Topic: starting to sing

where do i start to learn coz i suck at it?

There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and alcohol!

Re: starting to sing

difficult question I tihnk.

Same advice as learning the guitar I suppose. Practice practice practice

But one word of advice I can give is make sure you are breathing properly. Without breathing properly you might not sing properly which can then lead to nodules on your vocal cords.

Maybe a couple of lessons from a proffesional just to get you started?

Or hopefully there is one or two singing teachers in here that could help, or someone that has had proffesional training.

Also can I say you may think you are terrible but you might not be as bad as you think. Most people if not all dont like to listen to themselves. But then maybe you are terrible and you have no hope, but I never go for that opinion. I tihnk everyone can sing, maybe not in the style they would like to but they can sing. ( if they can talk)

ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Just do it.
Make sure the audience is drunk.
For the record, I suck at singing too.  I suck less at singing than I did two years ago, because I sing every day.  Perhaps I have just anesthetized myself to the horrors of my voice.
There are books to teach you to sing.  I haven't used any.  They might be useful. 
Mostly I just make sure the audience is drunk.
Or I am, 'cause then what the audience thinks really doesn't matter.
You can also do sing-alongs.  The audience will sing along if they're drunk.

To be clear, I am an adult and my friends are adults.  This sort of behavior is usually in someone's yard or at a campground and no one drives anywhere.  We might be drunks, but we don't endanger anyone else with it. 

Except possibly their eardrums.  'Cause we suck at it.  However, what we lack in talent we make up for in volume.

Most of all - when in doubt, sing loud.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Just do it.
Make sure the audience is drunk.
For the record, I suck at singing too.  I suck less at singing than I did two years ago, because I sing every day.  Perhaps I have just anesthetized myself to the horrors of my voice.
There are books to teach you to sing.  I haven't used any.  They might be useful. 
Mostly I just make sure the audience is drunk.
Or I am, 'cause then what the audience thinks really doesn't matter.
You can also do sing-alongs.  The audience will sing along if they're drunk.

To be clear, I am an adult and my friends are adults.  This sort of behavior is usually in someone's yard or at a campground and no one drives anywhere.  We might be drunks, but we don't endanger anyone else with it. 

Except possibly their eardrums.  'Cause we suck at it.  However, what we lack in talent we make up for in volume.

Most of all - when in doubt, sing loud.

- Zurf

Zurf....  this post is so funny...!   lmao  big_smile

The time to be happy, is NOW !

Freshman acoustic, IbanezGAX70, MarshallMG15cd, Digitech:RP100

Singing is 99% confidence, and 1% talent.  And I'd fudge the talent a bit.   big_smile

To sing and suck less (always my goal) I work on moving as much air through my voice box as I can.  When you're singing in the car, sing loud and proud.   Find yourself a quiet spot away from the public, and do the same thing.

Eventually, you'll come to understand how you sound when you sing, and you'll get more comfortable with it.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Radchael1975 wrote:

Zurf....  this post is so funny...!   lmao  big_smile

You haven't heard us sing.  If you had, you would consider it tragic. 

Actually, there's a few fellows around the campfire who are quite good.  One fellow went to an open mic night and played a Ralph Stanley tune with his father.  The lead guy in the house band had played with Dr. Stanley for years.  At the break, he came and found my buddy and asked if he would come back up and do "Rank Strangers."  How about that?  A guy who personally knows Dr. Stanley, first time meeting and playing with this buddy REQUESTED "Rank Strangers".  He's real good.  A few of the guys are real good.  I'm not.  Everything I said about me sucking is absolutely true.  They're still nice enough to let me play with them.  In their defense, they are generally drunk at the time. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Once again Zurf has made a good point....  I know I was a better vocalist when I was drinking!  I wonder if the "better half" would allow as that is a good enough excuse to start again?   Nah....  fell off the wagon 5 years ago and I swear that deputy climbed out of the trunk of my car just to write the citation!  He came out of nowhere like "The Shadow".

Practice.... practice and sing along with everything.  Record yourself doing so, that you might get a feel for what key you are most comfortable in and your range.   Like everything else it gets better with time.

Take Care;
Doug

PS:  Among friends it really doesn't matter if you can harmonize exactly.... and the world would be better place if people laughed more often.  I'm doing my best to make the world better!  LOL

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

8 (edited by leodragon 2008-12-04 04:57:38)

So I guess alcohol increases one's confidence level?  Then you have to rely on that 1% talent to get you through. LOL

Try singing acappella and if you can hold a note then try simpler songs to develop a feel for your voice.  I'm not sure if your playing guitar while singing or just a singer. 
  I sing and play guitar both strumming and finger picking so I definitely get the full round of challenges from the variety.  And of course the P,P,P always helps.

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

leodragon wrote:

So I guess alcohol increases one's confidence level?  Then you have to rely on that 1% talent to get you through. LOL

In my case, it is a matter of reaching an balance between retaining coordination and memory while simultaneously diminishing inhibition. 

It's not for everyone, as Doug has clearly established.  I surely wouldn't encourage anyone to fall off the wagon merely to sing. 

- Zurf

Drink messes up fine motor control....I have found drink makes my playing worse.

Of course you could get vocal classes....

