Topic: Guitar accessories

I want to ask , Guitar accessories for beginners ? 

Re: Guitar accessories

Angela2801 Welcome  to Chordie and thank you for your post. To properly answer you, please let know what type guitar you play. As an example the type of polish , capo, and extra strings  all  depend on  the type  of instrument.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Welcome Angela. CG is right - the type of instrument you play determines what accessories you may need.  Regardless of the type, I feel a good tuner is absolutely necessary for a beginner. Always  having your guitar in tune makes playing more pleasurable and hastens the learning curve.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I'd agree that specific brands and types and sizes of accessories depend upon the type of guitar and style you're trying to play. But "extra strings" is universal. So here are some broad-based recommendations for accessories I think beginner players should be looking to acquire over time. The list is in no particular order.

Picks / plectrums.  Dunlop vinyl picks are good for beginners in any style but classical. Classical players usually use their fingers.
Clip-on tuner that uses vibration of the instrument. The most popular is probably the Snark tuner, but there is a wide variety.
Spare strings for whatever your guitar requires. Ask at the shop.
Good quality capo. Like a G7th or a Kyser.
String winder.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I'm just going to echo what the others have said:

1) Snark "Super Tight" tuner ( http://www.snarktuners.com/products/super-tight )
They're relatively inexpensive, and surprisingly accurate. It's usually a good idea to re-tune a guitar every time you sit down to play it ... they always wander a bit from being exact.

2) G7th "Performance 3" capo ( https://www.g7th.com/P3 )
This is the one I wish I'd bought the first time, instead of trying to save few $$$ on several others that really didn't work that well. They're easy to use, and work very well.

3) Cat's Tongue Grip Brain picks (
Available at most music stores, these Czech-made picks have a sandpaper like texture on the end you hold, making them easy to hang on to. If you're a beginning guitarist, you may wish to start with a thinner gauge (.53 for example) and then move up in thickness as your confidence improves.

Everything else will be up to you, the style of music you like, how much cash you have to spend on "necessities" big_smile, and how much experimentation you want to do.     

I'd add a metronome to the list of good accesories for beginners.     

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

On the subject of picks/plectrums - and I've written about this before - : Later, after you've spent some time getting to know your instrument, you may want to consider getting some felt picks (used by bass players). In my opinion, they produce a "warm" or a softer sound on your acoustic's strings. I discovered this by accident when I couldn't find a normal pick to use on my acoustic 6 string and used the felt one instead.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

hello, guys I'm also looking for information on accessories for Italian guitar, who has information write me... thank you.     

Bienvenido a Chordie Gemma. La información en los posts anteriores se aplicaría a casi cualquier tipo de guitarra. Noté que su sitio web es un sitio de mercadeo, y la publicidad no autorizada está prohibida en nuestro sitio. Elimine los enlaces comerciales de su perfil y continuaremos manteniéndolo en nuestra comunidad con la esperanza de ayudarlo en su viaje musical.     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Here are some accessories in my kit bag that I don't think have been mentioned previously.  I carry a small needle nose pliers and snips to remove excess string.  I like to leave about 2 or 3 cm and fold half back to eliminate sharp ends.  I have a shoulder strap in my kit, not too wide.  I have a metal canister with a clear top for bridge pegs and plectrums.  I have a extensible  stick with a folding mirror and light to examine the insides of the guitar.  I carry a cleaning microfiber cloth and a micro-brush to clean the nut slots.  That is in addition to the items previously mentioned.     

I have a gig box in which I carry essentials, spare strings, plectrums, various guitar FX with tuners included, and a headstock tuner for acoustic. I also have a lint free cloth to wipe the sweat from the woodwork and strings as sweat contains chemicals that will wear away the paint and lacquer and damage the strings. We're all different.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

try metronome smile     

Does anybody know anything about a smartphone app called "guitar tuna". This a free app that is an electronic guitar tuner. The problem is when I try to tune my guitar, on each string the needle first registers too high, then too low. I don't know which reading is accurate.     

I'll take a shot at clarifying this anomaly... not that I am a doctor of physics or anything. When you first pluck a string it will always read high to a frequency counting device or software at first and when the initial vibration has traveled up and down the full length of the string it will "ring" at it's tuned frequency. So I would surmise that the later detected vibration count would be the most accurate as that is the natural harmonic of the string at the tension it is at.. Either way it is usually best to check the note at a couple of locations on the neck to be sure you are fairly close as intonation comes into play as you shorten the string length by fretting.     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Thank you for the answer.     

IMYY4U wrote:

Does anybody know anything about a smartphone app called "guitar tuna". This a free app that is an electronic guitar tuner. The problem is when I try to tune my guitar, on each string the needle first registers too high, then too low. I don't know which reading is accurate.

IT IS NOT A GOOD APP

TRY THE BOSS TUNER APP.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I will also second the snark.  picks, It depends on wht you want.  Hard attack? soft  attack?   all kinds of options.  buy a bunch of different and see what suits you.  Me, for metal i like a Med to heavy, Punk med to light,  ballads, light.  and my current favorite are Snarling Dog picks.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I keep my picks in an old glass spice jar, usually vanilla. It keeps the picks safe and makes them smell a bit nice, which is fun.

Other suggestions:
- A music stand
- straplocks for your guitars if you plan to play with a strap.
- depending on the climate you live in, fretboard cleaning wipes.     

Where to buy guitar accessories for beginners ?     

james.segrest wrote:

Where to buy guitar accessories for beginners ?

On-line you can get anything you want from

- Sweetwater
- ZZounds
- Music123
- American Music Supply
- Guitar Center
- Sam Ash

If you want to buy locally, you'll have to do a Google search for guitar stores in your area.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You needn't any accessories at the beginning. At first you need to feel the strings well all your fingertips and learn how to play at least a few difficult compositions. After that it make sense to buy accessories for guitar.     

More seriously, the first of the accessories that I bought for myself is a good guitar strap and a cool stand for it.     

Must have guitar Accessories for beginners: ·guitar tuner, guitar maintenance kit, capo, metronome machine.     

Can you please help me find the best Guitar for my 10 years old son?     

Thanks
Ravikant

Sure! Here are some essential guitar accessories for beginners:

1. Guitar Picks: Picks are small triangular or teardrop-shaped pieces of plastic, metal, or other materials used to strum or pick the strings. They come in various thicknesses, so experiment to find what feels comfortable for you.

2. Guitar Strap: A strap helps you support the weight of the guitar while standing or playing in a standing position. Look for an adjustable strap that suits your preferred playing height.

3. Guitar Tuner: A tuner is crucial for keeping your guitar in tune. You can choose from clip-on tuners, pedal tuners, or smartphone apps designed for tuning guitars.

4. Guitar Case or Gig Bag: A case or gig bag provides protection and makes it easier to transport your guitar. Gig bags are generally more lightweight and suitable for short trips, while hard cases offer more robust protection.

5. Extra Strings: It's always a good idea to have spare guitar strings on hand. Beginners tend to break strings more frequently due to unfamiliarity with string handling and tuning.

6. Guitar Stand: A guitar stand holds your guitar securely when not in use, preventing it from being damaged by accidental falls or bumps. It's a convenient accessory to have at home or in the studio.

7. Guitar Capo: A capo is a clamp-like device placed on the guitar neck to change the pitch and key of the instrument. It's useful for playing songs in different keys without changing chord shapes.

8. Guitar Maintenance Tools: Basic guitar maintenance tools, such as a string cutter, string winder, and a cloth for cleaning, will help you keep your guitar in good condition.