Re: JULY JAM ON THE SHENANDOAH

You definitely should.  My grandfather was a soldier that saw a lot of action, but somehow he never got hit.  Even one time during WWI he was the only person to survive a battle - either German or American - and then he had to walk out 40 miles carrying a machine gun.  Some folks just never get hit.  Weird. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

sounds like he was a lucky soldier!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

It depends.  He went to his grave an old man, and in those many intervening years he never lost the thought that he should have died in France.  The enormity of the situation made a deep impression upon him.  When each of his sons were drafted (my uncle for WWII and my father for Korea), I can only imagine what was in his mind until they came home. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

54 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-07-10 18:36:05)

Just figured I'd share the weather forecast for this weekend for those attending from a distance...

Fri 15th Partly Cloudy high of 82 low of 61  With a 10% chance of rain

Sat 16th Scattered T-Storms High of 86 low of 65 chance of rain 60%  (this is extended so hopefully it'll change)

Sun 17th Partly Cloudy high of 87 low of 67  Chance of rain 20%

Overall looks like very pleasant temps with the only down side being a chance of rain Saturday, but this an extended forecast so it may change some...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

Just figured I'd share the weather forecast for this weekend for those attending from a distance...

Fri 15th Partly Cloudy high of 82 low of 61  With a 10% chance of rain

Sat 16th Scattered T-Storms High of 86 low of 65 chance of rain 60%  (this is extended so hopefully it'll change)

Sun 17th Partly Cloudy high of 87 low of 67  Chance of rain 20%

Overall looks like very pleasant temps with the only down side being a chance of rain Saturday, but this an extended forecast so it may change some...

Thanks for the update Pix.  I'm waiting until the last moment to decide whether to bring one of my tents or my screen house to sleep under.  I like the screen for warm nights but its not too good if it rains.

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

56 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-07-11 02:11:35)

I'm just carrying a 6 man dome tent. It's mostly mesh unless you put on the rain fly....  I'm also going to carry some percussion stuff for any that don't play but still want to join in smile Bongos, gueiro, egg shakers, etc...

With a chance of rain I'd recommend getting a large trash bag to throw in the compartment of your case. Comes in real handy if your away from the tent and it starts pouring. Just put the case in bag and tie it off to keep it good and dry. I do this most nights as well to keep the humidity from damp mornings out...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

I guess I could bring my Kelty Noah 16 tarp.  It kept 8 pickers dry during a rainstorm while riverside camping a few weeks ago. If there are some nearby trees to tie off to, it would provide plenty of shelter. I've never been called "equipment poor" when it comes to camping gear.  I've also got an 8X10, 9X9, 8X8 and 7X7 tarp as well as two 2-man backpack tents, two 3-man tents, a 4-man and a 6 man.  I acquire outdoor gear like some folks acquire guitars. My friends say my garage looks like an outdoor store. I  hate to admit how many hammocks, ground pads, and dry bags I've got too.  A few years ago my wife questioned my need for 2 rafts, 2 canoes and 5 kayaks as well as all the camping and fishing equipment I've got. I've tried to comply - I'm down to one raft, one canoe and 4 yaks. I tell her that golfers don't have only one club - each hole requires different woods and irons.  Same way with boating/fishing/camping.  The gear I use while staying in a campground is totally different from my back packing gear or what I take for a 2-week Canadian canoe trip.

You're right on about the garbage bags.  I didn't have a big enough dry bag to put a guitar in, so I kept it a couple heavy contractor garbage bags during a 104 mile, 6-day float in my raft down the Middle Fork of the Salmon in Idaho summer before last.  I bought a cheap Johnson to take as I was afraid to take one of my good guitars.  It actually did a pretty good job after I'd lowered the bridge and did a few minor adjustments. As it turned out, the bags did such a good job, I probably could have taken one of my better axes.  The Johnson hasn't been played since that trip - anyone interested in buying a cheap river/camping guitar?

Just 5 more days ...................

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Wow DE... you sure DO have a lot of supplies!  Jim and I only go camping once a year (if that), so we're quite the minimalists.  A tent that just fits the blow up mattress, a couple tarps, some rope, garbage bags, chairs, food, flashlight, percolator, and the little coleman charcoal grill.  I do wish we had a larger tent, but it seems silly to spend money on something bigger when we only use it once a year.  We do actually have a canoe, but I think Jim's only used it once or twice.  I've never been in it. 

Thanks for the tip on bagging the guitar Pix!  I'll be sure to remember to grab a few of the larger garbage bags along with smaller ones.  I've tried to stay away from looking at the forecast for the weekend since those can always change in a matter of a few days.  Jim and I survived an amazing downpour last year by just draping the tarp over the tent at night.  All we had to contend with really was the moisture build up inside.   

