Re: Ukulele players out there?

hi chordie is grate there is anthoer site called "Boogaloo Songbook" i only started playing 1 year ago and love it and i drives my wife mad

Buying 1 sóon smile

78 (edited by bluetick1230 2008-04-05 22:43:24)

Hi,
  If any one out there would like some inspiration hunt out the Midnight Ukulele Disco. (Sorry, not smart enough to provide a link).
  There are hundreds of tunes of all standards from a public service broadcaster in the U.S.
  The real treat is the original version of Jake Shimabukuru (?) playing "While My Guitar Gently Weeps". Stunning.

hi bluetick,
thank you for that name, I looked him up on youtube. I have never seen or heard of him before and I think everyone should watch him do this song at least once!

I will be looking for more of his stuff.
I will never play like him i dont think, but still great to listen to and great to get people to shut up that think the uke is only a toy intrument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mEqEe-PIC8

cheers

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi all,
1st post, whoopdeefrickindoo!

I've been playing uke for about 3 years now. I love it, although I'm not sure about the people around me!

Jake is a fantastic player. I have 2 of his albums; Although I will say that the playing is great, the arrangements and backing are just shocking. Its like a "ukulele moods" backing track..... I would have preferred just him.

Listen to the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britian! I've seen them twice and they were pretty much what got me playing!

One day I hope to go to Hawaii and get myself a "Real" uke!

Have fun boys and girls!

Hello, just registered. Good luck to all new ukulele players, I started almost 7 years ago but I wasn't a guitar player and it has taken me ages to get my right hand doing what it should. When I started I thought I was a bit of a freak but getting on the interweb I've been amazed how many freaks we are. You Tube has lots of good and not so good clips of people playing, plus fantastic lessons called 'Uke minutes' by Aldine something????? Also check out myspace for uke players (including little old ukemonkey). I started on a cheap uke and really made myself earn a better one by getting good enough to feel I deserved it, I now play an Applause acoustic (lovely sound and in tune up the neck) and I also got an E-Bay bargain Oscar Schmidt electroacoustic which I use for recording.
I also teach ukulele to children in my school (i'm a primary teacher) and they love the fact that they can be playing a song after one lesson and their fingers can reach frets easily. Keep at it!

Does anyone know a good site for tablatures for ukuleles?  Mine is tuned GCEA and I don't really like playing chords, I'd rather pick most of the song and the sheet music would be a great help.

Dominator, and Ukulele Hunt are good tab sites

84 (edited by Shas 2008-07-09 20:53:39)

You don't have to spend a lot to get a decent uke.
I have noodled about with just about every kind of instrument you can think of,
but somehow I've never become a musician, alas.
Then this past Christmas I was given a concert/tenor uke
and it was love at first strum.
I was even playing protest songs in the park last week
to an apparently enthusiastic audience!!

My wife is a Grade 10 pianist and versatile musician
(Irish harp, guitar, keyboard, flute, clarinet, songwriter...)
and she is very impressed with the tone and quality of my ukulele.
It cost less than $50 and you can find the same one here
http://www.empire-music.com/US/English/ … ctID=CL500

I don't think it's a fluke, either, as we have done business with Empire Music
for the past 15 years without a single complaint.
This is truly a nice instrument.
Okay, the finish isn't Martin quality, but there are no obvious defects,
all of the joinery is good-to-excellent, the frets are consistent,
what can I say? It's a well made little music maker.
I hope to buy a soprano uke soon and it will definitely be the same make.

The most important "accessory" any new string-plucker can have
is a bookmark set to chordie.com!

Shas

UKELELEJACK here:
I have a friend who is a true grand master guitar player of over 40 years and teacher as well. His advise to me was to get a good instrument as they are simply easier to play. My first one was a spruce Washburn and I got lucky. Mass produced china stuff can really vary, but mine was/is a really good one. Too high when I got it but with some setup and swaping to bone for the saddle and nut it became a low and fast player of the first water...A year later I had one made for me by Dr. Hank Robinson, a Jazz uke, looks like an archtop cutaway, voices like an angel. I lost the use of my little finger, left hand long ago and the uke kept me in the string thing so I have no regrets for the money.

http://www.geocities.com/trobinso.geo/Jazz_Uke.html

This is his site and while he does not make many, if you EVER get one you have a gem. I have met Lyle Ritz in Nashville and had him sign the old Washburn for me so it does not get played much anymore but chordie has been the best site for my song searches of anything...by the way...if you play the harp get a neck rack fot it and try that with your simple stuff...I do declare, they just GO together...keep strumming!

jack

86 (edited by mcep11 2008-09-01 19:56:41)

Yo ho... happy as a clam with my Kala KA-T tenor, low-g, through musicguymic on ebay.  150-200 gets you a very decent instrument (plus case and better strings).  It is always worth while to spend enough money on your first instrument. This is my first uke since I played as a kid and I'm glad, when the bug hit last month, I got the tenor.

