Re: Happy NGD to Mekidsdad!

Since UJB's recently been going back and forth between choosing a Martin or a Taylor ... and I own a Martin, Jim owns a Taylor... I thought I'd add a little input in this thread for anyone curious.  My guitar is the Martin 000-15M for comparison.  This Taylor frets nicer than my guitar, it's really smooth to fret and not too rounded on the back of the neck (exactly what I expect from Taylor).  It of course doesn't sound as woody as the Mahogany, but no one should expect it to.  It does sound nice, mellow, not tinny, smooth picker.  When you bang on it, it's got a nice heavy sound.  It's just as loud as mine if not louder (which is saying lot for both guitars being as small as they are - they've both got oomph).  Nice sustain... really all around nice guitar.  It's pretty, but not too "pretty for a guy" - some guitars just have too much bling, this one doesn't in my opinion.   It's more expensive than mine - if I had to do it over again... I'd still buy the Martin because of the sound from the Mahogany - Otherwise, the Taylor wins. wink  We both added K&K pur Mini's for the acoustic sound when we want to plug in.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

27 (edited by TIGLJK 2015-06-04 15:48:30)

Awesome !! LUCKY MAN JIM !!

ENJOY - look forward to hearing you play it !
and at least it didn't cost $10,000  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks for the reviews Amy. I came across a Taylor 114ce on craigslist a couple hours ago for $500. I'm waiting to hear back. I would need to drive nearly halfway to your place to look at. But my experience at GC made my realize I could never buy anything without trying it out first.

Well heck, if you're going to drive that far, just finish the drive and come visit!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I haven't heard back yet so I sent another email. It's in Scranton and that extra 2 hours to Syracuse ain't gonna happen............till August. smile