Re: Tuesday's Flying Fingers

Ewan Dobson    "Evolution of Frustration"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YrQ_OyCeuE

Ewan continues to amaze me with his unique creativity, and ability to incorporate so many techniques / styles together so seamlessly.     

He is an extremely talented player and his technique is perfect and clean. He plays a classical and I have also seen him play a steel strings too. Similar technique with both.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Mike Dawes    "One Man Periphery"     (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmf54oNI6ts

Mike tastefully employs his Loop Station to layer various bits of this beautiful piece. And one can't help but notice his long fingers, as if they're dancing to the music while playing it.     

I just listen to Mike Dawes and although he is good I do not think he could do the same thing on a guitar without an electric pickup. He was fun to watch and anyone who listens to him will  enjoy what he does and watch him.     

Thanks for watching, CG ... of course you're 100% correct about the pickup, as using the Looper and other effects would be impossible without electronic routing of some kind. I like that Mr. Dawes uses effects sparingly, so they don't dominate but rather enhance his performance.     

Yann Evrard     "Last of the Wilds"    (original by Nightwish)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNlObL5HnIo

A fine bit of recording & playing my Mssr. Evrard from Bordeaux, France ... bravo!     

Stephen Bennett    "The Eye of God"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHPgBd-T0pU

This one takes a moment to develop, but is really an excellent piece of writing and playing. While listening, I also enjoyed the various comments left by other listeners on YouTube ... both complimentary and humorous.     

458 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-08-20 14:13:59)

Stephen Bennett  was fun to watch and enjoyed watching play. I do not understand the additional base strings that at times he plays although he is gifted.  I do not understand some of the more humorous posts. You can easily tell how serious he is abut  what and how he plays.

Harp guitars are a unique instrument, aren't they? The six or seven bass strings on a standard harp guitar are typically tuned in the diatonic scale, giving the player a bass "drone" to accompany their playing. From there, many more possibilities can be incorporated, all to give the player more octaves to work with beyond a standard guitar's limitations.

Here's an excellent video by Muriel Anderson, explaining the versatility of her newest Michael Doolin harp guitar (seven bass strings):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUlc-rQSWKc

And here she is with a lovely composition on her older guitar (six bass strings). The sound is much more full due to the bass strings, which really set a wonderful platform for Muriels' excellent harmonic technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLHQQuiX02o

The YouTube comments that struck my "funny bone" were about Mr. Bennett's resemblance to Albert Einstein. One person said he enjoyed Bennett's guitar playing, and also liked his Theory of General Relativity ... almost as an afterthought. big_smile

TF not only does Muriels harp guitar have a beautiful tone her playing is superb.     

What an instrument !
What a player !

Thank you for sharing that !!

That is so beyond cool - I can't even imagine.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Luca Stricagnoli     "Hold the Line"    (by Toto)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HU2DghZESxE

Luca gives us a walking tour of Siggi Braun Guitars in Goppingen, Germany, while playing Toto's hit from 1978 ... his way.

TF

That is amazing. He is a one man band- and only using an acoustic!

A true master of music.
I would love to have the tools and machines in that shop as well !

Really good post- lots to watch and listen to.
Thanks for sharing.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

He picks different sites to record what he plays. I looked him up and he has 6 guitars he plays and records them in different  places so that was not his shop. His playing is unreal and very good at what and how he plays. Very enjoyable and entertaining.     

Marcin Patrzalek     "Caprice #24"    (by Nicolo Paganini)

Here are two interpretations of the same Paganini piece (originally written for violin) by this phenomenal young man from Poland. In the great Mark Knopfler's words  "Oh yeah, the boy can play."

Conventional Nylon Classical:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPd7wMYVYYo

Percussive Steel String:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmb_831Io7w     

I am sorry  that I am late on listening to him. He is excellent and Mark Knopfler's words  "Oh yeah, the boy can play." He was right and it says it all except wonderful choice for Tuesday's Flying Fingers.     

467 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-09-05 05:25:43)

It is a wet overcast Thursday  here and Marcin Patrzalek  playing blows me away  putting some sunshine into my end of the day. Excellent choice TF

I believe the word prodigy should appear somewhere in the assessment of this young man !

It appears to me that he is in love with the instrument and plays it as such.
There probably aren't too many humans that can play like that.
What a wonderful performance !

If I could play anywhere near that level, I'd quit my job.  smile

Thanks for sharing.

Jim     

Tobias Rauscher    "Perspectives"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh4yG5puMYw

Flying Fingers is a day late this week, due to Hurricane Dorian. Like a lot of Nova Scotians, we've been without power & internet for 3 or 4 days ... nice to be back to civilization.     

Guitar slapping -  I have no clue how to do so but it adds to his performance.  Quite a unique way to play guitar.
It seems strange to me ( but I don't much about playing guitar) to see both hands playing on the neck as well.

Thanks for sharing TF     

471 (edited by Classical Guitar 2019-09-11 12:54:59)

He is a good player but slapping is not my idea of treating a guitar as an instrument. I just don't understand why they can not just find someone to play either light drums or bongo druns rather than treating a  good guitar that way. I does not at least appeal to me. He had to first be a very good player. Thank you for sharing it and I know it is not easy to always find flying fingers and specially someone who would always appeal to everyone. I know it is not easy to do.

TIGLJK wrote:

Guitar slapping -  I have no clue how to do so but it adds to his performance.  Quite a unique way to play guitar.
It seems strange to me ( but I don't much about playing guitar) to see both hands playing on the neck as well.

Thanks for sharing TF

Thanks, TIG ... glad you enjoyed him. The technique known as "tapping" - using the picking fingers on the fretboard - was first recorded by Steve Hackett on Genesis 1971 album "Nursery Cryme". That said, it was Eddie Van Halen who gave it full exposure, and it's now quite commonplace. It simply enables a guitarist to play notes together very quickly, as well as using he full length of the neck, so as not to be limited by finger spread on the fretting hand.

Classical Guitar wrote:

He is a good player but slapping is not my idea of treating a guitar as an instrument. I just don't understand why they can not just find someone to play either light drums or bongo druns rather than treating a  good guitar that way. I does not at least appeal to me. He had to first be a very good player. Thank you for sharing it and I know it is not easy to always find flying fingers and specially someone who would always appeal to everyone. I know it is not easy to do.

Thanks, CG ... I do appreciate your views and honesty. And I'm also aware that the percussive element of this style is something you don't care for. Please know that I don't choose these pieces to purposely irritate you, but I'm also not going to leave them out hoping that everyone will like every entry ebe Adding percussive elements to guitar playing is found extensively in Spanish, Flamenco, and Latin American guitar playing, as well as this more modern adaptation. Like every other musical genre, it has a widespread fan base, but certainly doesn't appeal to everyone.

For example, I'm personally not a fan of bluegrass music. But there's no denying its popularity, or the high calibre of musicians like Tony Rice, Dave Grisman, and others in the style. In my humble opinion, personal taste is a reflection of how varied we as humans are. And as far as hiring a percussionist to accompany them, it might be said that economics could even play a role. Why share the admission fees with someone, when a percussive guitarist can keep the whole amount?     

TF
See - if I keep paying attention to ll the great musicians here on chordie ( like yourself)  I'm going to actually know something about music !  Thanks my friend!
Jim     

Eva Atmatzidou    "Senor Karreta"    (original)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXjsee7qeW0

Always interesting and never conventional, Eva writes interesting and surprising element into this one, and executes everything flawlessly. The locale and some of the notes almost add an air of creepiness to this ... hope y'all enjoy it.