Re: Is it to late to start playing guitar, after 30? please serious answers:-)

It all comes down to are you willing to devote the time to practice. cause as ringo once said you got to pay your dues if you want to sing the blues and you know it don't come easy

what a long strange trip it's been

Its NEVER to late to learn guitar..or any instrument.
Like most of the other older learners, I love playing my guitar (im 51) and I taught myself.   It has been a big stress relief for me.
  I'm an ex-police officer and found it a great relief for stress.
No... i'll never be Chet or Roy, or Stevie Ray, But i just want to satisfy myself. I've had a guitar in the corner since i was 12 and never could play a whole song, until about 14 or 15 years ago. I went a bought a brand new flattop for inspiration, and now own about 4 guitars, and can play about any country or gospel song i want to.
I am very glad i gave it a try, and have bought a guitar for my daughter and son-in-law each, and now he's trying to learn the Banjo also. My wife has picked up the bass guitar, and we now enjoy playing together.
              ..........B.

Get a guitar that is not too hard on the Fingers so that you don't get discusted. Spend a few Dollars extra if necessary. Electric is usually easier on the fingers Acoustic is more convenient, but more expensive to get one that is easy on the fingers. Get an electric tuner so that you can always be in tune and hear the right sounds. Try a teaching program for the computer. I have taught several persons over 30 to play, and they all did great. Play Often, Play loud, try and learn something new every day, but most of all enjoy yourself. Don't give up, each day gets easier. Once you get the callouses on your finger tips the rest becomes easier.

its never 2 late to start any instrument

dont light yourself on fire... it kinda hurts.

any time can be a good time to learn guitar. It is easy to pick up but takes quite a while to get as good as the hotshots Jimmy Page, Angus young, etc.

only dead fish go with the flow cool Rockin Gecko

I am 70 years old, and I am very thankful that my fingers are still very nimble for my age. My guitar was kept in the closet for 20 years or so, then when I got my computer, I started looking for beautiful classic country midi files to listen too. I am a flat picker. I found several sites with great midi guitar files.....one of them is Dick Anderson's country guitar files and another is Harry Todd's; the gitpicker's url. I have learned more in playing my guitar by listening, playing and singing along with their great guitar music, than I would have ever imagined. I practice a minimum of 3-4 hours every day, and not to brag, but I keep getting better and better. I never thought I would be playing such tunes as white Cliffs Of Dover, For The Good Times, By The Time I get To Phonix, etc. I get the chords from Chordie that the guitar music is in, and as the tune/song is playing, I play right along. I pretty well know the scales, and I find that I can play proficently by playing within the chords, moving from one chord to the other, just as the guitarists are doing. Lots and lots of daily practice and correct timing is the key to becoming an accomplished guitarit.

Well, I just registered today and I've already sent BBGus some encouragement for newbies like him. Hope to improve my playing skills thru tips from members and this site. Hello everybody!

im 46 and picked up a banjo for the first time in december(christmas eve) 06 since then ive bought (and play) 6 string martin accoustic and a fender bass,secret is to pick up and play everyday . i do 20-30 mins on each instrament  every evening,as well as lessons from my brother-in -law(pro musician) at weekends i play bodhran(irish drum)in a band here in ireland and have started to play accustic and banjo on one or two tunes. just keep playing and you will get there.

Never too late my friend. Just keep things nice and simple and practice, practice, practice! At the risk of contradicting some earlier postings, keep things simple. Sure an electric guitar is easy on the fingers, but with it comes tone settings, choice of pick up, amp settings, etc. Whilst I play both, I'd rather practice on an acoustic and avoid all the hassle of dragging out the amp and setting up. Just pick up an acoustic and go! Keep your strings clean so your fingers don't get too sore. A light wipe of WD40 works well on strings.
Pick some easy songs which you know well, three chords max for starters. King of the road or something like that! As well as getting your music on Chordie, look for people playing on you tube. Watch how they sit, how they hold the chord shapes, etc. Also, if you can find it, track down a recording of 'Talking Guitar Blues' by Lonnie Donnegan. Tells you all about learning to play! Good luck. Rob  robertgrundy@hotmail.co.uk

Incidentally, if you want to play the blues, you will need a blues name. These come in three parts. The first name is some sort of illness or affliction, the second name is usually some sort of food or fruit, and the third name is the surname of an american president. For instance: Blind Lemon Jefferson, or maybe Cripple Crawfish Nixon, that sort of thing. Alternatively, you could just keep your own name and shoot a man in Reno instead. This one doesn't always work though. Madonna will never sing the blues, no matter how many people she shoots in Reno. The rest of the blues deal is easy. You kick off with 'When the sun rose this mornin', didn't have my woman by my side' and then just sort of whinge whilst playing E and A and occasionaly B7.

I have yet to discovered my perfect blues name - flirted with 'Balding Jimbo Bush', but it just didn't seem to evoke the appropriate respect.  Tried out 'Potbelly J Polk' but that just didn't feel right.  Likewise 'Forgetful Jimmy Franklin' merely elicited puzzled stares.

Perhaps I'll need to consult with the voodoo woman living near the crossroads to find that perfect blues moniker.  Living in the birthplace of the blues, I feel obligated locate my blues name as soon as possible.

Here is a classic story from TheOnion that might just be the funniest thing I have ever read:
http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28803

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

James McCormick,

It is 11 oClock at Night. I Have just read the piece from the Union! I could not see the screen for the tears and laughter that piece evoked. That is the funniest article ive read in a long time.
Now Where did i leave my recipe for " Unrestricted Sweet Potatoe Pie. Well! If it works for that Old Doll Who Knows?
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

It's never too late. I'm 36 and just started about 6 months ago. Took some lessons and bought the House of Blues "Learn to Play Acoustic" DVD and it's great. Keep at it and don't get discouraged. I'm just getting to the point where I can play a few songs, but am getting better faster the more I practise. 15 minutes a day and you'll be playin' in no time!

Hi All,
This topic has given me inspiration too.  I am 48 and have been playing for the past year.  Always had a guitar lying around and never played it for over 25 years. (I always thought it looked good when people came to my place!)  Then about a year ago a friend brought me a guitar tuner and some picks. And the rest is history !  I couldn't believe how good it felt to get through a song with only minor mistakes.  I play every chance I get.  Love it.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Go for it, you will get a lot of satisfaction from playing the guitar.  I am 63 and have within the last few weeks decided to start playing again after a very very long absence. I am no brilliant guitarist but now I have retired; I find it's a great way to spend a little free time. 
There is no short cuts to learning and don't be put off learning to read music, it's a lot easier that you may think, and for me, easier than the tab method. Practice practice practice.
Good luck and enjoy.

No such thing as "TOO OLD"  I'm currently giving lessons to a "FATHER & SON" team. Father is 54, and Son is 11. Both in sessions at same time, identical lessons, and QUITE competitive. Father has the advantage of longer attention span. Just enjoy yourself!  Keep in mind that KEITH RICHARDS is still learning new tricks!! (I'm 53, been playing since 1967, and hoping to learn more every day)

Man, I WISH I started as young as 30.  Started Acoustic at 40, first electric at 45...first band at 45, playing with a 20, 21 and 30 year olds.  30 is young....40 is young....heck, I'm 46 and I'm still young!!
GO FOR IT!!!

i took the time to read all the posts and it reinforces my feeling that there are some very helpful choridians out there from all over and differen't age groupes ive come to the conclusion that you should follow there good advise pick up that guitar right now and start playing anthing that comes to mind theres chord charts on chordie they however dont tell you what finger to use on a given string but get a book and learn the basics take a few lessions and as many on this subject have advised practice! ive been playing 50 yrs and it still excites me i cant forsee that disipearing i play several instruments and each one was a challenge i gave up on violin my playing sounded like the neighbors cat in heat so get with it and dont be shy about asking for help your in good company on chordie all the best  acapo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Oh no, It's never too late!! I started last year at age 32 and it's been the best thing I've ever done! Don't tell my wife I said that...lol

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

No way. It some ways it's better. I picked it up in my 20's but never took it too seriously until my late 30's. Now I can't imagine life without it!!

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

It's never too late-go for it.  I've been playing on and off since 1957 and I am still only OK . I never took lessons but lately Chordie has been a great help and so has google video where you will find short lessons on the guitar.  I played my first gig with a couple of friends last year at 62 years old.  I was terrified but enjoyed it. 

GO FOR IT||||

There are a ton of people here that didn't start until well after their 30th.

Every day you wait is a day too late.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

HI PAL IVE JUST HIT 40 & BEEN TAKING MY KID TO GUITAR LESSONS FOR THE PAST 8 WEEKS & TWO WKS AGO I DECIDED I WANTED AGO I LOVE IT THE ONLY THING IS IVE PICKED IT UP ALOT QUICKER THAN THE KID  HAS LOL ... ITS THE BEST THING IVE DONE JUST WISH IVE DONE IT ALOT SOONER ...JACKO06

never too late for anything soooo.......

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
ur not too old!!!!!

you can love me
you can hate me
but NEVER forget me

im almost 42 , i just started playing last august (2007) . ive always loved music but never took the time to learn to play guitar. now i wish i wouldve started years ago. im still at that overwhelmed stage now. i am taking lessons,but honestly my instructor seems to be more interested in showing me how good he is instead of teaching basics. ive taught myself alot and i practice all the time, i wish i had someone to play with ive always heard thats how you improve rapidly. sorry for rambling on, but play!!!! never too late while youre still breathing.
paul