Re: ELIXIR STRINGS

Well, I can say now that I have gotten use to the sound of the Elixir strings, but what I like best is they seem to stay in tune much longer than any others I've tried. I'm going to experiment with other strings maybe next I'll take Sonsterman's advice and try the D'addario EXP strings.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

My Faith came with Elixir and they recommended only them, tho' I don't know whether they were Nano or Poly.

The shop where I bought the guitar and buy strings told me Faith had stopped dealing with Elixir (12.95) and the shop only had Ernie Ball coated which I bought for about £2 more than Elixir. The tone isn't quite as bright, they are slightly quieter BUT I get no white powder on the guitar - they last.

When I was gigging in the '80s I put on a set of Klondikes (phosphor bronze)every 2 days at nearly £10 a time then discovered Ernie Ball Earthwood phosphor bronze in the '90s and saved myself £2 per pack and kept them on for weeks at a time.

<-----<< On an even field, only talent prevails! >>----->
   Gans Gwarak da yn dorn yu lel, gwyr lowen an golon!
        >>-----> [color=#FF0000]Rudhes[/color] hag [color=yellow]Owres[/color], Kajima <-----<<

I just got a set of light nano webs for the first time and although I love the sound I find them greasy.  It's not really a problem but when I'm praticing scales my fingers slide all over the place.  I'll probably try something else next?

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

Don't know how many times I have to say this on the forums here but, Hype is hype.  If you have to coat a string with something, you are dampening that string. If that's the sound you want, pay the money and be happy.  I prefer 80/20 strings for acoustics and only Ernie Ball slinky's for electrics (no I don't work for Ernie).  You'll save a ton of money and I can't tell the difference in string life (slinky's on a strat last way longer than slinky's on a Les Paul by the way, the spring tension has a lot to do with that).  Here's another thing to think about:  Great strings won't make a fair guitar sound good.  Fair Strings won't make a great guitar sound good.  Buy them all.  Try them all.  You'll find the one's that work for you. But don't fixate on the current fad.

Now available in 5G !

30 (edited by tangledup625 2009-05-26 02:13:55)

On my dreadnought (Taylor 810) I usually use Elixir Nanoweb Light-Medium (1-3 strings have the gauges of a light set, 4-6 guaged as from a medium set.)  This combination gives a little lower end on the Taylor (which needs it) but keeps the benefits of the light end for playing.  They cost me about $14 a set.  I usually purchase on line and get half a dozen sets at at a time (whatever it takes to get free shipping.)  I prefer the nanoweb.  I think that they sound clearer.  I usually get the phosphor bronze.., which adds a buck or two, but have a nice warm sound.
   For grins, I just put a set of D'addario EXP coated strings on (also a mixed set, which they call "Bluegrass).   So far (two days) they sound great.  Slightly clearer, more ring than the Elixir's, but what brand new strings don't sound good?!  I'll check back after a week or two.  (I usually change strings every three-four weeks, or before any rare gig that I play.)  I think that the D'Addario's cost about $8.50 a set.  That earlier post (I think from the UK) $41 a set???!!!  That is insane.  I know that I wouldn't be switching them out until they started to break.
   Speaking of breaking, is it just me, or do the G strings almost always break first?  Any theories of why that is the case?  My guess is because they are the slimmest of the wound strings, and therefore weaker, or maybe my bridge is sharp?

tangledup625 wrote:

Speaking of breaking, is it just me, or do the G strings almost always break first?  Any theories of why that is the case?  My guess is because they are the slimmest of the wound strings, and therefore weaker, or maybe my bridge is sharp?

In my experience as a casual guitarist for 20 yrs or so, this sounds very odd.  Just a little about my playing - acoustic, 5-8 hours per week, change strings about every 2-3 months, use dean markley blue steel when available (if not, whatever package looks nice)...  and I can't remember breaking a G string in the last 4 years at least.  Frankly, I can't recall the last time I broke a string, but it seems like the high E or B have broken most often for me over the years.

I'm not very intelligent about setups/repair, etc.  But, you may be on to something with the bridge being sharp.  Perhaps the nut is sharp?  After the string breaks, can you lay it back across the fretboard and see where it broke?  Seems like this would tell you if the nut or bridge was causing excessive wear.

I contacted Elixir due to the g string breaking. They sent me 3 g strings and a couple sets of new strings. All Good so far. I put the new set on my Taylor and the tone had changed. I checked the set many times played again nothing wrong with set up. I have 2 taylor 410's and have used med. polyweb on both. After checking I looked at the new strings, differant package top r corner old strings 80/20 bronze, new tone lasts 3-5x longer also anti-rust under polyweb. I contacted Elixir same item No. differand strings. There is a problum with ELIXIR strings. The older ones break the g string and the tone is out of sight on the replacement. They gave me a web site wjere I could buy strings, esorders@wlgore,com. read the comments, I'm not along on this. I talked to Taylor and they are now aware of a problum. The store goes on but will stop for does not get better. I'm looking for a replacement for Elixir or a place to dump my two Taylor 410's and my taylor 910.

I should proff read before I send

I just put a set of D'Addario EXP Lights on my Rogue, I switched from Martin Eric Clapton phosphor bronze strings.  So far so good, they don't feel as slick as Elixirs.  We'll see how they hold up, and since they were twice as much as the Martins, they'd better be good haha...

"A steering wheel don't mean you can drive, a warm body don't mean I'm alive"
Switchfoot

I am very happy with the sound and endurance of the Elixar strings. Here in Ontario I pay $25 for six strings but I think its worth it.

hi,. im new here,.am i wrong in thinking that all the complaints obout ELIXIR either polyweb or nanoweb strings are from acoustic players using very light sets eg,.10s,.11s,.etc,.this accounts for the"WIREY" sound due to string rattle and low action ,.the latter being caused by using sets that are much too lite for the standard acoustic guitar  string height and neck set-up,.anybody experiencing this should move up a few grades and see if this remedies the problem,.try 12 ,.13 gauge ,.and try to get your fingers stronger and used to the higher action,.and then you will discover the true natural sound of your acoustic and with no wirey or rattle problems,.a reasonible acoustic guitar cant sound very good if the action is as low {almost} as an electric guitar,.as the bridge and saddle has to drive the sound board from the strings to get the max tone out of your instrument therefore the strings have to be heavier so as to put more tension overall,.try it and see whats the best guage for bringing out the tone of your acoustic,.it will be worth it,a good example of acoustic sound ! tony rice,.also the guitarists with alison krauss,.ron block and dan timinsky,.also russ barenberg,. among others,..nice forum,.thanks for listening,.dobrocop.