Re: GET BACK TO PLAYING!

I like that your man-cave has gold lame` floor length curtains.  Good looking triplets there.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
I've never noticed the curtains. Wow! the floor is elevated as if to simulate a stage. All I need is someone to perform.
David

Succumbed to GAS. But I have an excuse. (Don't we all.)
When I returned my Little Martin I had unfortunately indexed into the portion of the return policy where I could not get my money back but instead received a "store credit". In an effort to use this credit and clear things I up, I purchased a Martin DRS1 guitar. It is a reintroduction of this series and my particular guitar is the Sapele quasi 15 series. Martin uses the "cheaper" wood (not mahogany) and downgrades several other features from what the 15 series receive, adds the Stratabond (laminated) neck and Fishman Sonitone electronics and voila!

I had reached the conclusion a "real" 15 series was out of my reach so this epiphany seemed appropriate for me. I am excited and actually relieved I don't have to treat this guitar quite as delicately as 15 series. However, I am very careful with my guitars. And, since it has a pick-up, maybe this is one step closer to the praise team at church? Who knows.

I've been solo in the home this week as my family is out touring potential colleges for my daughter. Much guitar playing! I've eeked out what might be passable renditions of a couple of songs and actually wrote a song. Yes, you heard me correctly: music and lyrics. A very simple one but from the heart. And I find many of the songs I like are very simple. It's the execution that makes them great.

Just in case you are monitoring: I did sell a guitar yesterday and I have three more listed on Craig's List in an attempt to maintain a headcount of three.

I like those Martins.  I think they sound good compared to other guitars in the same price range and they are more durable.  I wouldn't mind one for camping and such - a little better than my river guitar but not as risky as taking my Guild out in the field.  I doubt Momma will go for it.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

55 (edited by naolslager 2011-02-24 15:10:46)

Zurf,
One person's beater is another's Stradivarius! My least expensive guitar cost me $80. And I suppose that is my "beater" due to its low price but I don't treat any of my guitars as such. I just can't do it.

But I did heed your advice to "Forget the RK". And Guilds are nice guitars but to get a relatively new mahogany top I would be looking at either a GAD-25 or GAD-M20. Both are high gloss and I prefer satin finishes for the pleasant tactile response and debatable lack of vibration-muffling gloss finish.

I realize the finish protects the wood but I do treat my guitars gently and I don't play in public (yet) so I never take them out into the elements, etc.

My river guitar was free because it was a gift.  It does just fine, frankly.  It's a Yamaha F-310, which I think is the lowest end steel-string Yamaha makes.  I put some decent strings on it  and replaced the bridge with Tusq and it sounds just fine for campfires and I don't mind if it gets hot (in the shade of course) or a few drops of dew on it. 

I got a great deal on my Guild (a D40 Bluegrass Jubilee).  It was in a guitar shop that is mostly folk and rock players who didn't like the thin Classical-like neck depth, the slight increase in neck width to accomodate speedy fingerpicking, or the strong low-end.  All are things I wanted.  Anyway, it had been around the shop for a while.  So I got it new for enough lower in cost from even on-line sources that I could have bought a Martin D1 TOO and still had a lower cost overall.  Deals like that don't come around too often and so the Guild stays in my humidified and temperature controlled office. 

But that Martin D1 sure caught my attention, and with the composite neck and body, it would withstand camping temperature and humidity changes nicely.   I'd have to sell some guitars to start getting those and I have a rule for myself about selling musical instruments.  I don't sell them, but I'll give them away.  So I'll need to save some pennies for sure. 

I'm thinking some exceptions may be in order.  I haven't played my electric guitar in ages, and I've got a really nice bass that would fetch some decent money and I could get a good AE bass to replace and have a lot more flexibility with playing.  So, hmmmmmm.  Maybe I need to take some GAS lessons from the master...

But it's Spring and BAS has kicked in.  That's Boat Acquisition Syndrome.  Inflatable kayaks are weighing heavily on my mind and my VISA cards are hiding from me. 

- Zurf

Zurf,
I often consider giving guitars away. I suppose what stops me is I feel the desire to play has to come from within. And if I give someone something, they may or not truly want, or only half-heartedly want, it may end up collecting dust somewhere. But I suppose you can't win them all. I DO like the idea of putting music in the hands of people so that they have additional joy in their life.

One of my daughter's friends participates in church mission trips each year. i KNOW she plays and participates in a youth praise team. I've considered asking her if she takes a guitar with her when she travels. If not, and if she would like to, maybe I can find her a "gift" on Craig's List? The Yamaha FG-Junior I sold yesterday would have been an excellent candidate.

How do you locate and decide who to give them to?
David

I've given two away to grandchildren recently and they both were excited for awhile.  Then they gather dust.  I'm with you naolslager, the next time I give one to someone, I will proabaly make sure they have taken an interest for awhile before I give them one.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I don't worry about what happens to it after I give it away.  If someone asks, and it's something to spare, and I think they're going to use it, I give it to them.  I've given away three guitars so far.  None of them too special.  If it gets used, great.  If not, then I take satisfaction knowing that I at least gave someone the chance at music.  One of the guitars was given back to me by the person after she gave up trying.  I thought that was considerate, but un-necessary.  Gift means gift.  Once it's gone, it's not mine to worry about any longer. 

- Zurf

Well NOW you've done it Naoslager.  I caught acquisition syndrome from you (yes, I am being a sissy and blaming you instead of manning up to my own decisions).  Except mine was boat acquisition syndrome.  I've got two kayaks in Tennessee I've got to go get. It's only a nine hour drive one way.  But it's for a good cause.  Really.  In a sort of roundabout way. 