And wow, chordie is a great site for all the older stuff I remember my parents (it was that Arthur Godfrey generation) playing around the house in the early 60's.

My wife is looking into ukulele-intervention groups. :^)

hiho

I just joined the www, I am looking for chords for the Uke. Can anyone help me?
Tripitaka

Hi Tripitaka and welcome to Chordie,

If you look in the 'Resources' at the bottom of this list is 'Change settings (instrument/tuning)', click on there and change your instrument to ukeulele and then every song wil show ukulele chords.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi trip,
and welcome to chordie

Roger has already told you what you can do here for Uke chords.

Here is another UKE site though

http://www.alligatorboogaloo.com/uke/tabs.html

but chordie is better ,lol. More songs !!

Ken

i play =] im thirteen and ive had one for about a year. its hard but i love it!!

I've been playing the Uke for about 16 months now. I had never played another instrument before. I have been coming to chordie since I started playing also, but today I just decided to join, haha.

I started out on a Johnson Spanish Uke ($50), and now I have a tenor with f-holes that I found on eBay. It was 75 bucks...and I couldn't be happier with it!

hi impheelinu

welcome to chordie.

Ken

i just got a ukulele very recently.

i've played guitar off and on for years but it's always been quite difficult for me as i have a strange combination of double jointed fingers and slight arthritis (i'm only 27, i just have poo for genetics).

the ukulele has been very easy for me to pick up. i doubt i'll ever be an officionado, but for strumming chords and singing along it's perfect.

I've been playing uke for about a year now, and I LOVE it!  Was a guitar player for years, but the smaller neck and fewer strings make it SO much easier for me to stretch my 'chordage' that I now prefer the uke to all other instruments.
Started with a Lanikai, then got a beautiful little Cordoba (made in Portugal) - both concert size.  Was given a tenor as a gift - and I switched around amongst the three 'till me moved on board.
Right now we are sailing in the Caribbean, and I have my Cordoba uke, one mandolin and a 'baby' Taylor (guitar).
For practice, and to learn new tunes I often play along with my 'radio stations' on Pandora's free radio.
smile  keep on plunkin'  mariel

Hi everyone.... just signed up as a new member here at chordie.  I just had my very first uke lesson a week ago...and am LOVIN it.  So, I thought I'd try to find some music..  somebody suggested this website.  But all I'm seeing is music for the guitar.  Can someone tell me how to format the music I'm seeing on chordie for the guitar to the ukulele?  I hope that's not a silly request - cuz really I am really an absolute beginner!  Thanks. yikes

Hi again... ok... guess I should have read an earlier thread..!  I found it - Resources / change settings.  Silly me!  I'll keep in touch and hopefully my uke won't be as "Scarry" as me smile

... did I mention that I'm computer iliterate?!  I changed my instrumetn setting to C Ukulele and I am not seeing any songs for the uke.  sad  Is this website too complicated for a beginner?

Hi veryscarrie and welcome to chordie! By changing your settings to C / Ukulele, every song available on Chordie (at least those in ChoPro format) is automatically transcribed to your configuration. Look at the blue tabs on the home page named "artist", "songs" etc - there are over 250,000 songs available.

Here's a link to the Uke Collections from the Public Songbooks tab - I'm sure you will find something you like!

http://www.chordie.com/publicbooks.php? … ollections

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks... I think I've got it now!  Thanks for your help smile  I'm determined to learn this jewel of an instrument.. I'll keep you all posted as to how I'm doing.  Cheers!

Been playing my super cheap Rogue Baritone for about 3 months now.  Looking to upgrade my model, I love this little thing.  Something about the ukulele is so goofy that you never feel bad about pulling it out and noodling around. 

Looking for something that is accoustic/electric and nice.

I have it tuned to open G like a banjo, because I already knew the major chord shapes there.  Besides chordie.com I spend a lot of time looking at

http://www.4stringchords.com/  Which is GREAT.