126 (edited by naolslager 2011-08-26 13:35:01)

Re: GET BACK TO PLAYING!

Zurf,
I'll keep my eyes open for you. Wait a minute, a D or X, 00 size? I think a D is always a dreadnought. The X is the solid top, laminated b/s with a Stratobond neck. I've never seen an 00 size X. There is an 000 size though. I could be wrong, it has happened once before:)
DJ

I don't know all that.  I want one of the cheap Martins with the Stratobond neck for campfire use.  I do not object to the artificial back so long as the top is solid wood.  Dreadnaught is OK, but I think I'd rather have one of the slighly smaller (though still loud) ones to be smaller to pack in my truck or camper.  Built in electronics would be great, but not mandatory.

Don't expose yourself to GAS on my account naoslager.  I'm short on cash and have a bathroom that needs to be retiled and I'm sure will be costing me more than an HD-28's worth. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You go, all you potential Martin owners.  You will not be sorry.  A Martin will change the way you hear music.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

3+ hours of playing last night. My fingers are sore but that won't stop me from playing today. What else are you supposed to do on a weekend? Yardwork?!

Zurf check out guitar center, they have an online coupon through today that puts the x series at great price.

Thanks for thinking of me - but I'm not buying one just yet.  Just keeping my eye on the market.  I need some more scratch.  This has been an expensive summer with some landscaping, outfitting a new (to me) camper, and bailing out a buddy who's worth the trouble.  Even deploying the full weight of my Lifetime Achievement Award for Selfish Justification, I can't swing it. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

They always run promotions and sales so when the time is right you should still be able to get one at a great price. BTW, i played one today and as as an owner of several solid top, laminate back and sides guitars you can't beat this guitar for the price. They are not much to look at compared to the famous martins like the d-28 and d-35 but they do sound great, and they meet all of your criteria for a camp guitar.

If you're looking for a Martin, another option is to start attending bluegrass festivals.  There are usually vendors there that are willing to negotiate a deal.  I work the largest indoor bluegrass festival in the country every year.  One of my favorite parts is all the various vendors that come and sell their wares.   Beautiful stuff.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Thanks Jerome.  That's a good idea.  The infamous (within Bluegrass circles) Luckett's Community Center is just up the road a piece.  They just had their big festival last weekend when I was out of town unfortunately.  I'm not entirely sold on a Martin as the ONLY possible guitar.  I'm thinking it might be nice to have a cedar topped guitar for a little different sound.  Seagull and Takemine and Ibanez all make reasonably priced cedar topped guitars.

Several hours of playing time yesterday after a 2-week hiatus. Rewarding and fun.

Guitar headcount has ebbed to a local minimum of two. (Okay plus one electric which I have no interest in and never play. In fact I am showing it to a buyer today.)

Playing? Yes, most days. Progressing? Slowly. Joy? YES!

Leaving town for about ten days and I cannot take a guitar this time. It will be tough but I'll have a couple weeks off over the Holidays so maybe i can make up for the lost time.

Have you ever thought about a shred kneck? 

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessor … 5000010000

I have been thinking about one of these for a while.  I spend a lot of down time at work while my machine is running a part, and during brakes.

I have also found that there are 3 or 4 other really good guitar sites on you tube.  I have mentioned them b4 on the forum, I really like these guys. its mostly electric stuff but it can all be done acousticly.

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions … RRTQa2UJAw

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions … SyqtIGP7iw

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions … U8ae5WvEyw

http://www.youtube.com/my_subscriptions … g7pT54tPr8

this should solve travel probs though!  your smart phone and a shreadneck all you need in a carry on bag.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Beamer,
I have a travel guitar. For this trip i new there would be no time to play. In Munich, on my way home. I should have guitar in my hands Saturday morning.
dj

Hey Beamer. How on earth do you hold one of those Shredneck things? I've never seen anything like it. It looks like it would just hang round your neck like a necklace instead of sticking out to the left like a guitar neck would. Cool idea though. I keep a cheap electric to practice on while the wife's in bed as she works nights but the feel isn't quite the same as an acoustic.

"We cannot hold a torch to light another's path without brightening our own." (Ben Sweetland)

Back in the U.S., guitar in hand, and it seems as if I've improved during my playing hiatus?

It's passion.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

No silly New Year's resolutions just a commitment to play.  I bought Justin Sandercoe's "Beginner" book. I wanted to support him and he is a first class guy and teacher. The book is quite good. I struggle with strumming patterns as it appears I am rhythmically challenged. And just two guitars with varying and frequent GAS. But so far, so good. I am having fun and that is a key ingredient.

I did finally reveal my face on YouTube in an embarrassing noodle session. I guess I had the camera pointed incorrectly. Discovered (finally) that my hand doesn't really care what the nut width is. I can readily and seamlessly adapt to most any guitar. Barre chords are still a work in progress but not as daunting as they once were although I cannot use them well enough to put them into a coherent chord sequence. But progress nonetheless.

Still have a difficult time getting a pick OUT of the sound hole. The guitar sound hole is the equivalent of a diode in an electric circuit: current (or picks) can only flow one way!

Over the Holidays my office moved to one much more visible to the responsible adults so I took my "office" guitar home. I didn't want anyone getting the wrong opinion.

Good for you DJ. Really, what does it take to sit down for 30 mins. and bang some stuff out? Keep up with it and those barre chords will be just another chord.

You know, if you lose enough picks in your guitar you can use it as a Maraca.

If you haven't already, we need the link to your vid. Inquiring minds want to know!!!!!

You should take your guitar back to the office. They can't tell you what to do on your lunch break. Get a lunch time band together and make fools of yourselves, I mean jam together.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!