26 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-09 05:44:53)

Re: What Inspired your Chordie Nickname?

Badeye a friend of mine has a glass eye. Sometimes after he has had a few beers he will take his eye out and leave it on the table. He will then say something like I  am leaving now but Ill keep an eye on you while Im gone. Another chap I knew didnt  like wearing a glass eye so wore a Pirates patch everyone ended up, calling him Patch.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Badeye a friend of mine has a glass eye. Sometimes after he has had a few beers he will take his eye out and leave it on the table. He will then say something like I  am leaving now but Ill keep an eye on you while Im gone. Another chap I knew didnt  like wearing a glass eye so wore a Pirates patch everyone ended up, calling him Patch.

I also had a friend who had a glass eye,,   one nite he was gassed and dropped it in a fish tank. He didn't find it for a few weeks   what a good laugh we all had... I really don't have a bad eye  but people have been calling me that for a while.. I have a good eye for landscaping and one of my old co workers deemed me a badeye...   

Brad            cool

one caper after another

Sorry to disappoint you Roger but this is what i meant by jandles or as the Aussies call them thongs wink

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvuujT_pdWcXvWocdSZSsNv3E5AWNTSm3iyZ_Nev0iaEyBRdRABw

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

I knew what you meant Jan. They are flip flops over here but from now on I am using the Aussie name for them. lol

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

http://www.desismileys.com/smileys/desismileys_4421.gif

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

31 (edited by Tenement Funster 2017-09-16 10:40:44)

Thanks for clarifying the whole footwear VS underwear debate, Jandle ... I was starting to blush!

32 (edited by Classical Guitar 2017-09-16 18:09:52)

Some of the students I taught started calling me CG and that was short for Classical Guitar. It has nothing to do with my real name, so when I registered I used Classical Guitar, because CG just seemed to short.

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

33 (edited by Phill Williams 2017-09-16 20:34:52)

My oldest son lives in Oz so I knew what thongs meant down under. I just had a thought though; imagine doing a gig in the UK and asking the audience...show us your thongs!!!! Well I can imagine it, as I was twerked once, that was 10 or 12 years ago, so you can imagine what kind of affect it had on me?

Joyio as we say in Welsh

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

34 (edited by Peatle Jville 2017-09-17 10:38:21)

Words in one language when said in another language can be offensive swear words. Whakarewarewa (reduced version of Te Whakarewarewatanga O Te Ope Taua A Wahiao, meaning The gathering place for the war parties of Wahiao, is often abbreviated to Whaka by locals.  This place Whakarewarewa is a tourist destination in Rotorua.  English speaking tourist often find it amusing to hear the word Whaka.  The letters WH  part of WHaka in Maori is pronounce as an f,  So  when you speak the name Whaka in Maori  it  sounds like Far Car to english speaking ears. The aka part of the name is pronounced Uck Car.  Of course with Wh sounding F in front of  the ucker   makes  it  in english a swear word to untrained ears. I supose it is a bit like when the Irish say Whale Oil Beef Hooked. 
Phill  Maori  have a form of twirking with their naked butts known as the act of whakapohane (baring of  buttocks, a traditional Māori insult)
This  was  done to visiting Royalty by Anti Government  protesters against the Crown as the Royal Party drove past them.  One Newspaper Headline reported it as a Twenty One Bum Salute.

35 (edited by TheKodiak 2017-09-20 18:48:25)

So working for our fire department, nearly everyone gets a nickname.  If you didn't get one, you kind of worried.  Some of them are G-rated, and others not so much.  Some examples include; Joe "Barely" Moving,   Tom "The Scarecrow" (never did any work), "Bro-nocchio" (who called everyone Bro and was known for stretching the truth), and "Googleopoulous" (a greek fellow who always fact checked your story on his cell phone's Google app).

Early in my career, a friend who was a former state wrestling champion in high school, came up behind behind me and tried to get me in a bear hug.  Me being more on the "husky" side, he couldn't get his arms locked around me.  He said, "You're big, big like a Kodiak bear!".  A couple of shifts later, we were riding in the fire truck and heard "Movin Out" by Billy Joel.  The part where he sings "Working too hard can give you a heart attack, ack, ack" was quickly replaced by my wrestler buddy with Kodiak, ak, ak. and it has stuck ever since.

Do what's right. If you have to think about it, it's probably wrong.