Re: ACOUSTIC FENDERS

indy48 wrote:

Ive never played an acoustic Fender I liked... but some of the best electric's ive played  have been Fender...
Someof the best sounding acoustic's ive played are Washburn. I would lean more toward the higher end ones  but I think they play and sound very well.

I own a Taylor 314CE and a Washburn...I play the Washburn just about as much as the Taylor.  It has a wider neck, more bass, and I like how it sounds very much.  I'm a big fan of Washburn from my experience.

Well i haven't tried many of the Fender Acoustics but the ones i have tried were pretty good. Has anyone tried the Kingman or the T Bucket  Hot Rod special? I've been looking at getting one but i can't find a shop that has them in stock. The reviews are good and they look great but haven't been able to get my hands on either one.

Do we have any marketer in this forum?
If there is any please let me know.

28 (edited by Opa John 2009-01-25 07:06:37)

Captain Kennedy wrote:

My poor old Fender (made in America) is a F-75 sounded good 25 years ago and still sounds good.

I'd agree with  you ALMOST 100%. Your F-75, however was NOT made in America. Most likely made in Korea, but definitely not made here in the states.

I did quite a bit of reserch on the "F" line of Fenders made back in the mid 70's to very early 80's. None were "Made In America".

I happen to own an F-65 (bought new in early 82) and I'd put it up against just about anything out there in a laminated spruce and rosewood guitar. In fact, I DO put up against some very stiff competition every Saturday when I go to my Bluegrass jam session. I'm talking competition like a whole bunch of Martins...D-15's, 28's, HD-28's......you name it.......and my old Fender looks, plays and sounds as good as any of 'em. I keep it setup properly and I keep good strings on it....which is what ANY guitar needs to sound and play well.

Right now, Fender makes a DG-100 that sells for less than some of the most popular Yamahas, and the DG-100 blows 'em away in my opinion. I've also compared it to Epiphone Masterbilts and Taylor Big Babys, and, again, the Fender DG-100 wins, hands down at half the price of either of those. Epiphone is having a rash of body crack problems and the Big Babys just sound sort of dead to me.

So, even though Fender is not noted for their "great" acoustics, they're not all junk. For the same money as the DG-100 (about $250) you'd be hard pressed to find a better sounding or better built solid top dreadnought guitar. I think the problem Fender has, if there is one, is that they don't make a more expensive guitar than the Terri Clark Signature model.........and it tops out way less than what most people think they have to pay for a good sounding and well built guitar. I think most guitarists just look at the "Fender" name on the headstock and don't even try it. That fine by me. If my old F-65 ever falls apart, and it's not showing any signs of doing it any time soon, I'll replace it with, most likely, another Fender. I like 'em!

I've had some other, more expensive guitars that were falling apart by the time they were ten years old. This Fender of mine is 27 years old this month.......it's played on a regular basis.......and still holding up just fine. How can you argue with that?

Pass the paper bag that holds the bottle,
Feel the wheels rumblin' 'neath the floor.

I HAD MY FENDER DG-22D SET UP BY BENTLY'S IN EVERETT WA.THE LOCAL MARTIN REPAIR CENTER, IT BLEW THEM AWAY,IN THEIR WORDS AS GOOD AS ANY D18 ,I THINK TO MUCH DARNED HYPE IS PUT ON HOW MUCH IT COST,OR ITS NAME,GOOD POINT ,RESTORED AN OLD HARMONY ARCH TOP,WAS A GREAT FUN PROJECT,BUT IN ALL REALITY MOST CHEAP WELL $100. BUCKS AND UP CHINESE GUITARS WITH DECENT STRINGS WILL BLOW IT OUT OF THE WATER SOUND WISE. SEEMS THESE DAYS THINGS ARE BUILT TO A LOT TIGHTER TOLURANCES, YOU KNOW MODERN MANUFACTORING.GEEZ I NEED TO TAKE SPELLING CLASS OVER

30 (edited by wjhawk 2009-02-18 04:17:45)

Hello everyone I am a newbie, my wife and children bought me a Fender California Series Sonoran electro-acoustic(Gold) for fathers day '08. I absolutely love this guitar, it has a strat neck very good action a pleasure to play. Thanks to Chordie I am learning very quickly, I play at least 1 hr. everyday minimum. I researched this guitar for weeks before ordering, and waited about 8 weeks to get it, it was back ordered because of demand, it was well worth the wait. A friend of mine who is a professional musician and guitarist of 30 yrs. tried out this guitar and said he loved it; great action, easy for lead because of the cutaway, and he said it feels just like a strat because of the neck.  Any one looking for a great guitar for the money this is it. It was around $300.00 the finish is awsome a great looking and excellent sounding guitar for the $$$$'s. I highly recommend it. I'll will keep this guitar for the rest of time.
Hope this helps anyone considering a new acoustic.
Wally Hawkins
Niagara Falls Canada smile