26 (edited by dguyton 2012-03-20 13:16:50)

Re: If it wasn't for the small miracles . . .

Also, if your hands are big enough, you can hook your thumb "over the top" to get the low E string if you happen to need it for the alternating bass.  That's also a common fingerstyle technique when you get to the 6th shape:
    X
----------------
:  :  :  :  :  :
T  :  :  :  :  1
----------------
  :  :  :  2  :  :
----------------
  :  :  3  : 4  :

This is a really common shape in country and rockabilly fingerstyle, and is, of course, totally movable.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Zurf wrote:

There's another weird one you can use for fingerpicking, but it's as much or worse of a bear as the barre version.  I like bass enough that the barre was worth the effort for me.  It's not as clean sounding as an open chord, but it's good enough if you pick quick enough that you don't have time to hear the blung instead of plunk.

Yeah, I like that idea of picking your way quickly so you don't really have time to hear the plunk!

dguyton wrote:

Also, if your hands are big enough, you can hook your thumb "over the top" to get the low E string if you happen to need it for the alternating bass.  That's also a common fingerstyle technique when you get to the 6th shape:
    X
----------------
T  :  :  :  :  1
----------------
  :  :  :  2  :  :
----------------
  :  :  3  : 4  :

Thanks for another great approach! My thumb is not yet cooperating on this approach, but maybe in time . . .

Mine either, but we must keep after it.  In this particular shape, a nice meaty "thunk" on that low E is really all you need.

--David St. Hubbins

M.B. wrote:

Now, the book that I'm using to learn basic fingerstyle provides a "Cheater Bm" where instead of using a barre you make the Am shape with fingers 2, 3, and 4, and then use finger 1 to fret the high E string at the second fret.

I hope it's not cheating... I do it all the time. But some songs sound better that way. To me at least. If I Die Young - off the top of my head.

What book do you use for fingerstyle? I love fingerstyle but can't find many lessons on it.

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Auxi - I know you didn't ask me, but I have a couple fingerstyle resources.  These are more country-fied finger style than jazzified open tuning finger style like Andy McKee and the like. 

A Mel Bay DVD taught by Alan Munde titled "Super Fingerpicking Guitar".  There's probably a book that goes with it. 
Another Mel Bay resource, this one is a book with a CD titled "You Can Teach Yourself Fingerpick Guitar". 

I don't do everything either of them has.  Especially the book gets quite elaborate and difficult.  But I learned a few things from each and think they were worth what I paid for them. 

I hope that helps. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks so much Zurf! And I was asking anyone with an answer:) . Definitely will look into these books, they sound great.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Mark Hanson's "The Art of Contemporary Travis Picking."  You can find it on Amazon, here:  http://www.amazon.com/The-Contemporary- … amp;sr=8-1  There is a companion volume by the same author "Solo Fingerstyle", as well.  You'll see a link to that on the page above.  Highly recommended.  It took me about a year to work my way through the Travis book; still working on the second one.

--David St. Hubbins

I'm in awe of the expetise here . . . I'm working on the simpliest finger-style book I could find, Progressive Guitar Method: Finger Picking.

And I'm even further behind you M.B. --- I'm just trying to figure out a pattern other than the one that's stuck in my head.... er... fingers.  Perhaps I'll check out some fingerstyle books this summer as I've a new guitar on the way that will LOVE a little more picking and a little less strumming.  Good for you on the Bm.  I've been working on it myself without a ton of luck.  I was doing a "cheater" where I just completely do NOT use the bass notes at all, which works ok for some songs and is totally unacceptable for others.  Checking out Justin guitar's video now!!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

That Bm is actually the one I used for If I Die Young, Amy. No bass. (I think I originally said F# for bass.) This chord does sound good in some songs, better even sometimes, But the barre chord is so much more useful. Thanks for the link Dguyton. I will also check out these books. I love Travis picking. And thanks M.B. I'll look that book up too.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

M.B. wrote:

I'm in awe of the expetise here . . . I'm working on the simpliest finger-style book I could find, Progressive Guitar Method: Finger Picking.

No need to be in awe of anything here; we're all beginners at something.  :-)

--David St. Hubbins

I'm cheating the Bm for Chris Issaks' Wicked Game. Close enough if I warble loud.