- Zurf

I'm buying them from a guitar player.  I think that counts.

Zurf,
We all Knew it was contagious!

One of my recent guitar purchases (I did not plan to keep it.) is growing on me. My inventory is at four with one on the way. But I am keeping to the to the title of this thread as I am playing alot more than usual. And LOVING every minute of it.
David

GAS attack! My latest required me to order the instrument and then wait. (Hardly the makings of a creditable impulse buy.) This wait has been terrible and I am bordering on insanity as I try to reconcile new guitar excitement with buyer's remorse. At this point I don't believe I can close the deal and part of me hopes they never call to tell me it has arrived. However they are keepers of my store credit and I will have to face the music, some music at some point.

Why do I do this? Is there a pill I can take to ward off strong tendency to trade paper for wood (and steel)? What is it with these forestry products anyway?

Maybe we should trade a kayak for a guitar.

There's nothing you can do about it.  I have a new Martin coming tomorrow.  I have saved for over a year and ordered it the other day.  Now I wait.  I keep checking UPS tracking every hour.  That's disheartening.  It is supposed to arrive tomorrow some time.  My nerves are on edge.  I can't sleep.  I will share more when I get it.  With pics.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Forget the pics.  I want sound.

Awesome Pete! Happy premature NGD! I am excited for you.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Pete! I am excited for you. I know the feeling, I'm sure we all do. Please whet our appetites with at least the model number.

Oh, sorry.  HD-28 Sunburst.

Cool pete,you beat me too getting a martin,I had to buy a new tv,so I have to wait longer but I will own a martin one of these days,have agood time with it and post some pics.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bensonp wrote:

Oh, sorry.  HD-28 Sunburst.

Congrats Pete, I've been following your struggle in the decision making department. I believe you have made the right choice.

Holy,

I am excited for you too, Pete 

I don't think you will regret getting a Sunburst , I have three Sunburst guitars and I get a kick out of just looking at the beauty of them.

Please post some pics after you are done petting , huggin and strummin it smile

Later, Wayne P

The sunbursts are great.  I have one sunburst, a Fender acoustic now, but after my first Martin, the Fender doesn't get played much.  I rattled my brain between a J45 and the HD-28.  I jus like Martins a little better.

There just isn't a wrong decision between those two guitars.  I'm glad you're getting something you've been wanting for a long time.

75 (edited by naolslager 2011-03-14 17:16:45)

As the readers of this thread know, a few weeks ago I ordered a Martin DRS1 (mahogany body guitar) to replace my Art & Lutherie “Wild Cherry" all-laminate dreadnought guitar. As you also know I was (am) struggling with this purchase for many reasons. I summoned the courage this week to visit the store to see if the guitar was here. (They never called me to tell me it was in?) It was in and I will spare you the unique and exciting details of the out-of-the-box (and case) experience but I would like to continue my buyer’s saga.

Here are my notes from the experience:

The DRS1 was beautiful and smelled wonderful. It is a nice guitar but it was obvious EVERY conceivable corner was cut to reduce the cost of this guitar. The cost-cutting was well-executed but the guitar is still $700, still a Martin, and still NOT made in the U.S.A. Whether I purchase this guitar or not these facts will always have a bearing on my experiences with the guitar.

I was able to A/B this guitar for about an hour with a Martin D-15M, which retails for about $1100. (I know all the differences between the two and very possibly the philosophy why but I will spare you this discussion.) The D-15M was much lighter – largely due to the solid wood neck as opposed to the Stratabond (laminated) neck on the DRS1.

The D-15M was sonically indistinguishable from the DRS1. My opinion of course and I can say this here at Chordie (but probably not over at the UMGF). This reaffirms what does and does not affect the sound of a guitar. Once you get past appearance – a superficial but unavoidable (for me) characteristic – these guitars were sonically identical. Keep in mind I am a novice player and sound is in the ears of the beholder.

Mahogany versus sapele? The two guitar bodies looked nearly identical. No so-called tell-tale sapele striping on the DRS1. Finished with care I would wager that most could not tell the difference by sight or sound. (These opinions will in no way end the mahogany versus sapele debate.) But in my mind it is merely a preference of wood and a cost premium for the relative scarcity of the same.

The D-15M was slightly “easier"  to play due almost exclusively to the differences in the set-ups. The DRS1 could be set up in a similar fashion eliminating this difference.

The DRS1 is equipped with unobtrusive (elegant?) Sonitone electronic pick-up, e.g. soundhole controls. This is the ONLY way I would add electronics to an acoustic guitar. With the exception of the Seagull (and possibly the Taylor) pre-amp controls, I find all externally-visible controls to be both an eyesore and a crime against wood and craftsmanship. (My opinion.) But alas, electronics are not a requirement for me so this feature on the DRS1 may actually be a detractor for me.

My conclusion? I think there are better choices (new and used) for this amount of money. Looking beyond the excitement of owning a Martin I don’t think I would be satisfied with this guitar. I will probably re-visit the store and perform additional A/B testing against the D-15M (and my A&L) but at this point I think I need to keep looking. (Did I just say keep looking. I meant to say keep playing or maybe GET BACK TO PLAYING!) Right now I cannot hear $500-900 worth of difference between my all-laminate A&L and the solid wood body of either the D-15M or the DRS1. Again, I feel uncomfortable but safe saying this here but not the UMGF. This is more a testament to Godin (A&L’s parent company) than a slam against C.F. Martin.

Maybe one day my playing will improve so that I can hear a difference but that time is not now.