Re: a topic on anything at all

Your secret is safe with us, Ken.

The delicious irony of this flower pickin' festival is that at this time of year there are really no flowers to pick around here . . . So, I guess we will all be pickin' imaginary flowers?  The original incident with Johnny Cash happened in May of 1965 - lots of flowers to be picked any time day or night at that time of year.

Festivities kick off at 11am Friday where somebody with a PhD will discuss their dissertation which was entitled "Religion in the South Through the Prism of Johnny Cash".  I'm hoping to somehow grab a seat close to the front . . . (well, actually there probably won't be such a huge crowd for that . . .)

Lots of music on Saturday.  Sunday morning there will be a 'Redemption Service' with Joanne Cash (Johnny's sister) plus lots of Gospel music.  Organizers are planning to make it an annual festival.

If chordie was a site for wealthy Investment Bankers (instead of poor musicians) everybody could hop into their personal jet and join the fun . . .

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

hope you enjoy that james, i know I would

Have a great day there

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Good Old Johnny Cash!

This was a long time coming.

Love the idea of a flower picking festival.  But somehow i never did see

him with bunnies at his feet and little birdies flying around his head!!.

loved him none the less.

Hurt" is such a beautiful song, always makes me cry.

Old Doll.

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=AO9dbmJ_2zU

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hurt was actually a "nine inch nails" song that Johnny cash recorded and done a better job of it than the original I tihn, he put more feeling into the song. He also loved heavy rock music. He loved metallica and he also does a grat version of "I fought the law" by the clash.

KEn

30 (edited by last_rebel 2007-10-31 00:39:06)

So, I guess we will all be pickin' imaginary flowers?  The original incident with Johnny Cash happened in May of 1965 - lots of flowers to be picked any time day or night at that time of year.

Have yall heard the song he wrote about that? Its called starkville city jail. Funny stuff..... Johnny Cash was always cool, but he seemed to me to get cooler as he got older. (Of course Folsom Prison Blues can't be beat).
I bought a Johhny Cash CD that has quotes from famous people telling him happy birthday, I was surprised to see stuff from slipknot and metallica, but come to find out he knew and liked a lot of those guys.
Coincidentally Kid Rock has a signed  American highway Record that says 'From a Fan, Johnny Cash'. (Saw him on tv showing his house, and of course my eyes went straight to the records and guitars lol)

All You Need is Love smile

Hi milt101 - sorry for the problem with putting chordie-formatted songs into Word.

May I ask, why would you need to do that?

Anyway, try this . . . use chordie's 'edit song' feature:
1.  Move the song into your songbook - then open it using the 'edit' button at the end of the listing.
2.  You will see an upper 'edit' pane with the song in unformatted (raw) form and a lower 'view' pane displaying the formatted song.
3.  Now, in the upper pane you can edit out any 'chaff and fluff' that you don't need.  Plus, you can make other changes that may improve the layout or accuracy of the song.
4.  Once you have made the changes you want, hit the 'save' button between the panes to lock in your formatting changes.
5.  Lastly, you can simply COPY the unformatted or raw song from the upper pane and PASTE that version of the file into Word.
6.  Since you made your changes in your songbook, now anytime you open that song it will be displayed showing your editing changes.  If you want, you can even 'correct' the song in chordie's index by opening from the index, hitting 'improve song' and then pasting in your improved version in the edit pane. 

Sounds complicated, but it really is not once you do it for the first time.
Hope this helps . . . . James

Oooops Sorry James, reading through this thread I spotted Milts out of place question and as I had already seen it in the About Chordie section I have deleted it. I wil leave him a message to look here.

Again, sorry,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

This is the first time I've ever read posts on any forum and I have to say that I'm totally confused as to who is saying what to whom, but in no way has it diminished the pleasure of getting oblique glances of other things and in a kind of organic way it is all rather satisfying, this is also my first ever post and I would like to say hello to you all where ever you are on our beautiful dirtball,
the fat painter.

Hi To you The Fat Painter,

Just having my lunch here! Your very welcome to Chordie. Best site ever!

I am ensconced on the beautiful Emerald Isle" So Fáilte".

Ask any thing, some one will answer. Great Group of sensible clever people.

Have a blast!

Ps. Are you any good at painting? Murals, Art, or domestic?

What instrument do you play? apart from your paint brush! lol

Old Doll.

So there really people out there, I'm a decorator for my sins in a previous life, I stumled onto chordie as I have only come back to the guitar after 14yrs. of letting my spirit wilt, my fingers had been stolen and replaced with chipolatas and the songs that I thought I could remember where like shadows cast on a flowing river but the pleasure of rediscovery evens it all out.
Slante.
the fat painter

Hi again,

my whole life was a shadow when i came here!

Suffice to say, this site restored  my being in more ways then one..

Go around the site, and get to know so many great people.

As for your Chipolatas?, Fresh rolls onions mustard, [God this could start a thread} You will be fine! enjoy enjoy.

Back to work,

Slán

Old Doll.

Hello thefatpainter & a hearty welcome into the Land of Chordie!

There are real people out here - we are scattered geographically but united in our love of playing and singing music.  I found chordie a couple of years ago while searching for lyrics and chords to "When I Paint My Masterpiece" by Dylan and The Band.  Found what I was looking for plus a whole lot more.

This forum is lots of fun - plenty of helpful folks and plenty of lively conversation.  My favorite part of the forum is the Songwriting section.  Lots of great original stuff posted there.

Look forward to getting to know you better,
James

There are times when I feel like eating those chipolatas.

I too came back to the guitar after about 12 years or so (can never remember exactly). Boy, does it knock you back on your ass for a while. But there's always something magical happens to keep the rekindled fire burning.

Love this site. Love this forum. Always learning. Always trying to do better. I feel a song coming on!

