or approval.
If i did, id be looking to see was there anything important being left short changed for the family or household.
If not and you can afford it ! then whats the problem

Sure one day recently i spent the equivelent of 350 dollars at a spa! Womens products are expensive. Especially when your 19 lol
So i do feel women must be fair about these things.

Im  also still looking for a smaller guitar to suit me. I was given the gift of a yamaha semi , But dont like the sound at all.
Thats next i feel for the thrift shop. Its only gathering dust at the moment. My brother played it yesterday for the first time in Yonks. I still didnt like the sound. Im sure someone will though.

Now thats a waste of guitar and Music..

PS Southpaw any word from your friend and the Taylor ?.

Old doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

geoaguiar wrote:

I always say something along the lines of: "well, I could be spending this money at a bar; guitars keep me home and relatively healthy". I must admit, while I have 12 or so guitars my approach is not 100% effective especially on the more expensive models

I'll have to remember that approach!  <grin>

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

When ever I think I will have difficulities on the homefront in purchasing something I really want I find lyin' works pretty good. Just remember a few phrases and they may work for you;

Look what I found on the side of the road on my way home.

I was driving behind this truck and it just fell off.

Look what I just won.

My buddy from work had an emergency and needed $50.00 so he pawned me his_____________.

Hey, look at what ole Joe just give me.

My boss is wanting me to keep this for a while so his wife won't find out about it. Can you imagine that?

Nela

I think I've used most of those at one time or another.  I did't know they were lies.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Bensonp. How is the weather out there? Used to hunt in the Cedar City area up around Kolb resovior. Still got some kin out there.

Nela

it's great here now.  72 degrees.  Friday it's supposed to be down inthe 50's. i'm only 40 miles from Cedar.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.