My ambition far exceeds my ability

Pick out a simple tune that you love. There has to be one that has few chords and the vocal line is not too rangy on the vocal.
Jot down all lyrics and then go back through and get the right chords - listing each chord in red ink above the sylable of the word where the chord hits. Play the chords on your guitar until you have them so "down" you can play them in your dreams. Then go back through and sing along with your guitar until the lyrics are memorized and you are totally sick of that song.
Play it for a trusted friend and ask for a true review. Accept honest criticizism with grace and humor.
Keep looking for ways to improve your rendition of that song.
Then focus and obsess on another (new to you) song.
Start out doing artists you can sing like who share your vocal range. Keep it simple at first but don't back down from a challenge.
Doing other artists will give you a list of singers you can sound like.
This will give you an idea of your own vocal limits and style when you try music your own way.
Start a list of tunes you think you can get away with.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I just sing away and let the song give me the best idea in which way to sing it.   By that I mean, if it's a folk tune, just let it out.

But, basically, I just go with the flow and do my best.   Of course the best advice here is to BREATHE.  And breathe properly.

I think I also suck at singing, but, actually I'm not that bad according to others.   When your singing for fun it's all good.

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

patrickthered wrote:

Drink messes up fine motor control....I have found drink makes my playing worse.

I can't remember who here said it, but "The more you drink, the better I sound."

I use that line every gig now.  big_smile

After thinking about this, if you are going to play and SING professionally then lessons may be a wise investment.  If your going to sing for your own pleasure and that of friends and family, then just sing it out, because in the long run, "The people who mind don't matter and the people who matter don't mind."  (Theodore Geisel aka Dr. Seuss)

Peace

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

jerome.oneil wrote:
patrickthered wrote:

I can't remember who here said it, but "The more you drink, the better I sound."

That was me, but I didn't originate it.  I heard it at a gig twenty years ago or so and picked it up.   

- Zurf

I played for 2 years, then got voice lessons, since my goal was to be a decent campfire guitarist I didn't want to be good at playing and suck at singing.  Luckily my kids piano teacher also teaches voice.  Just doing the warm up exercises they give you teaches you the concept of staying in key, which is the first thing you must do, staying in key the whole song unless there is a key change.  I must look pretty wierd singing AAHH-AAHH, EE-EE,  OH-OH, EE-EE AAHH-AAHH EE-EE OH going down the road, but now I'm singing in key.  In my car is the only place my family will tolerate my practicing, I had my teacher sing the practice exercises while I recorded them and can play them back anytime and sing along.  Seek professional help.  Your a better singer than you think.  BTW, I took up guitar at age 47, got voice lessons at 49, your never too old, the teachers typically love older pupils and will go out of their way to help because they know your there because you want to be. Best of luck.

-Mike

Wilcovecrue,

I was browsing around chordie on the recommended sites and stumbled across this one.

http://www.jeanniedeva.com/

An online tutor. I dont believe in online tutor for singing as it is not one on one  but there is a part you can sign up for free i think and she gives monthly free tips for singing.

Maybe worth a try if you are really that stuck with singing? But I would advise not to go paying for anything until you have a good bit of feedback o this site or any site. Or just take the free tips.

I think there would be a forum of some sort on singing on the net somewhere, something like chordie where guitarists help each other. If not hen there should be.

Ken

Greetings Ken, (alias upyerkilt)

Actually a forum on vocal assistance is not a bod idea, and it could be here on Chordie already hiding over there in the recording section with all those strange audiophiles.  I say strange, because over there all kinds of unusual music related stuff is going on.  Recordings are going back and forth among the followers of the section, making music, and lending aid and assistance in an audio format. 

There is the means to move sound around the planet and constructive assistance is available.

Perhaps it would be worth a mention to Russell.

Just a thought;
Take Care;
Doug

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Zurf wrote:
jerome.oneil wrote:
patrickthered wrote:

That was me, but I didn't originate it.  I heard it at a gig twenty years ago or so and picked it up.   

- Zurf

Well, the great lines aught to be shared, no?  And that's a good one.   We also do a tune about lawyers, where I joke about being a "member of the bar, and no, I don't mean you..."

Singing is a big leap for fairly new guitarists. For one,,, typically your brain is occupied with playing the darn guitar. So adding the voice can be a stretch. Second,,, even if you have a song you can sing, if you start singing and playing your first song, you may be very disapointed, as the key of the song will not match the key you are singing in.

It's easy to get disouraged, but don't.

I'm learning myself.  Take the song I'm working on now,,,, very, very simple. "My Hero's Have Always Been Cowboys".  First learn  a very simple strum for the song and get a feel. All downstrokes works fine. Next add words.

The song starts in the chord of "D" So start struming and put it out "I grew up dreaming.... of being a cowboy...". Your voice should match the D chord tone.   If it sounds off,,, try just rolling that D chord and and the word "I" till you get the "I" in the correct range.  The whole first line is the D chord. 4 measures in 3/4 time = DDD   DDD   DDD   DDD

Anyways,,, good luck. I've learned enough to enjoy singing on my own.   I really have no ambition to sing for people.  But I think most of us, with practice can get to a point where it's really enjoyable. Try teaching yourself. Remember the lessons you've learned for guitar can also apply to singing.

Good luck.

nightrider767 wrote:

Singing is a big leap for fairly new guitarists. For one,,, typically your brain is occupied with playing the darn guitar. So adding the voice can be a stretch. Second,,, even if you have a song you can sing, if you start singing and playing your first song, you may be very disapointed, as the key of the song will not match the key you are singing in.

It's easy to get disouraged, but don't.

that is probably a very valuabel piece of info and so so correct. when singing in a different key it might make a learning think they cannot sing.
And since if starting off they might not know about transposing etc,

great post

Ken