All the very best,

Al V

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Mmm, mm, mmm,mm,my stlaypler, has anyone seen my stlaypler? Stlaypler, mm, mm,mm, mmmyyy, my stlaypler..................

" And I said, I don't care if they lay me off either, because I told, I told Bill that if they move my desk one more time, then, then I'm, I'm quitting, I'm going to quit. And, and I told Don too, because they've moved my desk four times already this year, and I used to be over by the window, and I could see the squirrels, and they were married, but then, they switched from the Swingline to the Boston stapler, but I kept my Swingline stapler because it didn't bind up as much, and I kept the staples for the Swingline stapler and it's not okay because if they take my stapler then I'll set the building on fire... "

Anyoneknow  from which movie this quote was taken?

Give everything but up.

pretty cloudy here tonight!!
but the good news is I should soon have an extra bedroom up in my loft or attic whatever you wish to call it.
I was going to use it as a music room and an observatory to look at the stars with my telescope but instead I have been told it will be a bedroom for my boy since he wants to be up wit hthe stars. I tihnk he should just pick up a guitar,learn it good become famous and be a star himself.

Ken

I'm not a happy bunny. Changed my strings on my old jumbo. I thought after years of changing my strings in a DIY sorta way with no problems I'd change them using Justin Sandercoes method the pucker pro way. Took 3times as long and looked real nice then I tighten the high e and twang the little sod snapped nearly took my ear off and caught my finger.
To be fair it was probally a doddy string.....But. Is there some moral to be learn't here. Old dog new tricks maybe.

Hi thefatpaint.........Chordie is a great invigorator for the guitar player. Welcome

Ark

42 (edited by last_rebel 2007-10-31 21:22:42)

the fat painter.... just gotta say I love that screen name, it makes me laugh. Chordie's awesome, lots of fellow musicians who are glad to help and give advice, lots of different styles here also. May I ask, what kind of music do you like?
Oh by the way south paw, I think that movie's called Office Space???? Ive seen it twice on TV, but I always come in a few minutes after it starts (dang this cable TV)...
That guy reminds me of a guy who goes to our church, kind of a nerdy but very likable fellow. He told me one time, 'I don't see why the airports are stressing out so much over nail files and cell phones, I could bring a water bottle full of clear liquid that wouldn't set off any sensors and blow up the whole airport..."
I try to stay on his good side lol

All You Need is Love smile

TheFatPainter - I don't paint, but I am kind of fat, so we've got that in common.  I don't know what chipolatas are, but if you can play guitar with them - then more power to you!

Last_Rebel - We've got a guy in our office that used to be a CIA black ops guy.  The employees who report to him say that they really don't quibble much over their performance ratings with a guy who knows how to make them disappear.  I think that's a real sensible approach. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

last_rebel wrote:

Oh by the way south paw, I think that movie's called Office Space???? Ive seen it twice on TV, but I always come in a few minutes after it starts (dang this cable TV)...
That guy reminds me of a guy who goes to our church, kind of a nerdy but very likable fellow. He told me one time, 'I don't see why the airports are stressing out so much over nail files and cell phones, I could bring a water bottle full of clear liquid that wouldn't set off any sensors and blow up the whole airport..."
I try to stay on his good side lol

Ding,ding, ding, ding, ding!!!!! You win last rebel! That's it, You are indeed correct. Yeah if'n I was you I reckon I'd be stayin' on that guy's good side too.

Give everything but up.

fatpainter
hi hows it going?
the reason you have no idea about who is saying what in this thread is because of the tpoic name maybe? We are typing anything we like, and maybe get a few replies before someone changes the topic.
there are some really good topics out there in chordie land, this is just a good topic or topics, I can confuse myself quite easily when talking about brush handles so dont take any notice of this post apart from HELLO

Ken

46 (edited by Old Doll 2007-10-31 23:20:36)

This thread is hilarious,

Fatpainter must think he is in a home for the bewildered?

We are! Oh were not! Ok  lol

Old Doll.

Did you know it was the Irish that started Halloween?

Like all good things , the americans borrowed it, Had pumpkins to

offset our wee spanish oranges. Then to add insult to injury, they

carve all our ugly mushes on them every year. Pop a wee tea light inside!

and light us up! How very gracious of them.

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL, Especially you Americans. Bought all my

halloween decor in Salem  last time i was there! Great Place.

Old Doll

SouthPaw41L wrote:

What's your all-time best pick-up line?

This one used to work for me once in a while back in the day.

"I heard you're lookin' for me, here I am!"

To answer the above not directed to the originator of the quote.

The one that work for me was "hi your cute.

Bootlegger.

Having just moved house and everything is needing done, to come here and meander through the random thoughts like a James Joyce narrative is in fact a guilty pleasure (old Calvinistic work ethic) but a blessed relief from the unrelenting DIY. I would like to say thanks for all the kind replies and have a quick Q&A. What time zone are you on ? A chipolata is a small sauage. How do you add your quotes and name graphics? I like music that can be parred down to a voice and a single instrument, I think most great songs do this. Old Doll, there go the Irish claiming all thats good in the world! Halloween is firmly rooted to Celtic and early Pagan religious festivals and as part of the Celtic deaspera you only have a part claim. Here we used to carve out Turnips(almost a kind of punishment) and I think that would pre-date your little Spanish oranges. Well back to the wallpaper stripper and as it is for me there is no wedge at the end to keep me sweet.

Slante

Thefatpainter

U.S. mid-Atlantic.  Slogging through life in the suburbs of Washington, DC. 

That Office Space guy was a nut.  But the funner exchange was this one.

Bob1: "I see you've been missing a lot of work lately."
Protagonist: "I don't think I can say that I've been MISSING it."
All laugh
Bob2: "This one has got management potential." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude