Re: JULY JAM ON THE SHENANDOAH

Perhaps Zurf might like some pretty coloured nails too smile.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

What makes you think they aren't pretty already Roger?

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am really hoping someone will video this so we can see what to do with nails for guitarist,also would like too see some of the fun going on likethe jamming.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Sadly, my video camera bit the dust.  Perhaps someone else will be able to assist. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'll bring my video camera, my still camera, as well as my zoom recorder.  We'll get something to share!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

31 (edited by dino48 2011-05-26 17:24:10)

Thanks amy,I wish I lived closerbut I am 3000 mi away,so it leaves me out. It will be great too see some video or still pictures of the event.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Since this event is getting closer, I thought I'd bump it for you Derek. 

I'm still planning on being there.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'm about 3,700 miles away, but I'm coming!!!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I was on the river yesterday.  It was a bit high and colored, but it was clearing rapidly.  The subsurface fish bite was off, but they were willing on the surface all day (very unusual for this time of year).  I paddled a new section of river for me that winds up pretty much at the campground.  Just upriver a mile or so is one of the most picturesque pieces of water I've ever seen.  The fish didn't think so as I couldn't buy a bite in that section, but I still anchored up and enjoyed the scenery.  Plus someone at a nearby camp had a very good truck stereo and was playing some outlaw country, so I had some tunage to hear. 

I'm really looking forward to this. 

When you check in, say it's for "Derek Zurfluh's event."  I'm going to try and tell them it's "July River Jam" as well, but they definitely have my name. 

- Zurf

So the hubster (BTW his name is Jim) is wondering if he should bring his tattoo equipment with him?  As long as there's clean water and electricity he can make a sterile environment.  If anyone that's coming is interested, please let me know so he can plan accordingly (if I don't hear from anyone then he will leave everything home).

He also has another request... he would LOVE someone to teach him some beginner basics on the bottleneck slide.  He is not only in love with me, but he's also in love with the blues (as well as extreme heavy metal LOL).  THANKS!

I'm heading to the beauty supply store tomorrow to grab some nail supplies to make sure I have everything needed for the "Guitarist Nail Care Seminar".  If anyone needs anything else let me know!  smile  I get quite a discount on professional beauty supplies (aka Paul Mitchell, American Crew, etc ... name brand hair products and such).  I am UBER EXCITED about this trip!  I can't believe it's so close, and yet... it can't get here soon enough.  The kids have only had a few days of summer vacation and I'm ready to escape from them already.  We also have a new puppy who likes to get up every two hours in the middle of the night and of course MOM has to do it all.  Just some time to chill without being needed constantly ... I can't wait!

I won't speak for tattoos.  I have not yet sent the "Picks Around the World" to its next victim, and it just so happens that there are several finger slides in it.  I will pull one out for Jim, and I've already set one aside for myself thinking about what might happen with some open D or C tuning.  So, if anyone is willing to share a bit about bottleneck slide blues, I'd like to sit on that session myself.  I haven't checked to see whether the sites have electric.  If they do and I take my camper (still working out those details), then I may bring a bass as well, and most of my electric bass "learnin'" comes from listening to Chicago blues albums. 

- Zurf

Sorry I can't come to this. Sounds like fun,but unfortunately work has to come first. Anyhow here is a link that may help you future slide players www.slide.neonblade.com Looking forward to some pics and video from this event

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway

This trip gets ever more interesting - I could be coming home with a tatoo and perfect nails. If I get home at all. Won't be needing the hair product, though - an old rag and some furniture polish will do...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

I see Jcillini is heading to the Martin Factory today.  I just looked up some info and found that it's NEARLY on our way to VA.  Possible if we get to leave the house on Thursday we could stop on the way south.  This trip could turn out to be amazing!! 

Thank you Bswyers for the link.  I'll be sure to have the hubby check it out. 

Zurf let us know what you find out about electricity.  Paul, are you seriously considering a tattoo??  smile  If anyone is, and you're scared lol I'll go first.  He never has time to do mine, so this wouldn't be a bad time to do it... although I'm going to continue to harass him before we leave.  I'd rather mine be done before then.  I've only been waiting a year (but then, he tends to wait for his haircuts for a couple months not every 4-6 weeks.  LOL)

I purchased what was needed yesterday for nails.  I'll be able to show you what the different wraps look like... show how to apply... and let you all play with the products I have.  What I buy is enough to do LOTS of nails, but you can purchase the same products at Sally's Beauty Supply (open to the public and Zurf says there's one nearby... plus there's one in nearly every city as far as i know) as a "starter kit" which will be sufficient to do your own with for a guitarist.

I'll check into the electricity.

- Zurf

Amy - no, I'm not actually considering a tattoo!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

Sounds like everyone is gonna have a blast even if there was no music smile

I'll have to bow out of this years event (hopefully it'll be made an annual) but I'm guessing there will be lots of pics/vids so we can see what we've missed.

Safe Travels All The Way Around  smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

are we there yet?  are we there yet?  10 Days to go till July Jam!!!

Yeah.  I'm really looking forward to it.  I don't know whether my kids will be able to make it.  They're at piano camp all week and then have parties to attend on the weekend.  Their social calendar is much more jam packed than mine (or than mine ever was). 

- Zurf

45 (edited by dino48 2011-07-04 16:24:27)

Lucky people,I really wish I was closer so I could join in!! Don't forget your sharpies,so you can sharpie up.

I am sure you will all enjoy it.  Have fun and take lots of pics.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

dino48 wrote:

Lucky people,I really wish I was closer so I could join in!! Don't forget your sharpies,so you can sharpie up.

ha ha ha!  Good idea though!  smile

I'm leaving home around 6 am Friday which should put me there around 2 pm.  Instead of hauling my boats and fishing gear this time, I plan to get up early Saturday (or just stay up if we pick music all night Friday) and do a driving tour of the Chancellorsville, Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania battlefields. (I'm trying to write some new Civil War songs and need some inspiration.) After another night of campfire pickin' I'll have to break camp early and head back to Ohio to attend a wedding Sunday afternoon. I'm bringing a  minimum amount of camping gear so I can tear everything down quickly. Should be a pretty busy weekend, but I'm looking forward to meeting y'all.

DE

On second thought, I might throw a yak on the roof of the Subaru in case someone needs a boat Saturday.

Sounds like a neat trip DE.  The visitor center in Fredericksburg is often staffed by Civil War buffs.  I know it's tough for you to do, but with a little effort you may be able to get over your profound shyness and find a way to strike up a conversation with one of them.    :-)

Also remember Harper's Ferry and Gettysburg aren't too far (though in the opposite direction). 

We went to Gettysburg a few weekends ago.  They've got a new museum, the big circle painting thingy is restored and housed in a beautiful new facility, and they have an interesting movie of about 20 minutes.  You can get a ticket for all three for $11.

If you're a hunter or someone who understands ballistics, going to Gettysburg and viewing Devil's Den from the ridge to consider three times as many people coming at you than you have on your side, knowing that most of those people are freshly supplied and that you're nearly out of ammunition, and then take the road back behind and view it again from the downhill side thinking about how the nation's best regiment of sharpshooters are up on the ridge you're about to try to take and assuming (accurately) that they've already sited in the distance on all the rocks you have to hide behind and dodge between to get up the hill ought to trigger some emotions.  It's an aptly named location.

Then from the top of the ridge you could walk a few hundred yards towards the left flank and walk the ground where Chamberlain ordered his downhill bayonette charge into the Alabamians, who after three days of nonstop walking through July heat from Loudoun County, Virginia to Gettysburg, PA could only be considered "fresh" compared to the deprivations suffered by the Massachusetts men who they were attempting to outflank. 

- Zurf

I've been to Gettysburg and Harper's ferry, but its been several years.  I may have to make a road trip one of these days to see the new facilities. There is a monument to Battery L on Little Roundtop.  The battery was formed from southern Ohio farm boys from around the nearby Portsmouth area. Of the battlefields I've visited, I probably was most impressed with Antietam.  Funny, when my kids were little they complained about Dad taking them to another battlefield/fort/historic site.  Now that they are grown they want to take their young'ns to the same places.

One of these days I've got to check out the Saltville, VA area.  It was the last battle my great grandfather fought before he was killed on Jan 12, 1865.  He was the last casualty of the 39th KY Mounted Infantry.

DE