Heroes Been Cowboys-crd Willie Nelson
1. I [D]grew up dreaming of being a cowboy
2. Cowboys are special with their own brand of misery
1. And [G]loving the cowboy [D]ways.
2. From being alone too long.
1. P[D]ursuing the life of my high riding heroes
2. You could die from the cold in the arms of a nightmare
1. I [E7] burned up my childhood [A7]days.
2. Knowing well that your best days are gone
1. I [D]learned all the rules of a moder day drifter
2. Picking up hookers instead of my pen
1. Don't you [G]hold on to nothing too [D]long
2. I let the words of my youth fade away.
1. Just [G]take what you need from the [D]ladies and [G]leave them
2. Old worn out saddles and old worm out memories
1. With the [D]words of a [A7]sad country [D]song.
2. With no one and no place to stay.
My [G]heroes have always been [D]cowboys
[E7]And they still are it [A7]seems
[G]Sadly in search of and [D]one step in [G]back of
Them[D]selves and their [A7]slow moving [D]dreams.
This song is in 3/4 time. It sounds best if you hit the bass note of the
chord on the first beat of each measure. You might want to put in some bass
runs like A-B-C#-D between A and D chords where it sounds right.