Re: Skype Jam Test Participation Instructions.

No worries BGD.  iT'S ALL FOR FUN.  tHW REWST OF is have to pay bills too.  Sorryn for the typos.  I'm paying the piper.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

BGD - I am most certain this will be a regular gathering. Join us next week!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks Pete.  The "painkiller" I'm using had me forgetting a lot of lyrics.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Great time even though I could only be with you guys; and girl for a short time.  We learned a little about the process and shared some good memories.  Thanks to all for letting me be a part of it.  I will remember this for a long time.  Kind of a bucket list thing to play music on the internet with others from around the country and the world.  I had a good time and would look forward to doing this again now that I know I can go for awhile without using up my 5 gig of data on my WiFi.  I used almost 4% of my monthly 5 gig plan being online like that for about an hour.  Time well spent!  Thanks to all!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

For what it's worth, I got this message from Skype:

Hi there topdown67,
    www.skype.com

Your group video trial has started
Your free trial is active until Mar 21, 2012.

For the next 7 days you can make group video calls for free with three or more friends and colleagues.

Who knows how long my trial will last? 7 days or until March 21? whatever - I'm glad to share my free trial with the rest of the group as long as it lasts. It seems to me like we should milk the free trials as long as we can smile

Yep, that was a lot of fun! Well done, Zurf, for putting that together! Sorry I could only manage two and a bit hours, but had to get the house quietened down for the night. It was great to put real names and faces to the Chordie names and "meet" everyone. The only problem I had was the sound breaking up now and again - also a weird effect where the pitch went up and down for a few seconds! Unless that was Zurf yodelling...
I got the same message from Skype - just says it's free for the next 7 days. I'm not sure if I can do it next Sunday - would anyone be available on the Saturday? Or shall we leave it a bit longer?

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

I too enjoyed the experience, yes the sound quality on Skype faltered at times, but it certainly was a different kind of campfire sing-song smile.

I have a gig on Saturday so will only be available on Sunday but if Saturday suits everybody I will wait for the next one.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It was wonderful!  I must admit, I had quite a few drinks during the call and was feeling quite well by the end of it all.  It was so much fun being able to sing and play and drink with you guys!  Jim is already planning a song for next week; he was very impressed with how much fun it was and how well it all worked too!  I read a little on the Skype page.  As we suspected, only one person in the group has to have the premium (video group chat) for it to work.  It also says up to 10 people can join, but 5 is suggested for the best quality.  There are also some suggestions on that page for personal system requirements.  Folks with skype on their mobile phones won't be able to use the video feature but will be able to join in as a call only.  I agree with Jeff... milk that free trial as long as possible, one at a time.  The monthly rate isn't too bad, and in my opion it's more than worth it for the ability to get together like we all did!  When we do it again, I'd love for it to be a little earlier in the day.  I'll be working weekends starting this coming weekend - at 5:45 EST (-5GST), plus it'd be great for those 5 hours ahead of my time as well.  I am looking forward to the next one!  Heck... maybe we need to try a couple, Saturday AND Sunday!  LOL!  It was great!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I wonder if a video camera I have would serve to hook up to Skype.
I'd like to join you guys but I would love to use my Sony video cam to transmit video and sound as well as possibly record.
Any techies have any advice?
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

It might.  Try plugging the camera into the computer via a supplied usb cable.  Most come with one.  Open Skype up, go to CALL then VIDEO then VIDEO SETTINGS .... see if it recognizes the camera.  If not, Choose Webcam and see if Skype can find it.  If so... you'll have picture on your screen without even having to connect to anyone.  If that works, make sure to add mekidsmom!  After I've showered, dressed, and look presentable I'll turn Skype on today while I'm able to be at the computer.  It may be on and off throughout the day - but we can test your video out if you get it working on your end. 

BTW - you all might see me on Skype this evening around 5-12 but I will be set to "do not disturb" as I'll be using it to dial into a confrence call for work.  You can still send me messages but I won't get them until I change my status to available.

For future refrence, here's the "what you need to skype video" page:  https://support.skype.com/en-us/faq/FA5 … video-call

I have to wait until Thursday when Casey comes over here. A 11, he is the techie of our entire family. He knows more about this accidentally than any of the rest of us know on purpose.
Will call,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Toots - you can always pick up a workable web cam for $20 or 30 bucks if the vid cam won't work. Well worth it if yesterday's session is a glimmer of things to come!

If I figure this out.Would it be a problem doing one song with the current band I am in.Your time runs right into the time when we jam.That works out perfect

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

A problem?  Heck no!  It would be great triple J! 

Toots... if you send me your snail mail address, I'll send you a webcam.  I have an extra one laying around here that I do not need or use.  wink  If you need a mic, I've got an extra computer mic laying around too.  Heck, I've even got a couple keyboards and a monitor... but those won't help you skype.  tongue

I sent you a connection request Triple J. 

- Zurf

I'm also thinking about using a video camera as a webcam - I do have a webcam, but it's poor quality & not wide angle enough! But, as the video has a built in mic, I'm not sure if that means I can't mute it when other people are playing? Need to experiment, I think! Maybe tonight, when I can get at the main PC...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

I've got a video camera I don't use much, and a small tripod for it. 

Skype allows you to configure which mic you're using.  I will continue to use my Samson C01U USB mic for calls, but I'd like a different camera.  The one built into my laptop does not allow me to zoom or pan or anything fun like that.

Look at all the offers.  What great people.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I tried plugging in my video camera (via USB) tonight, but Skype couldn't find it. I noticed that when I plugged the camera in, the system tried to download the relevant drivers, but was unable to find any - hence the lack of picture, I think. Will try again some other time - think I just need to find the correct drivers...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic

I definitely want in. Hopefully I can figure it out by then.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Hi Zurf would love to join the group what a great idea

Life is but a journey that I don't want to end, that now my day's with D and my guitar I spend.

Paul, some camcorders can handle it, some cannot.  Go to the manufacturers website and see if you can find drivers (yes, that's all that you should need).  I did a general search for Toots and found there are others that have attempted to use the same camera for the same purpose.  I'll bet the same is true for your camera as well.  So a search like that may help.  "how to *name of camera* webcam"  Good luck!

Thanks Amy, will try that. I could also record myself if I can get it working - that would be quite cool...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Norman ST68 acoustic