Oh BTW... we'll be leaving Thursday and stopping at the Martin Factory on the way.  Jim keeps mentioning how awesome it would be if we find a low cost blemished model while there.  We'll probably spend WAY too much time there to make it to camp before dark, so we're likely going to grab a motel somewhere in southern PA and then get to camp Friday morning.  I am IMPATIENT waiting this out... have made my lists of things to bring/buy and am starting to get everything together.  Sooooo excited, and I can't wait to meet everyone in person!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

If you decide to stay at a motel on the way down, and assuming that you're coming down on Route 15, otherwise known as "The Center of the Universe", stay in Gettysburg or head to Thurmont, MD.  You've got Gettysburg, PA, Thurmont, MD, Frederick, MD, then you get onto route 340 and you'll be go by Harper's Ferry, WV.  Of those, you're most likely to get an affordable room last minute in Gettysburg or Thurmont. 

Also, as you come through Front Royal, if you need supplies get them there.  There's just a small convenience store in Bentonville. 

- Zurf

Thank you for the heads up Zurf!

Sure hoping we have good weather the weekend....It's coming down buckets right now...working on my "row, row, row your boat..." chord transitions just to be safe....

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

What date is this again?
I've been out of sorts for a bit...

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Work has been killer this week!! 14-15hr days in 100 degree heat with no AC and wide open the whole time trying to get things finished.  Man I'm ready for this weekend!!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqzitW5c … ded#at=134

Haven't even had a chance to start packing.. Still need to restring reels and guitars, shopping to do, oil to change & truck to clean out.... Tomorrows going to be a heck of a day trying to get everything done and it looks like it'll be longest day at work this week so far as well.... Big Sigh

Wish I could make it - Hope everyone has a great time!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Detman101 wrote:

What date is this again?
I've been out of sorts for a bit...

Dm

'
This weekend.  Thursday to Sunday.  Sounds like most folks are coming on Friday.  I'll be on the rivers during the day and playing music by evening. 

- Zurf

topdown wrote:

Wish I could make it - Hope everyone has a great time!

Me too, Tops. I will attend another of these gatherings but I can't be at this one except in spirit. May I request that one of you fine guitarists sing an off color song in memory old toots.
I understand MKM has a video cam. I look forward to seeing you wonderful guys and gals pickin' and grinnin'.
Have a ball, ya'll,
the tootmiester

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

67 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-07-14 01:48:30)

Zurf wrote:

There's just a small convenience store in Bentonville. 

- Zurf

Do they sale live bait??  Worms, crickets, & such or should I keep my eyes open for some on the way down?

Tops and Toots, We'll miss you!!!!!  I was really hoping you two would make it sad  --- The weather forecast has only gotten BETTER for the weekend with only a 10% chance of rain now!  We'll be leaving home in a few hours and heading toward the Martin Factory.  We'll see those of you at camp sometime tomorrow morning.  smile  Hope you can make it DM!

Guitarpix wrote:
Zurf wrote:

There's just a small convenience store in Bentonville. 

- Zurf

Do they sale live bait??  Worms, crickets, & such or should I keep my eyes open for some on the way down?

I think you can buy live bait at the camp store and at the canoe outfitter.  I'm mostly a fly-fishing and soft-plastics guy, so I haven't really kept up with the live bait locations.  However, bait is very popular and so it is widely available.

- Zurf

mekidsmom wrote:

Tops and Toots, We'll miss you!!!!!  I was really hoping you two would make it sad  --- The weather forecast has only gotten BETTER for the weekend with only a 10% chance of rain now!  We'll be leaving home in a few hours and heading toward the Martin Factory.  We'll see those of you at camp sometime tomorrow morning.  smile  Hope you can make it DM!

Sorry that I never found out about electric.  Yesterday was "one of those days".   It is only a few minutes before eight o'clock and each child has already had at least one lecture from each parent and another has already been punished.  We will not have another of those days today.  The boundary they were seeking has been reached.  That took quite a lot of our attention yesterday away from the things we wanted to do.  Add in two emergency plumbing situation, one of which requiring a contractor to come and the day got away from us.  It's been like that for a while. 

- Zurf

71 (edited by wlbaye 2011-07-14 12:36:19)

Hope Everyone has a wonderful time and enjoys the Great Outdoors, have fun jamming and remember to tune up and
use good Jam Etiquette  smile

Wish I coulda made it sad

Later, Wayne P

mekidsmom wrote:

I hope so too.
The wife is looking for something to do on saturday so I'm hoping I can convince her that THIS will be it instead of going to hagerstown to visit other friends.
sad

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

I hope so too.
The wife is looking for something to do on saturday so I'm hoping I can convince her that THIS will be it instead of going to hagerstown to visit other friends.
sad

Dm

My wife will be out there on Saturday as well....she's not much of a camper but she will stomach it for one night because she knows it'll be a great music weekend.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Hope you all have a good time,don't forget to sharpie up each other,and leave at least one moderator in here too keep us spam free.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I will bring some spam to cook over the camp fire so all the camping moderators will keep in practice.  smile

J  E  T  S